MMF-5, Linn Axis or Rega P3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMF-5, Linn Axis or Rega P3

62ssw
02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Looking to get back to vinyl and I need advise on a starter turntable. I am kicking around either the Music Hall MMF-5, Linn Axis or Rega P3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jrhymeammo
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Welcome back to the madness.

Are you looking to purchase it new? Looks like used since you have the Linn Axis in your list. Then absolutely make sure the seller will be shipping the deck in original packaging. If your overall budget for a new spinner's around $700, then I would get a cheaper deck and a better cart. Do you have a phono stage?

62ssw
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
The phono pre-amp, which I believe is what you are referring to, would be the next leg in my long journey. Any suggestions?

jrhymeammo
02-06-2007, 06:51 PM
If your receiver already has a phono input, then I would just get a MM cart and see if vinyl is something you really wanna get back into. If it's for you, then get a MM/MC phono pre and a MC cart. Low output MC cart has be experienced as long as your PPAmp is quite enough. How about a battery powered Sutherland PH. D? WHat is your budget? For under $150, I would try NAD or Pro-Ject. I used to have the TubeBox made by P-J which was a joy to play.

MMF-5 would be nice because you can hook'up a Speedbox. I'm not a fan of Rega decks since they have to be modified quite a bit to adjust your VTA and speed stability problem I've read about. If you can't adjust the VTA, then I would forget about the deck

What is your budget?

62ssw
02-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Now my head is ready to split. I have an Outlaw990 Pre and I referred to the manual and it suggests that the phone is used with a moving magnet style. As such, would I still need the phono stage?

62ssw
02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Sorry, I didn't answer all of your questions. As for a budget, I don't really have one.

Dusty Chalk
02-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Now my head is ready to split. I have an Outlaw990 Pre and I referred to the manual and it suggests that the phone is used with a moving magnet style. As such, would I still need the phono stage?No, but when you do settle on a cartridge, I would stick with moving magnet. The phono stage does two things -- amplify the signal, and apply the RIAA EQ -- you can do the first multiple times (if careful), but you do not want to do the latter more than once. And it's very hard to amplify a MC cartridge before plugging it into a MM type input without introducing loads of noise, so I would stick with a MM cartridge.

blackraven
02-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I like the MMF-5 over the Rega, I have not read many good things about Rega TT's. Most of them are not even made by rega just like Musichall TT's are made by Project.
Check out the Project RM- 6 TT which comes with a speed box, the lower priced Project RM-5 or the music hall MMF-7.

JohnMichael
02-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I will vote for the Rega P3 made by Rega. My Rega Planar 2 has worked without problems or flaws for many years now. Vertical tracking can be adjusted on the Rega arms by using 2mm or 4mm spacers which are easily installed. I onced owned a Thorens that was manufactured in the ProJect plant and it was the most unreliable piece of audio equipment I have ever owned.

jrhymeammo
02-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Vertical tracking can be adjusted on the Rega arms by using 2mm or 4mm spacers which are easily installed.

call me anal. 2 and 4mm adjustment just arent enough for me. If they start selling a 1mm spacer, I will forever end my disencouragement forwards Rega decks. Great arm, no doubt.

blackraven
02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
The thorens TT's that are made by project are junk, but the project line of TT's and the Music Hall TT's made by project are excellent. The problem with the Thorens is that you are paying for the name, not quality until you get into their higher end lines.

JohnMichael
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
call me anal. 2 and 4mm adjustment just arent enough for me. If they start selling a 1mm spacer, I will forever end my disencouragement forwards Rega decks. Great arm, no doubt.

Hi Anal. LOL I know you like to tweak VTA and I am happy with it in the general area due to the variation of record thickness. Each time you raise or lower your arm you are changing overhang and offset. Having overhang and offset correct is what I am anal about. Let us agree to disagree. This one feature does not reduce the quality of Rega's to many of us.

jrhymeammo
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Anal. LOL I know you like to tweak VTA and I am happy with it in the general area due to the variation of record thickness. Each time you raise or lower your arm you are changing ovehang and offset. Having overhang and offset correct is what I am anal about. Let us agree to disagree. This one feature does not reduce the quality of Rega's to many of us.

Very true. Good nuff for J.

royphil345
02-10-2007, 08:17 PM

1 mm ??? Gosh... If my VTA was off by a whole mm...

Adjusting VTA fractions of a mm sure isn't going to effect overhang much. I'm starting to wonder exactly how important cartridge alignment is, since it changes across the record and remains largely inaudible unless there's mistracking. I've also noticed that there are several different alignment standards. You can pretty much mount a cartridge anywhere on the headshell you want and it will agree with one of them... :D

None of my previous tables had adjustable VTA. After being able to adjust it, I don't think I could ever go back. I don't adjust for different records... 1mm seriously makes a HUGE difference though...

jrhymeammo
02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm starting to wonder exactly how important cartridge alignment is, since it changes across the record and remains largely inaudible unless there's mistracking. I've also noticed that there are several different alignment standards. You can pretty much mount a cartridge anywhere on the headshell you want and it will agree with one of them... :D

None of my previous tables had adjustable VTA. After being able to adjust it, I don't think I could ever go back. I don't adjust for different records... 1mm seriously makes a HUGE difference though...

As you know, longer tonearms will yield to less error across the entire record surface, but I'm not trying to get a deck with a 15" arm.
My next deck would most likely have a liner tracking.......headshell My previous deck(Pioneer PL-1000) had a liner tracking TA, but it was kinda noisy, so I pretty much gave it to my friend. I shoulda kept the damn thing. Oh well.

Richard Jones
03-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Tough call. I had a Rega 3 (Not P-3) and the motor quit after 7 yrs of not very heavy use. The belt is more expensive than my VPI belt.
The Linn is no longer made so beware used. The MMF I know nothing about.
The Rega 3 motor was quietier than my VPI but to me the rest of the
TT except for the arm is junk with plastic screws here & there. By the way the arm is on my VPI Junior which I've owned now for 10 yrs no problems.

DCRJ46