Got new speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got new speakers

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I just got new Sony SS-MB150H speakers and they sound soo great I am impressed with the highs compaired to my old HLS410. They have more bass and more power and highs are soo clear and I can hear higher sounds now since they go up to 50khz. My other one rolled off before 20khz so i couldnt hear the highs well. I am glad I got these $49.95 pair speakers. :) I got them at Best Buy

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
They sold the speakers for $56 but I had printed a sheet from Sonystyle.com and showed them the lower price and they priced matched.

emorphien
02-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I highly doubt you're hearing much more at the high end. Particularly from a $56 pair of speakers, and more interestingly, from a pair I've heard. I'm glad you like them, but I can guarantee they aren't going as high as they claim they do.

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Well it uses the same tweeters as the ones that costed $280 from Sony. So the highs are the exact same. The woofer meteral is the same too as the bigger ones but just the bigger ones has a larger driver.

SS-MF750H

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3Cwbr%3EINTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=SSMF750H&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=hav_HiFiComponents_Speakers

emorphien
02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Well it uses the same tweeters as the ones that costed $280 from Sony.
I hope you realize that doesn't really mean anything.

So the highs are the exact same.
Probably, but that means they're awful. Unrefined, sibilant, muddy and unintelligible.

topspeed
02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Unless you're part dog...something I'm not prepared to completely rule out...you can't hear above 20khz. But that doesn't really matter anyway, does it?

Enjoy your speakers.

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Now my question is that is it better to have the grills off or on for better sound. I would think off is better but what do you guys think?

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I hope you realize that doesn't really mean anything.

Probably, but that means they're awful. Unrefined, sibilant, muddy and unintelligible.Well if you say they are not clear then why are they more clear than my JBL HLS410?

emorphien
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Well if you say they are not clear then why are they more clear than my JBL HLS410?
Either your JBLs are worse, or you're fooling yourself. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you think they sound clearer because you were convinced that would be the case before you bought them.

Now my question is that is it better to have the grills off or on for better sound. I would think off is better but what do you guys think?
Off, generally speaking. My new speakers didn't even come with grills.

Regardless, if you wanted cheap speakers the Insignias that Best Buy carries are better than the Sonys you bought.

topspeed
02-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Let's try this for sh!ts and giggles:

1) Plug your speakers into your receiver. Oh wait...you don't have one. Soooooo, go into the living room and steal your receiver back from your Mom and then plug it in.

Your speaker. Not your Mom.

2) Turn the receiver on...

No...wait...No...STOP DANCING! That's not what I meant, dammit! Just push the little button that says "Power"!

3) Put on some tunes. No, not cartoons. Music, radio, CD, or if you can, try XM's Disney Channel. That should be right up your alley...not that there's anything wrong with that.

4) Listen to an entire song with the grills on.

5) Walk over to the speaker and take the grills off. If you used a cd, hit the back button (again, not that there's anything wrong with that) and listen to the same song again.

6) Decide which sounds better to you.

Viola!

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I guess the biggest difference in the HLS410 and the Sonys is that the Sonys has alot more bass and lower end. The highs on the Sonys are better but just softer or warm type. I should say that JBL is usualy harsh on the highs. But I think the Sonys have more power putting out the high sounds that are around 20khz. The JBL was putting alot more power on the 16khz or so and rolls off around 20khz but my Sonys don't do that I can hear that the highs are powerful and clear aound 20khz since the highs can go upto 50khz. The bass is around 45hz it can go so it's alot lower than my HLS410 that can go 60hz when I used the test tone program. Sony says it only goes 80hz but I have a tone tester and it has gone down to 45hz loud and clear I was sooo amazed.

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Let's try this for sh!ts and giggles:

1) Plug your speakers into your receiver. Oh wait...you don't have one. Soooooo, go into the living room and steal your receiver back from your Mom and then plug it in.

Your speaker. Not your Mom.

2) Turn the receiver on...

No...wait...No...STOP DANCING! That's not what I meant, dammit! Just push the little button that says "Power"!

3) Put on some tunes. No, not cartoons. Music, radio, CD, or if you can, try XM's Disney Channel. That should be right up your alley...not that there's anything wrong with that.

4) Listen to an entire song with the grills on.

5) Walk over to the speaker and take the grills off. If you used a cd, hit the back button (again, not that there's anything wrong with that) and listen to the same song again.

6) Decide which sounds better to you.

Voila!Well the receiver problem is already solved since my moms friend got her a new receiver so I have my Pioneer ones back. :)

Carl Reid
02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! Those Sony's sound AWESOME!!!!!! Do they really hit 50khz???

I'm also looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers (see my thread in this section), so maybe I should put the Sonys at the top of my list!!!!!!

:dita: :dita: :dita:

royphil345
02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I know someone who bought the SS-MF750H towers to play with in his basement. Didn't pay any $280.00...

They are built very cheaply in every way. Thin enclosures, plastic woofer frames, small magnets, only crossover is a capacitor to the mid and tweeter...

