Audio question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio question

BillyB
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Just hooked up a new Panasonic 60U 50" plasma.I'm using an HDMI cable from my HD cable box to the display.I was under the impression that HDMI carried both the audio and video signals.I didn't have any sound so I connected RCA cables from the audio out on the box to the audio in on the display and now I have volume.

I do have a couple of issues though.My cable box remote doesn't work for volume adjustment but does work for channel change which I thought was bizarre.I'll call cable on that one but I'm thinking maybe it's my connections.

I also hooked up the analogue audio out RCA connectors on the display to a 2 channel reciever with subwoofer just to improve the sound until I set up true Home Theatre.I have sound but it's not a variable out signal so the TV remote doesn't adjust the volume on the reciever.The display manual doesn't seem to clarify if the analogue audio out jacks are variable.Tried turning off the display speakers to see if that addressed the problem but it doesn't.It seems you can only have internal speakers on or amp source being used,not both at the same time.Kind of bummed because I was going to use the surround front speakers to compliment the display speakers which are marginal at best.

The display does have an optical digital output which I imagine would be variable and intended for a true A/V reciever.This will certainly be motivation for getting the home theatre going.I was going to do it in stages but am not happy with the way this set-up is working.I put the 2 channel reciever inside a cabinet where the remote can't get to it so no variable output is a problem.I was just going to leave it on all the time at a moderate volume setting.

Anyway if anybody sees anything obvious I'm not thinking of let me know.Just normal growing pains with the new toy but never the less it is annoying.Thank goodness the picture is super with HD and very acceptable with SD.Looking forward to DVD playback once the audio issue is resolved.May just have to live with integrated speaker sound for now.

BillyB
02-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Solved the cable box issue as it was a setting bypassing the volume control.The analogue audio out on the Panasonic is obviously fixed level so that dilemma is obvious.I just eliminated the seldom used VCR and put the reciever in the same spot.Now the remote will work it.It's too old for the universal remote to work on it but 1 extra remote isn't tragic.Also confirmed that the HDMI is carrying the audio and video signal as the connection was fine.

recoveryone
02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear you solved your problem, but as you stated in your post you really need to upgrade your supporting components. IMHO, the sound (DD/DTS and DPLI/II) is what really makes up 60-75% of the HT experience.

BillyB
02-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Glad to hear you solved your problem, but as you stated in your post you really need to upgrade your supporting components. IMHO, the sound (DD/DTS and DPLI/II) is what really makes up 60-75% of the HT experience.

Couldn't agree more.Just have to break the better half in one major purchase at a time.It will actually be fun doing the research before eventually buying the A/V reciever and some good speakers.I'm real pleased with the picture on this display so far.I've heard plasmas actually have a break-in period but I'm unsure if that's true.Still need to calibrate this thing as it's obviously very sensitive regarding the PQ settings in the menu.

BillyB
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Couldn't agree more.Just have to break the better half in one major purchase at a time.It will actually be fun doing the research before eventually buying the A/V reciever and some good speakers.I'm real pleased with the picture on this display so far.I've heard plasmas actually have a break-in period but I'm unsure if that's true.Still need to calibrate this thing as it's obviously very sensitive regarding the PQ settings in the menu.

The PQ now that I've had a chance to toy with this thing is fantastic.The game was crystal clear in HD.Color,contrast,and sharpness all above average and of course viewing angle no issue whatsoever with the plasma.

Watched a DVD on a $35 Cyberhome hooked up with an S-video cord and the picture was superb.Looking forward to recieving an Oppo upconversion DVD player I ordered on-line soon.That will use the second HDMI connection which should be nice.

Anyway I am very fussy with this type of purchase so I would highly recommend this unit to anyone.At it's current price range it's a true value.