Doing my Install Shortly, want to future proof Question? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Doing my Install Shortly, want to future proof Question?

dsully444
02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I am upgrading my Family/theater shortly and am planning on a 7.1 with the 4 surrounds in-ceilings. Still deciding on brands but am thinking about Defin Techs 83s. Need to hear though.

The space above the room is attic space, which I have access to, so I was thinking of running the wire through the attic to the wall and down to the reciever. I want to be able to replace wires if I have to in the future and do not want anything permanent, would PVC pipe be good to place in the attice and run the wires through to the speakers or would there be something better to use? I am thinking it is only about 40 feet of pipe, which would be cheap. Yes I want a tube of some sorts to run the wires through so they are not permanently affixed and are protected. Any Thoughts for the install? Also, was planning on speaker wire from Parts-Express, but am not sure about which to get, I would assume at least 14 gauge. Room is 20Lx15Wx9H.

Resident Loser
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I am upgrading my Family/theater shortly and am planning on a 7.1 with the 4 surrounds in-ceilings. Still deciding on brands but am thinking about Defin Techs 83s. Need to hear though.

The space above the room is attic space, which I have access to, so I was thinking of running the wire through the attic to the wall and down to the reciever. I want to be able to replace wires if I have to in the future and do not want anything permanent, would PVC pipe be good to place in the attice and run the wires through to the speakers or would there be something better to use? I am thinking it is only about 40 feet of pipe, which would be cheap. Yes I want a tube of some sorts to run the wires through so they are not permanently affixed and are protected. Any Thoughts for the install? Also, was planning on speaker wire from Parts-Express, but am not sure about which to get, I would assume at least 14 gauge. Room is 20Lx15Wx9H.

...protected from what? If you will always have access, why not just drape them in the trough formed by the rooms' ceiling and joists...they don't need to be fastened at all...If you're worried about stepping on them, I'd say it's a non-issue. Stepping on the wires so draped will mean you are standing on the upper side of your downstairs rooms' ceiling, which isn't a good idea to begin with; picture Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation...

Running even low voltage wire through PVC may be prohibited by your zoning codes, so I'd check that first...and if your attic is also a part of your heating/ventilation system or you are part of a multi-family dwelling, Teflon or other PTFE/flame retardant stuff may also be required...

jimHJJ(...insurance companies get funny sometimes...)

dsully444
02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
It is my house in an attic with no heating or AC. The purpose is to be able to pull wires through with ease and replace with ease, plenty of wood work to get snagged up there, if it is completely not necessary, then you have answered my question. The pipes would negate me from ever having to go up there again if I have to make any chages to wiring. FYI, there is electricity in the attic for lights in my ceiling, so the speaker wires my run over these, I am assuming as long as I buy CL3 in wall wiring I should be fine right?

SAEA501
02-10-2007, 05:15 AM
The only place you might need tubing is when you go down the walls to your equipment from the attic. Tubing would make that run much easier. I would use Smurf Tubing, you can get it at most any home supply or online. Its a flexible, ribbed vinyl tubing that's easy to work with. Far as the attic, just use a high quality multi stranded copper, maybe 14 gauge, and don't lay it over your electrical wiring or fixtures.