Looking for affordable speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for affordable speakers

SpankingVanillaice
02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I returned the Sony speakers since I did noticed that my JBL HLS410 sounds better and bad news is that my Pioneer receiver broke down so I had a get a different receiver that was used from a friend and he gave me it for only $65. It's a Pioneer VSX-D308 and it sounds ALOT better then my old one that broke down. But I this time really interested in which speaker is very good for entry level type? Like what brand should I get for speakers that are around $150 or less? I know you guys said about B&Ws and Paradigm but are those speakers affordable? I want to know what speakers is good for around $150.

SlumpBuster
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
You really need to check out these new speakers by a French company called Douche. I think you will really like thir Bag line of speakers.

anamorphic96
02-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Save your money until you get 249.00 and then get these. Probably the best bang for the buck money can buy.

Dont give us any stories about how all you have is 150.00 as well. If you can come up with that much you can surely save another 100.00. Even if it takes a couple of months. Just wait and actually get something good. If your not willing to do this. Get off the forums and stop wasting are time.

http://goodsound.com/equipment.shtml

Dusty Chalk
02-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Well, I used to say the Insignia NS-B2111 when they were $50 or less, but their price has jumped a little -- hey look, they're on sale for US$64...that should last a day or so...

Jump up to US$100 or so, and get the speaker from which they're ripped off...I mean, cloned...the Radiient Europa...

Jump to the $200+ range, and I'd go for the Onix X-LS.

anamorphic96
02-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Well, I used to say the Insignia NS-B2111 when they were $50 or less, but their price has jumped a little -- hey look, they're on sale for US$64...that should last a day or so...

Jump up to US$100 or so, and get the speaker from which they're ripped off...I mean, cloned...the Radiient Europa...

Nice call Dusty. I forgot about the Onix. There actually cheaper than the new Atoms as well.

Lets hope he listens to us.

basite
02-11-2007, 03:55 AM
crap,
here we go again...

hey look, he haves a new avatar...

my advice: save on, if you want b&w's, definately save on...
and, also think about other brands like wharfedale, or monitor audio, or paradigm, or axiom or so...

think about it...

Greetings,
Bert.

Mark111867
02-11-2007, 05:46 AM
There is a pair of Athena Technology ASB1.2 speakers on E-Bay for under $115, and that is the "buy now" option. I don't think that you can do much better for $115. The speakers are efficient and sound good for the money.

JohnMichael
02-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Dallas here is a link to the Athenas. You might want to check out the Polk R15 speakers they have been available for $100 a pair.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASB1%2E2

GMichael
02-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey Spanky,

Cool avitar.
I'm glad that you have decided to try new things. There are so many to choose from that it's very hard to call one the best. My advice would be to not be in a hurry. Take some time to hear as many choices as you can before deciding. This will also give you time to save up a little more. You don't HAVE to spend more. But it would be nice to have that option available.
If you do rush in to a hastey purchase, it's likely that you'll find something else that you like better a little later. Then you'll want to spend more to upgrade again.
Haste makes waste. Shop around. Listen twice, buy once.
Bring your favorite CD with you when you go to places to hear their speakers. It's easier to remember how they sound to you if you play the music you like on them.
Oh, and remember to have fun doing it. This is the second best part of buying new speakers. And don't let any Salesman (or woman) talk you into what they want to sell. They will push the ones that they make the most money on.

markw
02-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Saturday Audio Exchange has a pair of used Athena Audtion AS-F1's on sale for $129, plus shipping.

