Zone wiring questions for whole house [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Zone wiring questions for whole house

fonzarelli
02-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi all,

I am planning a major remodel soon and am in the process of planning for whole house audio (among other electronics). I have a couple of questions.

1. In regards to zones, I would like to be able to listen to different audio in different rooms. For example, I'd like to be able to listen to the television through the system in the living room but still be able to have the radio or cd playing in the kitchen. However, I also want to be able to listen to the same thing throughout both rooms. I don't want to have to go to the living room to decide what I want to do in the kitchen with audio though. So I am thinking I'd like to have a couple of sources for audio. One in the kitchen and one in the living room.

Can I have a switch in each room that allows me to select the source and then a volume control with the switch that lets me adjust the volume all with the same set of speakers?

2. I have a lot of music on my pc and ocassionally like top pipe in web music. What's the best way to add this into the system? A threeway switch for source selection in each room?

EDIT: I am interested in the wiring portion of the project so I am setup for anything I want in the future. ie What kind of wires do I need to run where to accomplish what I want?

Thanks.

Resident Loser
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi all,

I am planning a major remodel soon and am in the process of planning for whole house audio (among other electronics). I have a couple of questions.

1. In regards to zones, I would like to be able to listen to different audio in different rooms. For example, I'd like to be able to listen to the television through the system in the living room but still be able to have the radio or cd playing in the kitchen. However, I also want to be able to listen to the same thing throughout both rooms. I don't want to have to go to the living room to decide what I want to do in the kitchen with audio though. So I am thinking I'd like to have a couple of sources for audio. One in the kitchen and one in the living room.

Can I have a switch in each room that allows me to select the source and then a volume control with the switch that lets me adjust the volume all with the same set of speakers?

2. I have a lot of music on my pc and ocassionally like top pipe in web music. What's the best way to add this into the system? A threeway switch for source selection in each room?

EDIT: I am interested in the wiring portion of the project so I am setup for anything I want in the future. ie What kind of wires do I need to run where to accomplish what I want?

Thanks.

...need professional help...and I'm not bein' snotty...Can a system be cobbled together using regular consumer gear? Probably.

Will you be better off with a turn-key system designed to your needs, expansion and budget. Definitely.

Even something a seemingly simple as pre-wiring and the wire type depends on the equipment/controllers chosen, which in turn depends on your ultimate plan of operation...Wiil you need coax? Simple zip-cord? CAT5...Many components have zone and independent source capability, however centralizing all the gear and sources really should be a well thought out process...as such, it's really well beyond the scope of forums such as these...for an inkling you should visit mfr. sites like Russound or Niles Audio to see the various possibilities...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)