Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian: self titled [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian: self titled

noddin0ff
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Not an album title that rolls easily off the tongue...

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian (I’ll call it FCM for short)

Another one that caught my eye. I only recently found Bill Frisell. I’m still not sure where my general take on his style is. A minimalist guitarist atmospheric noodler maybe. I picked up this one because 1) I saw it. 2) It had Ron Carter in the billing. 3) I’m curious.

I picked up two previous albums before this. Unspeakable and East/West. I really like Unspeakable, I can’t quite get into East/West.

FMC is real pleasant. To me, having Ron Carter on bass brings some focus to the noodling. Sonically, this is a pretty straight-forward trio. Albeit, one with a real impressive roster. FMC It has a lilt and swing with a mix of the blues and angular quirkiness. A couple T. Monk compositions bring a nice jazzy swing…gentle jazzy swing. It stays in the jazz arena rather than the ambient art noodling arena. There are some sweet slow tender moments. Some nice takes on You Are My Sunshine and I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry. Not sure YAMS works completely for me, but ISLICC does. The album brings some of the old and puts a personal touch on it. These guys are just good at what they do.

It’s a jazz album that may become a Sunday morning album of choice. Involving and easy to listen to. I’ll upload a Monk track.

Misterioso (http://www.mediafire.com/?2ggdomty5qy)

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Not an album title that rolls easily off the tongue...

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian (I’ll call it FCM for short)

Another one that caught my eye. I only recently found Bill Frisell. I’m still not sure where my general take on his style is. A minimalist guitarist atmospheric noodler maybe. I picked up this one because 1) I saw it. 2) It had Ron Carter in the billing. 3) I’m curious.

I picked up two previous albums before this. Unspeakable and East/West. I really like Unspeakable, I can’t quite get into East/West.

FMC is real pleasant. To me, having Ron Carter on bass brings some focus to the noodling. Sonically, this is a pretty straight-forward trio. Albeit, one with a real impressive roster. FMC It has a lilt and swing with a mix of the blues and angular quirkiness. A couple T. Monk compositions bring a nice jazzy swing…gentle jazzy swing. It stays in the jazz arena rather than the ambient art noodling arena. There are some sweet slow tender moments. Some nice takes on You Are My Sunshine and I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry. Not sure YAMS works completely for me, but ISLICC does. The album brings some of the old and puts a personal touch on it. These guys are just good at what they do.

It’s a jazz album that may become a Sunday morning album of choice. Involving and easy to listen to. I’ll upload a Monk track.

Misterioso (http://www.mediafire.com/?2ggdomty5qy)

...ever mention Frisell's Gone Just Like Train...Jim Keltner on drums and Viktor Krauss on bass...Nice album, excellent production values...a little spacey/noodley@Xs but overall nice...

jimHJJ(...I'll hafta' check out FCM...)

noddin0ff
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks, RL. I'm sure you'll like it. I think I originally picked up Bill Frisell based on one of your reviews. I'll look into Gone....