But... They sound surprisingly good. They are sort of a miracle of engineering, in that the frequency response is pretty flat with no adjustments made by a crossover network. The drivers are manufactured to work together fairly seamlessly with no additional parts required and it worked out better than you'd expect. The sound reminds me of some mid-priced speakers from the old days that were probably designed in a similar fashion.

They're not very efficient due to the small magnets on the drivers and you can't really run alot of power through them to compensate. My friend blew a midrange, hence the opportunity to look inside... Bass extension definitely seems limited compared to any other speaker I've heard with dual 8" woofers. There's a little bloat in the mid-bass. Much preferable to a thin / harsh sounding cheap speaker in my book though. The highs certainly don't have that "breath of life", but aren't harsh or grating either. "Laid back" is something you don't often find in a $100.00 tower speaker. I've always found the newer JBLs to be a bit harsh and probably would probably prefer the sound of the Sonys, even though the build quality does not compare. The price is right... Consumer Reports actually rated this line highly over some more expensive speakers. High-end they ain't... But, they don't sound shrill or harsh like many cheap speakers... Not bad at all for jamming loud rock in the basement...

I haven't heard the bookshelves. I'd imagine they're a little bass shy for a larger bookshelf with an 8" woofer... It would probably be a toss up between them and the smaller Insignias though. Similar sound... not precise... not offensive...

Woah... The 150s??? I thought he was talking about the bigger bookshelves!!! I don't even think Sony intended those to be used as mains!!! Probably just offered them as cheap surrounds for the cheap speakers in that line... Sorry... The Insignias probably would smoke them.

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
I do think that if you want shaking bass then you should go with the floorstanding ones like the SS-MF550 since they have bigger drivers and more power. For my med sized bedroom the SS-MB150H is enough. Sony says that it goes 45hz on the SS-MF550H so that means that it will go ALOT lower than that so I think that would be a perfect speakers for living rooms. But if you really really want lowest bass ever then the SS-MF750H will do it since it goes 35hz according to the site so that means it will probley go down around 25hz or less.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/svi.jpg

emorphien
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I do think that if you want shaking bass then you should go with the floorstanding ones like the SS-MF550 since they have bigger drivers and more power. For my med sized bedroom the SS-MB150H is enough. Sony says that it goes 45hz on the SS-MF550H so that means that it will go ALOT lower than that so I think that would be a perfect speakers for living rooms. But if you really really want lowest bass ever then the SS-MF750H will do it since it goes 35hz according to the site so that means it will probley go down around 25hz or less.
Somehow I doubt the Sonys you bought are hitting 45Hz, maybe 90. Do you know how low 45Hz actually sounds (why am i asking?)

When will you get it through your thick skull and phallus filled ears that the specs Sony publishes are mostly worthless?

SpankingVanillaice
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Somehow I doubt the Sonys you bought are hitting 45Hz, maybe 90. Do you know how low 45Hz actually sounds (why am i asking?)

When will you get it through your thick skull and phallus filled ears that the specs Sony publishes are mostly worthless?I KNOW how 45hz sounds like forsure OK. I can hear the my Sonys goes that low. Ya it's not going to be very powerful like the bigger driver ones but it does go that low. I have a sub that goes lower so I know how 45hz sounds like.

Luvin Da Blues
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Man oh Man

I wanna live in Spanky's world so I can save money on speakers and electronics

Never have to worry 'bout upgrading

Luvin Da Blues
02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Just Fuc@$ng Kidding Spanky

Rock789
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! Those Sony's sound AWESOME!!!!!! Do they really hit 50khz???

I'm also looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers (see my thread in this section), so maybe I should put the Sonys at the top of my list!!!!!!

check out klh while your at it
much better than the mini utopias ;o)

Rock789
02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
plastic woofer frames,
SAY WHAT?!:confused:

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Actually those Sony's are rated around -6db at 45 hz, so indeed if they can go down to 90hz (if that) you are lucky. A 45hz tone would probably destroy those crappy woofers in about a second.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/svi2.jpg

Rock789
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
not being mean, but from what I have read in several threads, I have to think either:
1) SVI has mental issues (serious, not being mean)
or
2) SVI is having a huge laugh out of this forum (wouldn't be the 1st time)

it it's issue #1, please listen to us for help if you want help with audio... if you don't want to listen and you think your stuff is awsome, then cool, have fun with it...
if it's issue #2, rock on man, you have to be rollin with this forum...

if I am totally lost, oh well,
later
Mike

Rock789
02-01-2007, 07:07 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/svi2.jpg
:rofl:

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I just got new Sony SS-MB150H speakers and they sound soo great I am impressed with the highs compaired to my old HLS410. They have more bass and more power and highs are soo clear and I can hear higher sounds now since they go up to 50khz. My other one rolled off before 20khz so i couldnt hear the highs well. I am glad I got these $49.95 pair speakers. :) I got them at Best Buy

