HT Components- under 4K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT Components- under 4K

nuawlins@comcast.net
02-11-2007, 05:49 AM
DIY-er building dedicated home theater- 20'X16' room. Considering the following components:
Marantz SR4001 receiver; Samsung DVD HD-960; Universal MX3000 remote; Panamax MAX 4300 surge protector; Speakercraft audio, consisting of MT6 one in wall L/R speakers; CRS one in ceiling surround speakers; MT6 one in wall center channel, Bass X-8 sub woofer. Not certain about the VCR yet.
I already have a Sanyo PLV Z-5 projector.
My questions are:
Are my proposed components compatiable? (HDMI viewing)
Which cables do you recommend for connectivity?
Is connectivity a task for a DIY-er, or should I consider hiring a pro installer?
Would appreciate any input anyone may have for me.

AVMASTER
02-11-2007, 03:12 PM
My questions are:
Are my proposed components compatiable? (HDMI viewing)
Which cables do you recommend for connectivity?
Is connectivity a task for a DIY-er, or should I consider hiring a pro installer?
Would appreciate any input anyone may have for me.[/QUOTE]

sure, they are "compatible" in terms of HDMI connectivity
short as possible HDMI cable
that depends on alot of things, need more info, i.e., where will the PJ be, where will the equip. be, will lighting be remotely controlled, where will the sub(s) be, power concerns, cooling concerns, will the screen be motorized, center channel placement, etc, etc, etc....

nuawlins@comcast.net
02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
the HT will be in a 16x20' room. Projector mounted in center ceiling. Built in A/V closet to the rear left of room- about 10-12 foot of cable needed. No remote screen- just a static Da-Lite.
Recessed lighting and scones on two independent IR dimmers
I hope to plug in all compos to the receiver- . All speakers (7) to be in-wall and in ceiling mounted (currently roughed-in room). Sub-woofer to be placed in far right corner.
Best Buy quoted me 1K for the install, including the initial consult. Does not include the cables/interconnects.
I'm really at a loss here- is 1K too much to install? And what should I be anticipating for cable costs?
Finally, what are your thoguths about mounting brackets for the in-wall speakers?

AVMASTER
02-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't know about BestBuys' installation capabilities but if that price includes pre-wire, acoustical treatment, equipment install, trim work, calibration, programming, and user training, then it's a deal. Right off the bat, I see issues with control, including lighting. Incorrect surround speakers and center channel, subwoofer placement, and possible issues with PJ placement. Mounting brackets are required! My recommendation: if you want to continue as a DIY project- do some more research; remember measure twice/cut once or hire a custom installer- more money but best performance for your money

nuawlins@comcast.net
02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
thanks for your input.... Best Buy will also program the MX3000 universal remote for an extra $300 - to hopefully include the lighting. I'll check on that one. Since we got most of our components from the various internet vendors, local HT pros are not interested in doing the installation part, stating that they are hesitant to deal with others' hardware for fear of liabilty/warranty violations.
Do you recommend a particualr speaker mounting system? We\re going with speakercraft MT6 one in wall and in ceiling speakers (7.1) with the subwoofer located on corner floor.