Week 30: 50 Albums That Changed Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 30: 50 Albums That Changed Music

Swish
02-05-2007, 06:22 AM
This is "sure thing" from a genre that has been over-looked thus far. The Wailers - Catch a Fire (1973)

Alongside The Harder They Come (movie and soundtrack), Catch a Fire changed the perception of reggae from eccentric, lightweight pop to a music of mystery and power. Dressed in a snappy Zippo lighter sleeve, and launched with rock razzmatazz, it delivered a polished, guitar-sweetened version of what Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer had made when white audiences weren't listening. By turns militant, mystic and sexy, it helped make Bob Marley the first Third World superstar. Without this...no Aswad or Steel Pulse, no native American or Maori or African reggae bands.

Hmmm. How about "Without this...no Ziggy Marley". :ihih: Actually, I think Natty Dread from the following year was much better, although I have no idea which was more important or influential, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Swish

3-LockBox
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I can't really comment either, not even the 'without this' statement, but IMO, saying there'd be no reggae in other forms w/o Marley is like crediting Bob Dylan for Rock-n-Roll. Bob Marley was great at what he did, but he didn't invent anything. Did he make a genre more popular? Sure, but then so did Elvis Presley, and he didn't invent anyhting either.

Was he important? Sure was/still is...I was in St Thomas some 17 years ago and his image and music was everywhere. I know someone who went there 4 or 5 years ago, who said the same thing. His posters grace every college music store and headshop I've ever been in. His T-shirts still sell at most RnR concert venues.

How far off this rag is this week I couldn't tell, but I'm sure it is (the 'lightweight pop' statement for instance). It's a safe bet that Marley is going to be on anyone's pop music poll, even the Guardian.

nobody
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Sure...there was reggae before Bob Marley...just hardly anyone outside Jamaica listened to it. Then again, I do think Elvis deserves huge credit for popularizing rock, so my perspective may be skewed to some opinions. But, to me, pushing music forward is about more than playing a song in your basement. You gotta get it out there for people to hear and enjoy.

I do get frustrated with so many people thinking reggae begins and ends with Bob Marley, considering the huge amount of good music that's come from such a tiny little island. But, he was and will be the king for a long, long time. He is the face of reggae music and served as it's concience to the world from his emergence until his death. While I may not listen to him as much as other reggae artists these days, it's only because I've heard the songs hundreds of times...not because they are anything other than great songs.

You could argue without getting anywhere about which album was his best of most influential. but, this one was the first to get widespread distribution. So, it's as good a pick as any other.

bobsticks
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Sure...there was reggae before Bob Marley...just hardly anyone outside Jamaica listened to it. Then again, I do think Elvis deserves huge credit for popularizing rock, so my perspective may be skewed to some opinions. But, to me, pushing music forward is about more than playing a song in your basement. You gotta get it out there for people to hear and enjoy...

Yeah, Aswad and Steel Pulse would still exist, but it's a safe bet that Selwyn Brown and Steve Nesbitt wouldn't be driving Benzos.