They sound very good as rear effects speakers and just for kicks I have had them turned off for a while and there really is a lot missing with only the 8 inchers in the rear on the floor. They add a lot to the soundstage. (FYI, I have 8 rear speakers) Yes, I am the guy with the setup with all the watts and so many of the Sony SS 150, 250, 550 series as some of you might have seen my thread about that. Anyhow, they do sound tremendous for the price. Who cares if they don't really hit 50khz because the only thing that matters is what we do hear and that is very crisp highs without the harshness of horn style tweeters. I'm saying THESE Sony speakers sound good. Preach the word brother Vanilla.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I guess the biggest difference in the HLS410 and the Sonys is that the Sonys has alot more bass and lower end. The highs on the Sonys are better but just softer or warm type. I should say that JBL is usualy harsh on the highs. But I think the Sonys have more power putting out the high sounds that are around 20khz. The JBL was putting alot more power on the 16khz or so and rolls off around 20khz but my Sonys don't do that I can hear that the highs are powerful and clear aound 20khz since the highs can go upto 50khz. The bass is around 45hz it can go so it's alot lower than my HLS410 that can go 60hz when I used the test tone program. Sony says it only goes 80hz but I have a tone tester and it has gone down to 45hz loud and clear I was sooo amazed.

Sure you might be able to hear something at lower than 80hz. It will probably not sound right and depending on how much power you are using you are risking damaging the speaker. I haven't even tried to put much pressure on them yet but I have plans to try to put 450 watts through them soon when I convert my home theater to all Behringer EP2500 amps. What is this tone tester program you are referring to? Are there programs we can download for our PCs to test that? I think that would be cool to fiddle with.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
I have 8 rear speakers. Preach the word brother Vanilla.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/wtf/wtf3213.jpg

emorphien
02-01-2007, 07:35 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/wtf/wtf3213.jpg
moar cheap speakers in rear means more better!

8 $60 speakers is just like one pair of $480 speakers.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
I can only get 2 speakers in my rear. Guess I'm not trying hard enough!

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 07:46 PM
moar cheap speakers in rear means more better!

8 $60 speakers is just like one pair of $480 speakers.

Actually my rears cost about $300 all together. They definitely sound a lot better than just a pair of $150 rears.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Actually my rears cost about $300 all together. They definitely sound a lot better than just a pair of $150 rears.

Yeah but do they go up to 50khz? If not, they're useless.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 07:50 PM

2 left surround, 2 left surround back, 2 right surround, 2 right surround back. One is on the floor and one is perched near the ceiling.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
2 left surround, 2 left surround back, 2 right surround, 2 right surround back. One is on the floor and one is perched near the ceiling.

Hmmm. Sounds ghetto-worthy!

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Hmmm. Sounds ghetto-worthy!

The pair of Gemini 15" Bandpass DJ subs sure add to that aura.

L.J.
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
....sits down and looks around for a bit. Says what hell and starts to smoke what everyone else is smoking :crazy:

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
The pair of Gemini 15" Bandpass DJ subs sure add to that aura.

I like your center channel best. Using a computer power supply to drive a $39 4000 watt car amp is a nice touch!

http://static.flickr.com/9/69341439_57d33bfadd_m.jpg

emorphien
02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
:lol:

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
....sits down and looks around for a bit. Says what hell and starts to smoke what everyone else is smoking :crazy:

Okay these Sony speakers sound not only good with Behringer EP2500 amps giving 450 watts of pure class H goodness but they also sound good with my Yamaha RXV-795a receiver in my bedroom. Not to mention that HD-DVD sounds awesome!!!!!

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I like your center channel best. Using a computer power supply to drive a $39 4000 watt car amp is a nice touch!

I have a Behringer EP2500 amp pushing my two center channel speakers with 450 watts each in parallel mono mode. Ah the wonder of having 900 watts of midrange goodness.

emorphien
02-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Not to mention that HD-DVD sounds awesome!!!!!
Somehow I know I'd be missing out on something.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a Behringer EP2500 amp pushing my two center channel speakers with 450 watts each in parallel mono mode. Ah the wonder of having 900 watts of midrange goodness.

A Lightning Audio amp with that looks like some Roadmaster speakers from walmart. Surprisingly that can sound good. It sure looks like Roadmaster red but it could be Sony Xplod crappolla. Anyhow, funny pic.

N. Abstentia
02-01-2007, 08:19 PM
I think SVI has a friend for life!! These two are a match made in heaven! I think I saw these guys on American Idol the other night..

emorphien
02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I think SVI has a friend for life!! These two are a match made in heaven! I think I saw these guys on American Idol the other night..
Seriously, both hopeless.

SlumpBuster
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
WAL-MART!?!? Really!?!? That's it... g-g-get out of my room... NOW!

A little piece of the entire internet died today as a result of this thread.

Rock789
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM

ROFL!
thats my buddie rob's surround speakers!
(actually I think he is using my old alpine 2way 6x9's out of my sunbird)

topspeed
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
M..M...Mmm...Muuuuuuussstt.....reeesisssst...urrge ...

mmmm...mmuuuusssssttttt...reesssisssstttt!!!

emorphien
02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
try jumping from the top of a 2nd floor balcony in the cannon-ball position.

