For the fun of it... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For the fun of it...

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 07:05 AM
...there's another thread (in another forum) re: RFI in the form of unwanted program material...but alienating rhetoric precludes my further participation in it...However, I did see some statements that lead me to believe there are some misconceptions on the subject.

In my nearly forty years of telecom experience, radio reception on low powered or even unpowered systems isn't all that uncommon...ask anyone even slightly familiar with a crystal radio; same basic concept. It uses a minimum of components including the "cat's whisker" (which actually works due to it's imperfect contact junction*>see below<) and zero power source to snatch the all-pervasive AM signals out of thin air...

AM transmitters are the usual suspect...without gettin' all techie about it, trust me, it's a fact...

At this point I'll interject with some salient quotes from the FCC:

Common Causes

Before you can resolve an interference problem you must isolate the actual interference source. Interference originates from many sources - the equipment itself, your residence, or the neighborhood.

The two most common causes of interference are transmitters and electrical equipment. Communication systems that transmit signals (transmitters) are capable of generating interference. These systems include amateur radios, CBs, and radio and television stations. Electrical interference may be caused by power lines or electrical equipment in your home.

And this is probably the best part, particularly for those hi-end folks who subscribe to the minimalist mythology:

Transmitter Interference

Transmitter interference is normally caused by the actual design of the (interfered-with) equipment itself. Many manufacturers do not protect internal wiring with adequate shielding or sufficient filtering, so the interfered-with equipment is susceptible to receiving unwanted signals - interference.

*The source may be as simple as a frayed wire that connects your speakers to an amplifier. A faulty wire can act as an antenna that will carry interfering signals. Check the incoming wire from your outside antenna for any damage or corrosion. Replace any twin-lead cable with a coaxial cable - which offers the best protection from all types of outside interference.

To determine whether the interference is coming from the interfered-with equipment itself, unplug one component at a time on the interfered-with equipment or on other equipment to see if you can isolate the source. Also, disconnect other electrical equipment (answering machines, telephones, fax machines, etc.) one by one. If the problem goes away when the device is disconnected, you have found the source - the device itself.

Check to be certain everything that needs to be grounded is, including AC outlets...Ex Post Facto: And when I say grounded, I mean the ground leg of the buildings electrical system must be tied to a cold water pipe, a ground stake or the commercial AC ground...If one disconnects a ground in order to eliminate some interference to me it's an indication that the "true" ground has been interupted somewhere along the line and that the bulk of the grounding effect is actually an atmospheric ground which will have a difference in potential to an earth ground as measured with a VOM...it's also a dangerous situation.

Many times it's simply wire or device orientation that acts as an antenna...try moving the interconnects...which BTW should be as short and shielded as possible...Even devices connected via the mains and on the same circuit can be part of the problem...it can be a cumulative effect that actually "fine tunes" your unwanted "receiver"...Perhaps unplugging the whatever-it-is in the next room may have an effect, particluarly in older apartments having the bare minimum of circuit separation...Even the proximity of your body or that of your significant other or pet can play a part...

Coiling wires can further exacerbate the problem...

Low pass filters with rejection characteristics of frequencies above 600khz can be purchased/modified/DIYd...

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

kexodusc
02-06-2007, 07:37 AM
What the....HEY!!! Who let you out of the Audio Lab...get back in your hole!!! :D

GMichael
02-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Huh? What'd he say?

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 08:09 AM
What the....HEY!!! Who let you out of the Audio Lab...get back in your hole!!! :D

...I slipped the keeper a six-pack of Colt tall-boys and he's noddin'...

I was wunnerin' where else to post but I figured judging by the never-ending crush of traffic, the "LAB" should be the last place for it...

jimHJJ(...I'll go quietly now...)

JoeE SP9
02-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Because he doesn't like C&W you can't help? That's really kind of small!:ihih:

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Because he doesn't like C&W you can't help? That's really kind of small!:ihih:

...and this is where the fun comes in, ever since that achey-breakey, mullet-headed moron ruined C&W music, I can't stand the current crop of it either...however, my opinion is that it's ill-advised to ask for help and in the same breath alienate a segment of the population that may very well have either a definitive answer or a plan of action to cope with it...and while I may be mistaken, IMHO there's a better chance of getting such an answer from folks used to gettin' down'n'dirty it their blue-collar workday (or on their truck) who'd rather listen to Patsy Cline than Ho' Dawg or some such (c)rap/indie/techno-twaddle...

