Floor Standing Speakers in the $500 - $1000 Range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Floor Standing Speakers in the $500 - $1000 Range

NickF
02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not going to lie; I know next to nothing about speakers. I've always been more of a headphone guy, but as of late I've become more interested in floor standers, as I'm realizing that 'phones can only take me so far in audio enjoyment. My reference sound is a set of Klipsch's that I have downstairs connected to my TV; I couldn't tell you the exact model, only that they're not in production.

Through headphones, I have acquired many Hi-Fi accessories that I plan to use with the speakers. For sources, I have a NAD T585 player that I use for all my CD / SACD needs, and an X-Fi Elite Pro sound card when I'm at my computer. I also have a self-built Heath power amplifier (I don't know any of the specs) that I'm planning on using to drive the speakers.

I listen to a lot of John Mayer, Dave Matthews, and other alternative rock, with the occasional Jazz song in between. Because of this, I'm looking for a slightly warm sound signature that doesn't sacrifice detail, and keep in mind that I'm not planning on getting a sub at the moment.

So to get to the point (I know this has been a somewhat unnecessarily long post), can any of you recommend a good set of floorstanders for under $1K?

PeruvianSkies
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, how about something from PSB's Image line? You can get the Image T65 from dmc-electronics for about $800. That's a great speaker for the price. Although you should audition before buying anything. Check to see if you have anyone in your area that carries PSB. You may also like the B&W stuff or the higher end stuff from Polk.

NickF
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, how about something from PSB's Image line? You can get the Image T65 from dmc-electronics for about $800. That's a great speaker for the price. Although you should audition before buying anything. Check to see if you have anyone in your area that carries PSB. You may also like the B&W stuff or the higher end stuff from Polk.

They seem to be a good possibility (although with no frame of reference, I couldn't tell you what a 'bad possibility' is) and living in the NYC area, I'll be sure to audition them as soon as I have a free schedule. Until then, any more suggestions? I'd like to visit the big apple only once to audition multiple speakers in my price range, and then decide on the ones I like most.

Florian
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
If your looking for a Reference, try Sound by Singer in NY- I know they cater the very upstairs market but maybe you can get a true bargain there. Give it a shot.

NickF
02-06-2007, 02:51 PM
If your looking for a Reference, try Sound by Singer in NY- I know they cater the very upstairs market but maybe you can get a true bargain there. Give it a shot.

That's exactly the store I was thinking of. :) I've auditioned many, many audio related items there, and they always seem to have a great selection and helpful sales people.

N. Abstentia
02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm not a huge fan of floorstanders, but I actually liked the Paradigm Monitor 11's and found them to be one of the best floorstanders I've ever heard. I think probably the array of multiple smaller speakers is why....they sound very tight and dynamic and not muddy at all unlike most floorstanders. Put them on your audition list!

Jimmy C
02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not going to lie; I know next to nothing about speakers. I've always been more of a headphone guy, but as of late I've become more interested in floor standers, as I'm realizing that 'phones can only take me so far in audio enjoyment. My reference sound is a set of Klipsch's that I have downstairs connected to my TV; I couldn't tell you the exact model, only that they're not in production.

Through headphones, I have acquired many Hi-Fi accessories that I plan to use with the speakers. For sources, I have a NAD T585 player that I use for all my CD / SACD needs, and an X-Fi Elite Pro sound card when I'm at my computer. I also have a self-built Heath power amplifier (I don't know any of the specs) that I'm planning on using to drive the speakers.

I listen to a lot of John Mayer, Dave Matthews, and other alternative rock, with the occasional Jazz song in between. Because of this, I'm looking for a slightly warm sound signature that doesn't sacrifice detail, and keep in mind that I'm not planning on getting a sub at the moment.

So to get to the point (I know this has been a somewhat unnecessarily long post), can any of you recommend a good set of floorstanders for under $1K?

..."Sound by Singer", they carry more expensive brands. That in no way means you can't get close, or get satisfying music from much less expensive gear.

...as Peruvian stated, the PSB line is quite nice. I recently heard them, we have a new dealer near my home. Certainly worthy of an audition.

