Yamaha RX-v659 and which speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-v659 and which speakers?

mar_2_5
02-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi,

In current theatre speaker system flood, I just can't decide which one to buy..

I'm getting my system update, and since my old Yamaha served me great for almost 20 years, I decided to buy a new rxv659 receiver. But I also have to get new surround speakers with it. I already have 2 old but perfect Pioneer main boxes, now I need more. Any suggestions for the budget between 500 and 1000 EUR?

Marty

rick390
02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I was wondering if you could tell me how you like the Yamaha rxv659. My Pioneer vsx-912k just started going haywire. The volume would suddenly shoot up to ear splitting levels all by itself and other times it would drop to a whisper.

I've read great things about the Yamaha rxv-657 and 659. Would like to hear your opinion.

blackraven
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
NHT's, B&W's, too many to choose from in that price range.

Rock789
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
whats the conversion to US$?
I would highly suggest focal jmlabs for several price ranges...
probably have several in your price range...

atom10
02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Go for Pioneer speaker units.

KaiWinters
02-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I have the 659 and use the Paradigm speakers, Monitor 3 v.4, CC290 v.5, Atoms v.4/surround and PDR-12/sub.
I liked the sound of the Paradigm speakers compared to the other brands I listened to but did not have that many brands to audition. My local shop carries Paradigm and Jamo, BB carrries Klipsch, etc. and Tweeter, where I bought the 659 carries varied other models. The Tweeter was several hundred miles away...state I used to live in and I did not want to take the chance on buying much gear from far away.

Unfortunately while you will/may get many suggestions for speaker brands you will/may find that your area carries few of them you can listen to unless you want to drive many, many miles.
Additionally the venue where you audition speakers is very different from your home listening area...BB is wide open, loud and the speakers are poorly placed and seldom connected to what you want to audition. Dedicated shops have listening rooms with the speakers well placed and the room acoustically treated in some fashion. Again you generally will not get to audition both the hard ware and speakers at the same time. I am not blaming anyone...oft times it is nearly impossible to move gear around over and over again especially at the "lower/mid" range of expense. If the electronics are run through amps, etc. the sound is going to be very different than if it were directly from the receiver to the speaker.

I suggest you check out your local shops and listen to the speakers they offer with your favorite material, music and movies. Ask for their return policy in order to take speakers home to audition in your envirenment with your gear. If they allow returns audition speakers until you find speakers that satisfy your desires. If not do not shop there unless perhaps they offer a loaner speaker of what you want to buy.

You may find that your old but perfect Pioneer boxes do not sound as good any more and may have to reconsider your speaker purchasing plan.
Good luck and keep us informed.

audio_dude
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
guys, the euro is about $1.30 US, so he's got a budget of about $700-$1300 USD

i'm more of a budget speaker guy right now, but i think there are some great threads right now about speakers RIGHT in your budget... you may want to post something in the home theatre forum too...

Rock789
02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
guys, the euro is about $1.30 US, so he's got a budget of about $700-$1300 USD
in this case, check out the Focal JMlab, Chorus S, Chorus V700 and Chorus V800 lines...
you can probably find some old Cobalt series which have come down in price too...