Dusty Chalk
02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
WTH is "Class H"?

drseid
02-02-2007, 02:20 AM
You guys should have just recommended he upgrade to Bose... You just *know* that is what he is going to wind up with someday anyway based on his requirements for "good" sound. At least with Bose we don't have to educate SVI on phony specs. :ihih:

---Dave

GMichael
02-02-2007, 06:27 AM
(Mike walks into the room. Sees LJ smoking an old pair of socks. NAB's head is blown off. Maybe it's from the two speakers he has jammed up his butt? Speedy is talking about something being right up Spanky's alley. There's a kinky poster on the wall of Dino in cuffs)
(Does NOT turn arround, but slowly backs out of the room while making a cross with two fingers):eek6:

emorphien
02-02-2007, 06:44 AM
WTH is "Class H"?
horrendous

Bose for SVI? He'd never go for that, no published specs.

Rock789
02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
WTH is "Class H"?

Class H and Class G amplifiers are marked by variation of the supply rails (in discrete steps or in a continuous fashion, respectively) following the input signal. Wasted heat on the output devices can be reduced as excess voltage is kept to a minimum. The amplifier that is fed with these rails itself can be of any class. These kinds of amplifiers are more complex, and are mainly used for specialized applications, such as very high-power units. Also, Class E and Class F amplifiers are commonly described in literature for radio frequencies applications where efficiency of the traditional classes deviate substantially from their ideal values. These classes use harmonic tuning of their output networks to achieve higher efficiency and can be considered a subset of Class C due to their conduction angle characteristics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifiers

basite
02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Oh My God!!

Spanky,
Maybe you haven't read the huge topic that we made for you, there was some really useful stuff in it...

but,
obviously you didn't read it, and your immense stupidity just told you to go on...
so you did the what we said you not to do. A downgrade.

oh, and your speakers don't reach anywhere near 45 hz, maybe they reach 100hz, really soft. and they don't go higher neither, in fact, they'll probably don't even reach 15khz, not stable at least...

and then, you say you have more bass eh?
now that's just a thought, you have the same, or less bass as the jbl's, you just have less treble.

admit it, you're stupid.
and you won't even listen to what we have to say.

congrats
you just gave me a headache.

Where's flo, i'm sure he'll laugh his ass of...

keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
and spanky,
the next time you do something like that.

I'll find you, and will personally shoot you!

Florian
02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Man, my 5ft long tweeter ribbon doesnt do 50KHz :( I need some of Spankys tweeters

N. Abstentia
02-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Man, my 5ft long tweeter ribbon doesnt do 50KHz :( I need some of Spankys tweeters

You should replace your 'towers of crap' with some $39 Sony's from Best Buy. They sound sooo somooth and soooo claer plus they sound like speakers costied $130 because the poly lamianinate tweeter are the same plus the box is cardbaord and the woffer cones are yellow so they go low and sound crips.

Rock789
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM

can beryllium (focal jm lab) or diamond (b&w) go to 50kHz smoothly?
... gotta research now...lol

emorphien
02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
can beryllium (focal jm lab) or diamond (b&w) go to 50kHz smoothly?
... gotta research now...lolI dunno about that, but the extension of the Berylliums is supposed to be extremely high.

Rock789
02-02-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.utopia-be.com/Technology/Pictures/Beryllium_2_big.jpg
apparently yes for the focal to 40kHz
http://www.utopia-be.com/Technology/Beryllium.htm

and yes for the b&w

Studies show that diamond's first breakup frequency in this application is as high as 80.8 kilohertz—roughly three times that of aluminum.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/1005bw/

emorphien
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
From what I recall reading, Focal claims they lack the ability to truly measure the range of the Be tweeters, that their equipment cuts out at 40Khz, but that it should reach up near 100Khz.

Fat lot of good that does, I'm sure :lol:

Rock789
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
From what I recall reading, Focal claims they lack the ability to truly measure the range of the Be tweeters, that their equipment cuts out at 40Khz, but that it should reach up near 100Khz.

Fat lot of good that does, I'm sure :lol:

woot!
I want to play up to 100kHz and mess with all the dogs and cats in the area
rofl!

GMichael
02-02-2007, 09:27 AM
woot!
I want to play up to 100kHz and mess with all the dogs and cats in the area
rofl!

Play them loud after dark. You may get a few bats to fly into your house.

basite
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't think that 100khz is hearable, not even for cats and dogs...

but give it a try I guess,
B&W's CM7's tweeter goes up to 50 khz -6 db,
and you pay $1600 for that!

and once again the most utterly stupid spanky only looked at the specs....

Florian
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I measured my system when fully active and they drop at 34KHz....but then again Apogee quoted 35KHz so they where right on the money. They do this for real tough, in a real room :cornut: But i cant hear **** above 19600Hz anyways...LOL

but man i wish i had those Sonys

GMichael
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM
I measured my system when fully active and they drop at 34KHz....but then again Apogee quoted 35KHz so they where right of the money. They do this for real tough, in a real room :cornut: But i cant hear **** above 19600Hz anyways...LOL

Maybe you can work out a trade. Throw in a new cat and pay for all the shipping and he may go for it.

Florian
02-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Maybe you can work out a trade. Throw in a new cat and pay for all the shipping and he may go for it.

Wanna bet that if i show him my Grands and a JBL bookshelve he would pick the JBL?