It's a long standing storefront company thats been around for years. I've dealt with them several times since 1998. In fact, I got most of my NAD stuff from them. ..and my JBL L-26's last year for $150/pair

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelASF1.htm

http://www.saturdayaudio.com

Snooze, you lose

JohnMichael
02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Dallas I do not knowif you are handy with a soldering iron but this might be a good speaker for you. You might enjoy assembling your own speaker.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-640&CFID=1567187&CFTOKEN=42597917

markw
02-11-2007, 12:06 PM
There is a pair of Athena Technology ASB1.2 speakers on E-Bay for under $115, and that is the "buy now" option. I don't think that you can do much better for $115. The speakers are efficient and sound good for the money.Dunno about that guy on ebay, but AudioAdvisor has 'em for $119/pair NIB, and this is from a real live audio dealer, not "Some guy" on ebay.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASB1.2

For the $4.00 difference in price, I know where I'd go. That, plus I know from experience they don;t play games with shipping.

Mark111867
02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi MarkW. The ASB1.2 speakers were NIB on E-Bay as well, but I hear what you're saying about the Audio Advisor deal. I'd probably go with Audio Advisor myself if given the choice. How things in Joisey?

markw
02-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi MarkW. The ASB1.2 speakers were NIB on E-Bay as well, but I hear what you're saying about the Audio Advisor deal. I'd probably go with Audio Advisor myself if given the choice. How things in Joisey?I appreciate you not flakking me on this. I wasn't trying to "one up" ya.

I'd much rather deal with a "real" store than "some guy" on ebay who can easily call his own shots, particularly when they can play so free and easy with shippping charges. .And, should there be a problem, at least with an authorized dealer, I've got a good chance of worrking it out.

But, IMNSHO, I'd jump on the AS-F1's for $125 at AA.

I'm actually right outside of NYC. 10 miles as the bird flies, 30 minutes by train of 90 minutes by car (on a good day).

If you're ever in the area, PM me a head of time, we'll do a Guinness or such.

Mark111867
02-11-2007, 02:44 PM
I appreciate you not flakking me on this. I wasn't trying to "one up" ya.

I'd much rather deal with a "real" store than "some guy" on ebay who can easily call his own shots, particularly when they can play so free and easy with shippping charges. .And, should there be a problem, at least with an authorized dealer, I've got a good chance of worrking it out.

But, IMNSHO, I'd jump on the AS-F1's for $125 at AA.

I'm actually right outside of NYC. 10 miles as the bird flies, 30 minutes by train of 90 minutes by car (on a good day).

If you're ever in the area, PM me a head of time, we'll do a Guinness or such.

Things here on the "Island" are good. A Guiness sounds good. If I make it to NYC, I'll definitely PM ya:)

MikeyBC
02-11-2007, 03:33 PM
look on e-bay for some used Paradigm's, PSB's or other well regarded brands.

emorphien
02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
either look on ebay or audiogon used, or see what pops up locally, or save a bit more and get the Onix X-LS from AV123.

markw
02-12-2007, 04:26 AM
I've got a friend in East Rochester I haven't been able to get hold of lately. She does travel a lot, though.

Jimmy C
02-12-2007, 05:34 AM

...the x-ls. Fairly refined, balanced, and easy on the ears. Considering the price, there isn't too much wrong with them. Matching powered sub available ($199!), and nice woodwork.

I have a pair of BR-1s as well... maybe a bit more bass comnpared to the Onix, at the expense of added "boxiness". Less efficient, also less expensive.

The lower Infinities are easy to find, and suprisingly good at the price point.

My bedroom is slowly being overrun by speakers...

emorphien
02-12-2007, 06:18 AM
I've got a friend in East Rochester I haven't been able to get hold of lately. She does travel a lot, though.
nope, the 100+ inches a few days ago missed us.

audio_dude
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm going to give a second vote to the new Atom Monitor v.5 speakers, they sound amazing, and are very efficient too, perfect for spanky's receiver!

blackraven
02-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Infinity Primus 160 if you can still find them. The new model the 162 cost more.
But didnt we have a whole thread on this before. I don't think that your really looking for advice as much as your yanking our chains! Every one has given you multiple recommendations before and they have been disregarded. So what is the point of this thread REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atom10
02-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Douche's speakers work great.