Anticables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anticables

blackraven
02-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I was browsing the net and ran across anticable speaker cables. Does anyone know anything about them. www.anticables.com The guy the sells them, Paul Speltz live in the same town as me.

Luvin Da Blues
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
That's a joke...right?

They look nothing better the #14AWG XLPE building wire with cheap Thomas & Betts fork Terminals.

You could put these together for about$3.00 a piece.

As far as the interconnects..looks like aircraft cable with the wire spiraled around it.

PeruvianSkies
02-01-2007, 09:03 PM
those look so flimsy that they would snap just during the installation of them.

Luvin Da Blues
02-01-2007, 09:06 PM
whats the hell with anti cables anyway

I like to have cables running to my speakers...sounds so much better that way;-)

blackraven
02-01-2007, 10:02 PM
They are 12g solid wire. The few reviews on the net are mixed.

Dusty Chalk
02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about them over on audiokarma. I've been meaning to try them myself.

daviethek
02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
I was browsing the net and ran across anticable speaker cables. Does anyone know anything about them. www.anticables.com The guy the sells them, Paul Speltz live in the same town as me.

I installed them about 6 months ago. They outperform my Audioquest Bedrock at about half the price, so I sold the Bedrock. If that is any help.

They look simple but sound very good to me. In my view, one of the secrets of good cabling seems to be in heat treatment for grain refinement. The mom and pop guys are figuring that out for themselves and offering cables that comptete with the exotics. Certainly not an insulting price at about a hunj per pair. Might be worth an audition.

Mike Anderson
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I use them on my 3.6R's, and they sound great.

But it's just magwire. You can get it much cheaper than he sells it for, as long as you don't care about having connectors on the end. (You just have to scrape off the lacquer with a utility knife.)

blackraven
02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Anything has got to sound better than the Monster Z4 that I picked up on the net.

JohnMichael
02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I will have to check my issues of the Absolute Sound because that is where I first learned of them. One of the reviewers was pleased with his cables. One of the new theories is that the least amount of insulation the better. That may be why I like the AlphaCore MI 1 cable so much. Mapleshade cables also have thin coatings over their cables. All are single conductors for the positive and the negative.

nightflier
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Just considering the physics of these cables, I've always been partial to the idea that the cables need to be thick (to transfer the necessary information) and well built. There is nothing more infuriating that a cable that tears, breaks, or looses a plug. I've stopped using plugs of any sort (using bare wire instead), but the cables themselves do need to have some heft, if you ask me.

The Mapleshade cables are the only thin cables I have ever auditioned that sounded good to my ears. I don't understand how they did it, but they are the exception. No other thin cable has ever bettered a thicker cable in my system. Never tried anticables, so I can't comment on them, but if they arein your town, you should be able to get them to audition a set in your home.

emorphien
03-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Anything has got to sound better than the Monster Z4 that I picked up on the net.
What makes you think your Monster cables sound bad? I advise caution before spending money on cables because 99.5% of the time it's the last thing that matters.

blackraven
03-31-2007, 12:55 PM
The Z4's have exaggerated bass just like the M1000i interconnects. The high frequency also seems to be not as crisp and seems to roll off. They use the time correct windings which has a undeniable effect on the sound IMHO. I've since changed my IC's to Audioquest Corals which sounds totally different to any one who has heard my system. I'm going to change my speaker cables to BlueJean cables simple 10guage belden wire or possibly try the anticables since the husband and wife who make them live in my town 5 minutes from me and I can buy them directly from them.

royphil345
03-31-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree 100%. I'm actually a fan of the cheapest Monster Cable Interconnects which are just plain, heavy gauge wire with a good insulating material. At $10.00 or so for a 1 meter pair, these are hard to beat for the same $.

But... All of their pricier cables with the "time correct" windings and multi-gauge wire networks and such sound absolutely horrible to me. They do have an undeniable and extremely undesirable effect on the sound IMO. Maybe they could make a very cheap system sound more "open" by somehow exaggerating the frequency extremes or changing timing. On a decent system, everything's smeared. My 12 gauge speaker cables don't have the Monster Cable style windings and I swear they even sound better than others that do. The difference seems more subtle with the speaker wires than with the interconnects though...

The Anti-Cable speaker cables look like something I'd try. The interconnects... I don't know...

emorphien
03-31-2007, 03:21 PM
The Z4's have exaggerated bass just like the M1000i interconnects. The high frequency also seems to be not as crisp and seems to roll off. They use the time correct windings which has a undeniable effect on the sound IMHO. I've since changed my IC's to Audioquest Corals which sounds totally different to any one who has heard my system. I'm going to change my speaker cables to BlueJean cables simple 10guage belden wire or possibly try the anticables since the husband and wife who make them live in my town 5 minutes from me and I can buy them directly from them.
Undeniable to your ears, or to an electrical engineer? I'm just advising caution before spending money on cables. I'm no fan of Monster either, just make sure you can return what you buy if you notice no difference because 99% of cables are going to sound essentially identical unless one is less shielded and there's a source of interference or there is a lot of contact resistance due to corrosion or damage.

jrhymeammo
03-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Usually,

New gears=New Wires

New enviornment=New Wires

People change their cables and hear difference in sound. I'm definetly one of them. But one thing most of us dont do is to compare sound with their newest cable with their first cable they played with.

I'm currently using a pair of 12AWG OFC approved by Toyota Motors. It's yellow and I like them.

JRA