GMichael
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Wanna bet that if i show him my Grands and a JBL bookshelve he would pick the JBL?

What kind of odds can you give me?

basite
02-02-2007, 10:11 AM

he'll ask us first which one is the best,
and after we all said that the grands were the uber system, he'll eventually buy the jbl's...

btw,
tomorrow, my cousin an me are going to pick up his new speakers, he had a cheapish jvc mini 'system' and recently, his dad gave him his old technics (sa-400) receiver, then, he started to interest himself in audio stuff, and decided to buy new speakers,

so I gave him some options and we went to audition the speakers,
he eventually chose Monitor Audio BR2's (he was on somekind of a budget)

they sounded really good for the money, and it will be a huge improvement over his previous jvc crap...

So, spanky,
now you know what to do.

Greetings,
Bert.

Florian
02-02-2007, 10:11 AM
What kind of odds can you give me?

Wanna find out? we should ask him....do you or should i?

-Flo

basite
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
how about sending him something vintage? like a vintage JBL speaker? or something else which outperforms all his speakers?
it would be cheap, and he'll shut up about buying new speakers...

Greetings,
Bert.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I measured my system when fully active and they drop at 34KHz....but then again Apogee quoted 35KHz so they where right of the money. They do this for real tough, in a real room :cornut: But i cant hear **** above 19600Hz anyways...LOL

All speakers set to large via Pioneer VSX 1016-TSV speaker setup

Main: 4 SS-MB-350H 3 way 8" "bookshelf" speakers driven by two Behringer EP2500 amps with low frequency cutoff set at 50hz. (2 on each side)

Center: 2 CN-550H driven by one Behringer Ep2500 amp in parallel mono mode with low frequency cutoff set at 50hz(placed next to each other to simulate the appearance of one large speaker)

Side Rears: 2 SS-MF550H 8" 3 way floorstanders and 2 SS-MB150H bookshelf speakers. They are on each side of the room with the 550s on the floor and the 150s on a shelf near the ceiling. Powered by 2 Behringer EP2500 amps with cutoff set at 50hz..

Center Surround/Surround Back: 2 SS-MF550H and 2 SS-MB150H with the 550s on the floor and 150s mounted near the ceiling directly above. Powered by two Behringer EP2500 amps with cutoff set at 50hz.

Subwoofers: Two Pyle PSAW-18 18" subs powered by a singlw Behringer EP2500 in parallel mono mode. That should fill in the lower echelon where the Sonys fail.

Now, I don't have all that stuff yet but that is my mission. I just know the experts would say that is probably insanity but I just love a challenge and I really don't mind taking the risk.

Anyhow, I'm home sick from work and this thread has really helped me forget for awhile just how much this past week has sucked as I type this with bloodshot red eyes. So keep em coming. I and brother Vanilla will defend these to the last.

GMichael
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
He won't even read the request unless both of the following are tue:

He asked us about them first.
The answer we gave him is the answer he was expecting or wanted.

But hey, who else could spur so many replies in less than a day?

basite
02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Now, I don't have all that stuff yet but that is my mission. I just know the experts would say that is probably insanity but I just love a challenge and I really don't mind taking the risk.

Anyhow, I'm home sick from work and this thread has really helped me forget for awhile just how much this past week has sucked as I type this with bloodshot red eyes. So keep em coming. I and brother Vanilla will defend these to the last.

how about starting all over again on the speakers part...

seriously, try something like cerwin vega or so...
they should be more "capable" of handling that kind of power...

and you'll no longer *need* the subs,
of course, for surround, you'll be better of with them, but really,
give them a chance.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Resident Loser
02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Unless you're part dog...something I'm not prepared to completely rule out....

...Man...nearly choked on my apple LOL...

jimHJJ(...did GM put you up to that for me makin' him nearly pass his cafe-mocha java thru his nose?...)

Rock789
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
and once again the most utterly stupid spanky only looked at the specs....

GMichael
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
...Man...nearly choked on my apple LOL...

jimHJJ(...did GM put you up to that for me makin' him nearly pass his cafe-mocha java thru his nose?...)

geepers, the jig is up.

basite
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
:confused5:

???

Robert-The-Rambler
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
how about starting all over again on the speakers part...

seriously, try something like cerwin vega or so...
they should be more "capable" of handling that kind of power...

and you'll no longer *need* the subs,
of course, for surround, you'll be better of with them, but really,
give them a chance.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

The amplifiers will last for many years. Actually I was looking into class H technology and some high end companies like Carver have used that style amp in their home theater amplifiers. I figure that 8 EP2500s at 450 watts a channel should keep me saaisfied for the next 10 years or more from an amplification standpoint. And it is never too loud. You can just turn the volume down and make adjustments if it is too loud. Anyhow, I really do enjoy these speakers. I recently hooked up my DCM KX 12 Series 2 speakers which are like Cerwin Vegas a bit and was not that happy with how harsh the highs from the horn style tweeter can get and once you've heard subs driven with a lot of power at the low end it is hard to hear any floorstander the same again. Anyhow, thanks for your advice.

