Subwoofer hum [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer hum

axionjaxion
02-14-2004, 11:04 AM
I have a subwoofer hum that I can't figure out. The subwoofer is powered. When connected to the Amp the hum is minimal. When the amp is turned off, the hum gets much louder. If I unplug the speaker cable from the back of the subwoofer the hum disappears. If I unplug the speaker cable from the back of the amp the hum does not change. This is annoying because it forces me to turn off the subwoofer whenever I turn off the amp. Any suggestions?

TinHere
02-14-2004, 11:32 AM
I have a subwoofer hum that I can't figure out. The subwoofer is powered. When connected to the Amp the hum is minimal. When the amp is turned off, the hum gets much louder. If I unplug the speaker cable from the back of the subwoofer the hum disappears. If I unplug the speaker cable from the back of the amp the hum does not change. This is annoying because it forces me to turn off the subwoofer whenever I turn off the amp. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Try a cheater plug [3 prong to 2 prong].

Good luck.

F1
02-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a ground loop issue. Try a cheater plug [3 prong to 2 prong].
Good luck.

Or try to plug the sub to another outlet.

joel2762
02-15-2004, 04:43 AM
What kind of subwoofer do you have? I have a Quest SW-880. It does the exact same thing...It's supposed to have auto shut-off but it never works..because of the humming I thought. So I brought it to my basement..No humming..It still didn't shut off. Oh well, it was supposed to have crossover too but it's not there :mad: ...I unplugged my VCR and the hum lowered noticeably...I don't know..what gives.