A/V Processor with vintage power amps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Processor with vintage power amps?

ludovico
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like to thank all who respond right off the bat.

I want to purchase a home theater processor that produces faithful two channel audio. I am building a 7.1 system powered by two Pioneer SPEC 4s for front and rear channels, a a couple of yet to be determined amps for center and surround channels. Front, rear and center channels are Klipsch Cornwalls, surround channels will be Advent loudspeakers circa 1970.

So I'm looking for recommendations for what processor to purchase. For 2-channel audio I would prefer as little processing as is available. I would like the rear channels to get the same signal as the fronts for music. A rack mountable unit would be ideal. I can spend between $1000-$1500 and am willing to purchase a used unit from Ebay or elsewhere. A cool looking unit that matches up nicely with the Pioneer gear would be an added bonus, but is not necessary.

Thanks and again to all who respond! As I get my feet wet I look forward to becoming an active participant in this forum.

basite
02-07-2007, 12:11 PM
try a rotel rsp-1068, they produce the sound good both in surround and in stereo...

that system will rock for sure...
I have a pair of Advents myself, treat them good, they'll never let you down...

although, the advents do have a lower sensetivity than the klipsch, this might cause some difficulties to set up right

anyways,
good luck,
Bert.

ludovico
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Would a dedicated amp for the advents help put them in balance with the cornwalls? Also, if I'm going vintage all around for the amps, do you have any suggestions? I figured that another SPEC 4 might be overkill for the surrounds. Any suggestions for a mono amp for the center channel?

Thanks!

Alex

basite
02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the rotel can solve the 'problem' between the advents and the cornwalls...

I have no idea on vintage amps though,
others will reply too, maybe they'll know something about the vintage amps...

Rock789
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
B&K Ref 50 ~$1100 on audiogon
B&K Rev30 ~$800 on audiogon
Anrthem AVM 20 ~$1500 on audiogon

probably find simialr prices on ebay...

AVMASTER
02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
check out the Parasound HALO C2, not only will match your Pioneer SPEC 4 amps visually but arguably one of the best surround processors for two channel playback currently available; I can't begin to tell how many ways it can be tweeked manually( auto-calibrate also) but also can be setup via computer with supplied software

ludovico
02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the all the help. I am now on the look out for all of these possibilities.

One more question: has anyone tried the Sunfire Theater Grand series? I've read a couple of good reviews. the TG III seems like it might meet my needs. . .

N. Abstentia
02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Don't forget about the Outlaw Audio 990 which is praised on it's 2 channel performance. It's an outstanding preamp for $1100.