Resident Loser
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
...this is downloaded fro SONYs website:

Add astounding sound to your television and music entertainment with Sony's SS-MB150H Book Shelf Speaker. Featuring a 5 1/4" Improved H.O.P. Cone - Bass Driver, 1" Nano-FineŽ Balanced Dome Tweeter, Sound Reproduction to 50 kHz (for High Resolution Audio), 120 Watts of Maximum Input Power, and a Frequency Range of 80Hz - 50kHz, this 2 Way, 2 Driver Book Shelf Speaker will enhance your home entertainment experience. Additional features included for your convenience are Push Type Speaker Connections, a Magnetic Shield, a Removable Grille Cloth, and a Speaker Cable. Listen to the difference the SS-MB150H makes.

2 Way, 2 Driver Book Shelf Speaker
5 1/4" Improved H.O.P. Cone - Bass Driver
1" Nano-FineŽ Balanced Dome Tweeter
Sound Reproduction to 50 kHz (for High Resolution Audio)
120W Maximum Input Power
Frequency Range 80Hz - 50kHz
8 ohm Impedance
Inputs
Push Type Speaker Connections
Convenience Features
Magnetically Shielded
Removable Grille Cloth
Includes Speaker Cable
General Features
Black Ash Type finish
2 Way, 2 Driver Book Shelf Speaker
5 1/4" Improved H.O.P. Cone : Bass Driver
1" Nano-FineŽ Balanced Dome Tweeter
Bass Reflex Enclosure
One Pair Per Package
Audio Features
Sound Reproduction to 50 kHz : (for High Resolution Audio)
120W Maximum Input Power
SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES
Instruction Manual
Speaker Wire
WEIGHT
Approx. 6.4 lbs. (2.9 kg)
DIMENSIONS
Approx. 6.6" x 9.8" x 7.2" (170 x 250 x 185 mm)

Same info at the BB site, although they said something about a Kevlar woofer:

Bass reflex enclosures for enhanced bass response Magnetically shielded for multimedia applications 5-1/4" woofer constructed of lightweight, ultrarigid KEVLARŽ for excellent transient response with minimal distortion (KEVLAR is a registered trademark of DuPont) Removable cloth grille Frequency Response: 80Hz - 50kHz Sensitivity: 87dB Impedance: 8 Ohms

jimHJJ(...later gator...)

basite
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
not all cerwin vegas are horn loaded though...

check their VE series for example...

I don't like too harsh sounds neither

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I havent actually read this thread, but what are we discussing?

basite
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
svi's new "addition", $50 sony speakers...

and some more random stuff...

general SVI thread...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Dusty Chalk
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
You guys keep telling him that his speakers don't go up as high as they claim they do -- I think that's the wrong response. The speakers might very well go up that high. They just sound like carp within that frequency range. There is no spec for "carplike". If there was, I think those tiny Sony's and JBL's would be up there.

Florian
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Whow he bought new speakers :-) Grats man

Resident Loser
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
You guys keep telling him that his speakers don't go up as high as they claim they do -- I think that's the wrong response. The speakers might very well go up that high. They just sound like carp within that frequency range. There is no spec for "carplike". If there was, I think those tiny Sony's and JBL's would be up there.

...while back there were all those ceramic and piezo tweets that could do that...of course they sound like an un-oiled band saw cutting through a squirming pig...

jimHJJ(...my apologies...make that rusty metal...)

Rock789
02-02-2007, 12:03 PM
:confused5:

???
I'm the one who looked up the specs ROFL

basite
02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
no no,
I ment that SVI bought his speakers by just looking at the specs...

GMichael
02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
...while back there were all those ceramic and piezo tweets that could do that...of course they sound like an un-oiled band saw cutting through a squirming pig...

jimHJJ(...my apologies...make that rusty metal...)

I built a pair of speakers with piezo tweeters back in the 70's. After about 20 minutes I pulled them apart to start over. Like nails on a chalk board.

Rock789
02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
no no,
haha
I now understand:idea:
I love ya anyways :ihih:

Rock789
02-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I built a pair of speakers with piezo tweeters back in the 70's. After about 20 minutes I pulled them apart to start over. Like nails on a chalk board.
what are piezo tweeters good for?
I had a pair of radioshack many years ago... and they really helped the highs, but had a horrible hissing sound often...

GMichael
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I had a pair of radioshack many years ago... and they really helped the highs, but had a horrible hissing sound often...

They are good at looking great on a spec sheet. They go very high but sound awful. That's why they cost 0.65 each.

superdougiefreshness
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Piezo and Sony, wow I can't wait to buy some. I love a forum format butttt honestly how aweful can life truly be to sit here and join in and not only reply once but multiple times in one thread. I can think of a different kind of multiple that would be allot more fun, and I don't mean vitamin's either. LOL

Have a better life and be sure and buy Sony.....NOT :sleep:

N. Abstentia
02-02-2007, 01:29 PM
no no,

Yeah but they are sooo crips and soo claer they sound just like studidio monitors that costed over $120 that they use in suditidos because they souund so lifelike and clear. The man at Best Buy said they are maid like spakears costed lots more because they have yello woffers.

basite
02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
rofl!

maybe I'll have to bring him myself, but once in his life,
SVI WILL VISIT A HIGH END SHOP!

topspeed
02-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Piezo tweeter technology has come a looooong way since then. Gallo uses a cylindrical (sp?) piezo tweeter on their Ref3 and there's another hi-end manufacturer out there using them as well, although the name escapes me at the moment.

