Kef 104/2's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kef 104/2's

TorontoRob
02-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Hello any and all vintage Kef lovers.
There have been many discussions here relating to Kef 104/2's and I'm wondering if anyone has attempted a crossover upgrade. I'm begining to wonder if they are still functioning to original spec's after over 20 years.
Mine are new to me after many years of using and loving my 104 aB's. I'm not completely sure just how these are supposed to sound, but man they pump out considerable bass. I have replaced the crumbling woofer dustcaps on all 4 drivers, tightened up the driver anchor nuts and bolts, and this has tamed the bass considerably since I got them, however, in my small room (18 x 13) with the cabinets 12 feet apart on the long wall, the bass on any modern rock, pop, and some jazz is simply overwhelming. Many of my older CD,s, LP's from the 70's and 80's, most jazz, and all classical music is wonderfully full, detailed, and mostly well balanced. Using these as the front's in surround sound with DVD's is truely amazing, but ALL rock, pop CD's purchased in the last 2 years is painfull to listen to.
Does anyone have any light to shed on why this may be?

Pat D
02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I am still pretty familiar with the old Kef 104aB as I had a pair for quite a number of years. Very nice speaker.

The Kef 104/2 is something of a classic and from your description, I gather they work quite well. I gather many owners still love them. They have a much more even off axis dispersion than the older Kef 104 or 104aB and are capable of much more powerful response in the bass. I think some of your pop recordings sound bad because the speaker is so accurate. That's why it does so well on jazz and classical recordings.