It's the priciple of the thing...

jimHJJ(...but then again, that's just me...)

E-Stat
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM
However, I did see some statements that lead me to believe there are some misconceptions on the subject.

Indeed. Some guys don't "believe" in the audible affects of RFI.

Woodman on PCs (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=68518&postcount=21)

rw

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Indeed. Some guys don't "believe" in the audible affects of RFI.

Woodman on PCs (http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=68518&postcount=21)

rw

...I really don't knowhow to respond without sounding like a snotty b@stard (like that's ever stopped me before) but there's a big diif in the empirical reality of hearing Kelly Pickler through your rig as a result of a fairly common happenstance, which BTW everyone can hear, and a smudging of the "inner details" as a result of picking the wrong power cord...Anecdotal at best, requiring 24karat pinnae...

jimHJJ(...I'm eatin' the grapefruit...would you like an apple or an orange?...)

E-Stat
02-06-2007, 10:57 AM
but there's a big diif in the empirical reality of hearing Kelly Pickler through your rig as a result of a fairly common happenstance, which BTW everyone can hear, and a smudging of the "inner details" as a result of picking the wrong power cord.

Who is Kelly Pickler? Is she another non-experiential theorist on this topic?

rw

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Who is Kelly Pickler? Is she another non-experiential theorist on this topic?

rw

...I should have said The Dixie Chicks or Keith Urban or another of that ilk...

jimHJJ(...thought an American Idol wannabe was the obvious choice, sorry...)

E-Stat
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM
...I should have said The Dixie Chicks or Keith Urban or another of that ilk...

jimHJJ(...thought an American Idol wannabe was the obvious choice, sorry...)
Ah, American Idol and C&W stars. Sorry - not really familiar with either. Who's the guy who really nails some of the AI folks? Simon something? Those would be good questions for my mother-in-law.

rw

Resident Loser
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Ah, American Idol and C&W stars. Sorry - not really familiar with either. Who's the guy who really nails some of the AI folks? Simon something? Those would be good questions for my mother-in-law.

rw

...familiar with the thread that spawned this one I'd expect...a link if you're at all interested in the applicable crtieria:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=178589

In fact you don't seem to be even reasonably conversant with this very one...but be that as it may...

Yes, Simon is very entertaining...I enjoy seeing the talentless hopefuls go down in flames, the only real reason to watch it IMO...

Ahh, but could she drive a 6ft. ground rod with an eight-pound sledge?

I'll let you go now...I know how difficult it can be to choose from the dozen or so absolutely pristine discs that lets your PC-centric system really shine...

jimHJJ(...oooh, there's a good one, Dave Grusin's Discovered Again!...)

E-Stat
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
In fact you don't seem to be even reasonably conversant with this very one...but be that as it may...
I was not. I find that I cannot keep my cell phone even remotely close to the Bellari phono pre in my vintage system for the same reason. Goes bonkers. Most RFI pollution in my experience is not that overt. Just audible.

Yes, Simon is very entertaining...I enjoy seeing the talentless hopefuls go down in flames, the only real reason to watch it IMO...
I've only seen short clips of his, um criticism. :)

I'll let you go now...I know how difficult it can be to choose from the dozen or so absolutely pristine discs that lets your PC-centric system really shine...
Originally, I ripped all my CDs to 320k MP3. Now, I've gone back and started ripping them to WAV. Decided difference at the top on my PC system with a range of music. May eventually bother to convert them to a lossless format.

rw

Dusty Chalk
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
So what you're saying is, this could be fixed by putting your unit in a big microwave?

Uh...that sounded bad...

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 05:32 AM
So what you're saying is, this could be fixed by putting your unit in a big microwave?

Uh...that sounded bad...

...no, perhaps a well-grounded convection oven...

jimHJJ(...and I have no idea what that means...)

