Are you an expert? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are you an expert?

gjpham
02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi all,
How do you rank yourself in electronic world? do you know and understand how to read the spec. completely? if so, please read and please provide your inputs the diff between this two DVD players from Pioneer Elite.
Note: My spec posted below is just for reference and /or example, real spec could absolutely be found on the Net. Thanks a millions

Pioneer Elite DV-46av, msrp $400

Disc Capacity 1
Video Performance Features
Advanced Digital Direct Pixel Drive
Pure Cinema Progressive Scan
Video Digital/Analog Converter (DAC) 12-bit / 108 MHz Video DAC
DVD-RW Playback
Audio Performance Features
DVD-Audio Playback
SACD Playback
MP3 Playback
Audio Digital/Analog Converter (DAC) 24-bit / 92 KHz Audio DAC
Video Terminals
HDMI™ (High Definition MultiMedia Interface) x 1
Component Video Output x 1
S-Video Output x 1
Composite Video Outputs x 1
Parallels S-Video/Composite Outputs x 1
Audio Terminals
Analog Output x 1
Coaxial Digital Output (for Dolby Digital/ L PCM/DTS) x 1
Dimensions
Dimension (inches) 16.5 x 2 x 10 (WxHxD)
Weight 5lbs. 8 oz

And here is the Pioneer Elite DV-79avi, msrp $1,000
Basics
Product Type: DVD Player
Dimensions (W x D x H): 16.56" x 13.38" x 4.63"
Weight: 19.88 lbs.
Progressive Scan Output: Yes
Media Load Type: DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD-RW, MP3
Video D/A Convertor: 14-bit, 108MHz
Remote Control: Remote control - jog and joystick
Sound Output Mode: Surround sound
Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years limited
Audio System
Digital Audio Format: Dolby Digital output, DTS digital output
DVD
Built in Audio Decoder: Dolby Digital, DTS decoder
Media Load Type: Tray
Disc Capacity: 1
CD Playback Modes: Program play, random play
DVD Playback Modes: Still/step play, slow motion
DVD Features
MP3 Compatible: Yes
Inputs And Outputs
Connector Types: 1 x HDMI
1 x component video output
1 x S-video output
1 x composite video output
1 x parallel S-video/composite outputs
1 x analog audio output
1 x coaxial digital audio output
1 x optical digital audio output
1 x 6-channel audio output
1 x digital audio iLink output
Bottom
Country Of Origin : United States
Features: Pioneer DV79AVI - 1-Disc Progressive Scan DVD Player

Product Tools:
- Your Memory May Fade, But This Won't
- Star Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
- Email A Friend
Related Categories:
- DVD Players

- See all PIONEER

Resident Loser
02-09-2007, 09:19 AM
...I doubt you'll get anyone admitting to being a has-been drip...after all that's what an expert is...

What specs? Where? What you have provided are features, tech specs are a whole 'nother thing...besides specs may be somewhat indicative of performance, but your purchase is based on many, many things...Additionally, specs re: digital players of any sort are pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the ability to read 1s and 0s...they all do the same thing as per industry standard...It's how the transport is built, the fit and finish of the unit and the futzing with the signal the mfr. may do in the analog realm that accounts for price and/or sonic diff etc.

jimHJJ(...like buyin' a toaster...Do you want a Toastmaster or a Cuisinart?...)

GMichael
02-09-2007, 09:25 AM

jimHJJ(...like buyin' a toaster...Do you want a Toastmaster or a Cuisinart?...)

I would like my bread to be warmed, darkened and crunchy. How it gets that way means nothing to me.

JoeE SP9
02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Aaahhh, the toaster. A truly wasteful device. It turns moist fresh bread into stale burnt bread.
Mr. Pham, do you buy all your gear by features alone? How do you buy speakers? Different devices sound different. The differences in gear may not be as much as speaker differences. There are differences though. If features were what most of the posters looked for we would all have systems we really didn't like all that much. Sometimes the differences are not electronic but aesthetic. The feel of the switches and knobs on some gear is almost erotic. Even so, if that same gear didn't sound good all the sex appeal in the world wouldn't mean a hill of beans.:cornut:

recoveryone
02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Ditto on Loser remarks, but the main diffirence on these models I believe is the year it came out. The 79 was the flagship model from about a year ago. Now the 46 has the same features as the 79. The build (size/weight) is the only diffirence. I've seen the 79 price as low as mid $300 new on ebay so its up to you, they both will provide a excellent PQ. I have 2 DV-45A's and the PQ is great. But I will say this, Pioneer has been one of the leaders in laser video for over 30 years. And its really what you feed it, and not the player itself. It will make a good DVD (HiDef master) look awesome and it will do its best with bootleg or home burned stuff off the net.

I have had 3 Pioneer DV players over the last 10 years and all of them are still working great (passed my first Dv 525 to a relative) and everything I throw in them worked.

gjpham
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks all espcially RecoverOne.
I have the Elite 46, while I'm enjoying it (really!!!) in both audio and video i experienced it lightly noisy when play mostly thru out the front opening; very disturbing. On the other hand, the model 79 is much better built, at 19 lbs, it's almost 4 times heavier than my 46av. I'm heavily reading, researching and learning on the 79 but my knowledge to understand its spec is my only limitation; therefore, your inputs, thought comments, concerns or issues on those two players are truthfully appreciated.
Note: Best deal so far on the DV-79avi is $560 at www.Become.com

Thanks for reading,

Dusty Chalk
02-09-2007, 11:53 AM
A lot of what you're paying for with the DV-79avi is the "i" -- the digital connection to the corresponding Pioneer receiver with the i-Link interface. If you don't have the corresponding Pioneer receiver and don't plan on getting one, stick with the 46.

I mean, you can't go wrong by upgrading -- it's still better in other areas, I just wish they would make a corresponding player that had maybe digital outs only -- a "transport" for the receiver (well, maybe with a high quality two-channel out for my headphone amp).