GMichael
02-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Piezo tweeter technology has come a looooong way since then. Gallo uses a cylindrical (sp?) piezo tweeter on their Ref3 and there's another hi-end manufacturer out there using them as well, although the name escapes me at the moment.

Do you know if they use a resistor in parallel? I've heard that this can help tame them. I put 2 piezo's in series with each other, that were in parallel with a soft dome. I still had to pull them out and snip the wires.

audio_dude
02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
rofl!

maybe I'll have to bring him myself, but once in his life,
SVI WILL VISIT A HIGH END SHOP!

Dude, we tried this already, visit the "Lets help SVI" thread...

we'll all go over to his house and drag him kicking and screaming into a high end show and watch him start crying when he hears his first pair of hifi speakers... *sniff*

N. Abstentia
02-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm not going anywhere near his house. If all this other stuff wasn't enough, the fact that he still has his cat's litterbox by his bed scares the bejesus out of me. His cat died 2 years ago. I guess the litterbox is some kind of 'turd vigil' for the cat or something.

SpankingVanillaice
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Ahh actualy the litterbox is gone a LONG time agao. LOL

Florian
02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
If you had a choice for

A. Wilson Audio Alexandria
B. Sonys Top of the line bookshelf

what would you choose?

A= http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/rv/s/f/1089576017.jpg

B= http://www.datavis.com/images/ASS/027242621794L.gif

N. Abstentia
02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Ahh actualy the litterbox is gone a LONG time agao. LOL

Might want to quit posting pictures of your room WITH the litterbox in full view, then :sosp:

N. Abstentia
02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
If you had a choice for

what would you choose?

The Sony's have yellow woffer cones so they sound like speakers that costed close to $150 and the poly lanimate done tweeter is sooo smooth and percise that it sounds like studidio monitors and the man at Best buy said they don't sell those other speakers speakers so they aren't good like $79 JBL's are good.

Rock789
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/rv/s/f/1089576017.jpg
Florian,

What are thoes things with three poll sticking up:confused:

Florian
02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Florian,

What are thoes things with three poll sticking up:confused:

Room Lenses, break up the first reflection points and absorb resonances. Works great!

emorphien
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM

talk about failing the WAF test, it's ugly enough I'd think twice!

Florian
02-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Same discussion we always have. These systems are not build with a budget or WAF in mind. They are build to take a stab at the state of the art. Noone in this priceclass give a **** about value for the dollor or WAF.

Cheers

emorphien
02-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Same discussion we always have. These systems are not build with a budget or WAF in mind. They are build to take a stab at the state of the art. Noone in this priceclass give a **** about value for the dollor or WAF.

Cheers
no durh!?

If it came down to those speakers and another pair though that I thought performed similarly though, I'd chose the other pair. That's all :)

audio_dude
02-02-2007, 07:04 PM
damn, that lighting's gotta be hell on those reflection points! :P

audio_dude
02-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Dude, how the hell is dallas an "Audiophile" in any way shape or form? and what the hell, he's interested in..."trees"...

Date of Birth:
December 17, 1984
Your Listening Style:
Audiophile
Primary Interest:
2-Channel Audio
Equipment List:
SONY MZ-N420D portable MD player, JBL HLS410, Pioneer VSX-405, Kenwood GE-1100
Experience:
City, State:
Omaha, NE, USA
Not Working
Other Interests:
Boys, Computers, Games, Trees, Golf, Weather, Music and Dinosaurs.
Biography:
Hi my name is Dallas and I'am a very proud gay boy.

oo, and don't forget the 10/10 experience with audio! (said by the boy whose never been in a hifi store...)

Blue Meanie
02-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Viola!

Isn't that similar to a violin, only larger?:biggrin5:

Jeff

basite
02-03-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm not going anywhere near his house. If all this other stuff wasn't enough, the fact that he still has his cat's litterbox by his bed scares the bejesus out of me. His cat died 2 years ago. I guess the litterbox is some kind of 'turd vigil' for the cat or something.

does UPS send big packages?
maybe we can send him to a hi-fi shop :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

royphil345
02-03-2007, 05:45 AM
If you had a choice for

what would you choose?

The Sonys do have better specs. in the highs. Also, I've heard you can get the same effect those invasive room-tuning devices offer by simply filling a rectangular pan with kitty litter and experimenting a bit with placement in the room.

jt1stcav
02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Dude, how the hell is dallas an "Audiophile" in any way shape or form? and what the hell, he's interested in..."trees"...
Trees with holes in 'em?

Spanky's got a tin ear...no big deal. If he's happy with the Sony's, then so be it.