JoeE SP9
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
...and this is where the fun comes in, ever since that achey-breakey, mullet-headed moron ruined C&W music, I can't stand the current crop of it either...however, my opinion is that it's ill-advised to ask for help and in the same breath alienate a segment of the population that may very well have either a definitive answer or a plan of action to cope with it...and while I may be mistaken, IMHO there's a better chance of getting such an answer from folks used to gettin' down'n'dirty it their blue-collar workday (or on their truck) who'd rather listen to Patsy Cline than Ho' Dawg or some such (c)rap/indie/techno-twaddle...

It's the priciple of the thing...

jimHJJ(...but then again, that's just me...)
What's a Ho' Dawg?:ihih:

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
What's a Ho' Dawg?:ihih:

...that I avoid all of what passes these days for contemporary "popular" music, my familiarity with actual names of the perpetrators is sorely lacking...hence my fictitious appellation...

jimHJJ(...while it wish it could have been funnier, simply consider it artistic license...)

markw
02-07-2007, 10:19 AM
What's a Ho' Dawg?:ihih:I wuz thinkin' Courtney Love.

GMichael
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
So, this is how Alice felt in Wonderland.

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
So, this is how Alice felt in Wonderland.

...one pill made her bigger and one pill made her small...but the ones that doctor gives me, does not one effin' thing at all...

jimHJJ(...at least nothing to feed my head...)

GMichael
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
...one pill made her bigger and one pill made her small...but the ones that doctor gives me, does not one effin' thing at all...

jimHJJ(...at least nothing to feed my head...)

...when she's 10 feet tall?

:5: :11: :4:

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 12:05 PM
...when she's 10 feet tall?

:5: :11: :4:

...After Bathing At Baxter's, why not lay your weary head on a Surrealistic Pillow...

jimHJJ(...gee, this is fun...but then I'm easily amused...)

Holy Carp! I think I just had a flashback...the screen turned all blue with teal print, IN A DIFFERENT FONT, but now it's back...nevermind...

GMichael
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
...After Bathing At Baxter's, why not lay your weary head on a Surrealistic Pillow...

jimHJJ(...gee, this is fun...but then I'm easily amused...)

Holy Carp! I think I just had a flashback...the screen turned all blue with teal print, IN A DIFFERENT FONT, but now it's back...nevermind...

Are you anywhere near a computer right now?

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Are you anywhere near a computer right now?

jimHJJ(...no!...)

GMichael
02-07-2007, 01:01 PM
jimHJJ(...no!...)

OK, let me know when you get back.

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
OK, let me know when you get back.

...not 'til tomorrow...

jimHJJ(...I'll let you know then...)

GMichael
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
...not 'til tomorrow...

jimHJJ(...I'll let you know then...)

OK, talk to you then.

Inspired from a conversation I had with our Senior VP today.

His phone msg to me: Please call me ASAP!
Me calling back: Hello? What's up?
Him: Are you near a phone right now?
Me: (confused, looks around the office to spot a phone on my desk) Oh yeah, there's one right here. (huh? wait a minute):idea:

Where's my sign?!

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
OK, talk to you then.

Inspired from a conversation I had with our Senior VP today.

His phone msg to me: Please call me ASAP!
Me calling back: Hello? What's up?
Him: Are you near a phone right now?
Me: (confused, looks around the office to spot a phone on my desk) Oh yeah, there's one right here. (huh? wait a minute):idea:

Where's my sign?!

...it must be tomorrow...and that's why they get the big bucks...

I think them neck-ties is too tight...tends to cut off the circulation to the brain...

jimHJJ(...or was it tight belts...oh well...)

AmpItUP
02-26-2007, 11:14 PM
How long did you collate all the information on THAT?

Resident Loser
02-27-2007, 05:31 AM
How long did you collate all the information on THAT?

... These threads go this way and that, so it's sorta' difficult to determine a proper response...To which THAT are you referring?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

GMichael
02-27-2007, 06:28 AM
... These threads go this way and that, so it's sorta' difficult to determine a proper response...To which THAT are you referring?

jimHJJ(...jus' wunnerin'...)

I bet that THAT is the OP.

Resident Loser
02-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I bet that THAT is the OP.