I almost hate to admit it, but GOOD sound can come from a chain store <aaacck>, on the cheap... check out the Infinity line.

Another idea would be from www.AV123.com - the x-series. I have the stand-mounts (x-ls), a paltry $220. Smooth and resolving, nicely finished. The bigger brother (IIRC) is another $100 or so. I purchased unheard (for fun!), but now have faith in what they do.

Ahh... buying used opens up many options, maybe a used pair of Vandy 2CEs?

Also, don't rule out smaller, bookshelf transducers... sometimes less is more... sins of omission, rather than commision.

You're going to have to go listen to everything you can, it's your ears!

Florian
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Yes, good can come from cheap, and some expensive stuff is bad etc...

Bottom line, get quality. Dont let someone talk to you into all High End is bad. Sound by Singer is amongst the best audio stores around. They carry only the finest and i am sure they will give fantastic service and who knows, mabye they have a usually expensive speaker as a demo modell for less. Give it a shot! I am no fan of commerical brands.

emorphien
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd look at PSB Image, Focal Chorus series (700 and 800). If you like a slightly warm speaker I do find the PSBs to be on the warmer side of neutral, but I don't have a lot of experience with them so I don't know if that's true across the whole line. Focals are fairly neutral IMO but worth hearing I think.

Totems are rather warm, I like them but I don't know if you will. I don't know what you can get a chance to listen to, but I'd just hear everything they've got.

Carl Reid
02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
PSB, Mission, Wharfedale, B&W & Paradigm all have offerings in your price range worth listening to... You might also want to check out Klipsch (unique sound) and if you're not averse to internet home trials, some of the internet based audio dealers like Axiom and AV123...

audio_dude
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Mission M35i, amazing speaker, and its got just the sound signature you're looking for (ps, my dad owns a pair, they're right beside me right now ;))

Bonus is a silkdome tweeter, which is amazing for the kind of music you listen too, so smooth and soft!

blackraven
02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
All the speakers mentioned above are good. You should also consider the infinity beta 50's. Excellent sounding speaker at a good price.

drseid
02-07-2007, 05:18 AM

I know this is going to sound kind of snobbish, but in the $500-$1000 range new, I have not heard any floorstanders that would be considered "good" to my ears. Of course my definition of good and yours can easily vary... I just think you will be disappointed when you compare floorstanders in that price range to the kind of sound quality you are already getting with a good set of headphones.

You can definitely find some good *mini-monitors* in that price range new (Consonance Eric-1s come to mind, along with the Spendor 3/5s, Regas, etc.) and used even moreso (Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors, Spendor 3/1Ps, Ellis Audio 1801Bs, etc.).

If you insist on floorstanders, then I recommend looking solely at the used market (and keep to the top of your price range)... For that price used, you may be able to acquire a pair of Consonance Eric-3s, Silverline Preludes or maybe even an older pair of Legacy Audio Classics.

Good luck,

---Dave

SlumpBuster
02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Ahh, the $1000 floor stander question. Always somewhat controversial. Is $1000 enough to get a good floorstander? I think so. Can you get a more refined monitor in the same price range? Of course.

But floorstanders have a fun factor. Even though I would still want a subwoofer too even for only two channel, and that will add to the budget. In my experience most floor standers in this price range will not rock Crystal Method's "Roll It Up'" or that 50hz slam in the Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey."

But, you say, "Slump, I don't listen to Roll It Up or Brass Monkey?" Ahh, but you do listen to DMB. Listen to "Two Step" (particularly on the Live at Red Rocks (1995) album, but the Crash version works too) with a proper sub and then tell me you don't need a sub.

So here are my recommendations in the $1000 neighborhood, all based on the Dayton subs.
First sub choice: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-770
Second sub choice:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-760

Coupled with:
Paradigm Monitor 7: $750 retail
Paradigm Monitor 11: $1200 retail; $750 or less on ebay.

Or, in the same price range
Kef IQ 5
Kef IQ 7

Or, maybe something a little outside the box (get it?) with the Magnepan MMG:
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

There's my two cents.