...I sorta' guessed that was the THAT, but I was curious as to which part of THAT was the THAT he/she was referring to as THAT...If it was the part that had anything to do with my nearly 40yrs. of experience, plus probably another ten or so if the crystal radio experience is considered,,,well, THAT took nearly a lifetime to accumulate...If OTOH, it was the italicized references taken directly from the FCC website, THAT took about as long as a GOOGLE search, then there's culling the appropriate info germain to the subject, then cutting and pasting it all together in a reasonably cohesive and coherent presentation...and then there's spellchek and last minute editing here and there, and then there was the boldface addition...so how long did THAT take? Well, if that's the THAT that theems to be the ka-westion...I dunno'...four or five minutes maybe...

However, if THAT isn't the THAT in question, I have no idea whatsoever what THAT that it might be, and things like that can waste time and cause further questions to be required...and there's no excuse for that...

jimHJJ(...get that? got that? Good!...)

GMichael
02-27-2007, 08:14 AM
...I sorta' guessed that was the THAT, but I was curious as to which part of THAT was the THAT he/she was referring to as THAT...If it was the part that had anything to do with my nearly 40yrs. of experience, plus probably another ten or so if the crystal radio experience is considered,,,well, THAT took nearly a lifetime to accumulate...If OTOH, it was the italicized references taken directly from the FCC website, THAT took about as long as a GOOGLE search, then there's culling the appropriate info germain to the subject, then cutting and pasting it all together in a reasonably cohesive and coherent presentation...and then there's spellchek and last minute editing here and there, and then there was the boldface addition...so how long did THAT take? Well, if that's the THAT that theems to be the ka-westion...I dunno'...four or five minutes maybe...

However, if THAT isn't the THAT in question, I have no idea whatsoever what THAT that it might be, and things like that can waste time and cause further questions to be required...and there's no excuse for that...

jimHJJ(...get that? got that? Good!...)

So, you're saying that I may be right about THAT but maybe THAT could be this or that?

Resident Loser
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
So, you're saying that I may be right about THAT but maybe THAT could be this or that?

...nutshell, precisely that...although given the fact that THAT can be nearly any part of speech that comes to mind, namely pronoun, adjective, conjunction and adverb, and that one of it's functions as a pronoun is based in it's use as a neuter demonstrative, can that be all that precise? Curious that...

I mean in our cyberworld, can the use of THAT be all that accurate given the fact that there is little or no way in which to identify THAT from THAT without being in the same physical space as what ever THAT may be...so in hindsight perhaps my use of the phrase precisely that is at the same time an oxymoron, that it make no sense without a fixed reference to the actual THAT and that furthermore, that that sense of it's vagueness can only serve to exacerbate that which using the word THAT aids to confound at the outset...if that's at all clear...

jimHJJ(...although we may have run that into the ground...all's well that ends well...)

GMichael
02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
...nutshell, precisely that...although given the fact that THAT can be nearly any part of speech that comes to mind, namely pronoun, adjective, conjunction and adverb, and that one of it's functions as a pronoun is based in it's use as a neuter demonstrative, can that be all that precise? Curious that...

I mean in our cyberworld, can the use of THAT be all that accurate given the fact that there is little or no way in which to identify THAT from THAT without being in the same physical space as what ever THAT may be...so in hindsight perhaps my use of the phrase precisely that is at the same time an oxymoron, that it make no sense without a fixed reference to the actual THAT and that furthermore, that that sense of it's vagueness can only serve to exacerbate that which using the word THAT aids to confound at the outset...if that's at all clear...

jimHJJ(...although we may have run that into the ground...all's well that ends well...)

I agree with most of this. But that could be precisely that in our cyberworld if that were quoted or otherwise referenced.

Is this enough of that yet? I'm getting dizzy.

Resident Loser
02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree with most of this. But that could be precisely that in our cyberworld if that were quoted or otherwise referenced.

Is this enough of that yet? I'm getting dizzy.

,,,I thought I had made that point...

jimHJJ(...that's a wrap...)

markw
02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
This thread is driving me to drink....

GMichael
02-27-2007, 10:28 AM
This thread is driving me to drink....

Short ride huh?