Rock789
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I'll put my optimus againts his sony
I have $0.23 saying my optimus are better

audio_dude
02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
@Rock789

What are my odds on this? i've got $1000 ready

Rock789
02-04-2007, 08:47 PM
rofl,
but seriously, I am impressed with my optimus xts-10,
for $30 some 10 years ago, when compared to my vr-1's, for the money, I wish I didn't get the vr-1's and should have hooked the optimus up first...
are the vr-1's better, heck ya, but for 20x the price, I should have saved the money and stuck with my optimus...
( got them out of storage after I purchased the vr-1's)

greystoke144
02-05-2007, 01:02 AM
1st of all I have to apologise to the caretakers of this great forum for not using it as much as I should. [I took the reminder of my tardiness seriously folks!]
I guess I'm taking the time now to respond or pose a reply[?] to anybody that posted
any info regarding Bose 501's[Series- I dunno] I've recently turned to them for my analog
vinyl playback as I consider them a "Rock n Roll" more 'forgiving' listening speaker than the Paragon towers I use for CD/digital/DVD etc. for the crispness they[Paragons] produce which in a environment of 600+ LP's with varying degrees of LP condition is less nerve wracking - vis-a-vis-pops,crackles they seem to exagerate - ergo my opinion on the 501's as more 'forgiving'.
Now, I'll have to explain that I do not consider myself as a expert/audiophile by any means, and frankly, economic considerations figure predominatly in this. I've always craved a set of 901's since the mid '70's when I 1st lheard and was aware of their phenominaly sound and power handling capabilities. I recently acquired the 501s at a low [to me] cost of 350$ Can. in boxes, 2nd hand, and no apparent faults. GREAT! - I figured-at least they were'nt 301s. I realized that in my very small community a set of used 901's was'nt gonna' happen. So I purchashed them and kept them on the 'back shelf' untill circumstances-[ the ill-considered purchase of a replacement Dig./Home Theater main amp with NO phono in?!] made me make one of my more serendipitous acquirements - A older Sansui 'Rack' consisting of the wheeled rack itself with the following components - A TU 317 Tuner, SC 2110 cassette deck and a AU 517 'integrated amp' [Phono IN!] all at what I consider a 'steal' at 200$. O.K. now we're cooking!, as I brought the 501's into play. Anybody still listening?.....
To the 'meat' - Since I've been getting accustomed to hearing the 501's [as configured
with the above factors], I've noticed that they sound rather 'fat'-not quite 'flabby' with yes,- a noticible mid range lack. Not a criticism - especially since 'placement' is probably a big factor in my case....My listening area is approximately the size of a large bathroom! My main '*****' is - why the non-removeable grill covers?!! I don't know if that is 'standard' for all 501's, but in my case, not having a man./schematic and not wanting to perform 'surgery' to orientate myself to the 'lay-out' of idivid. speaker components is probably gonna' add to listening/placement/experiment 'fiddling arround'. Any help or sympathy out there? - [I'm not begging - I'm pleading]! And oh yeah - the addition of stands with 'pointed feet' -[like nails for instance] really do help in sharpening up the bass in my opinion in these. All in all, I'd certainatly love some 901's and because, obviously I hav'nt given these 501's a proper stage, I'll give these a 6 on a 10 scale [1 added because of the above caveat]. Whew! - I think I've made up for lack of participation vis-a -vis:17: hints - EH?!
Your's, Greystoke from Kimberley B.C., Canada

GMichael
02-05-2007, 06:26 AM
If you had a choice for

what would you choose?

Can you give me the specs on each please? How can I tell without the specs?

GMichael
02-05-2007, 06:33 AM
1st of all I have to apologise to the caretakers of this great forum for not using it as much as I should. [I took the reminder of my tardiness seriously folks!]
I guess I'm taking the time now to respond or pose a reply[?] to anybody that posted
any info regarding Bose 501's[Series- I dunno] I've recently turned to them for my analog
vinyl playback as I consider them a "Rock n Roll" more 'forgiving' listening speaker than the Paragon towers I use for CD/digital/DVD etc. for the crispness they[Paragons] produce which in a environment of 600+ LP's with varying degrees of LP condition is less nerve wracking - vis-a-vis-pops,crackles they seem to exagerate - ergo my opinion on the 501's as more 'forgiving'.
Now, I'll have to explain that I do not consider myself as a expert/audiophile by any means, and frankly, economic considerations figure predominatly in this. I've always craved a set of 901's since the mid '70's when I 1st lheard and was aware of their phenominaly sound and power handling capabilities. I recently acquired the 501s at a low [to me] cost of 350$ Can. in boxes, 2nd hand, and no apparent faults. GREAT! - I figured-at least they were'nt 301s. I realized that in my very small community a set of used 901's was'nt gonna' happen. So I purchashed them and kept them on the 'back shelf' untill circumstances-[ the ill-considered purchase of a replacement Dig./Home Theater main amp with NO phono in?!] made me make one of my more serendipitous acquirements - A older Sansui 'Rack' consisting of the wheeled rack itself with the following components - A TU 317 Tuner, SC 2110 cassette deck and a AU 517 'integrated amp' [Phono IN!] all at what I consider a 'steal' at 200$. O.K. now we're cooking!, as I brought the 501's into play. Anybody still listening?.....
To the 'meat' - Since I've been getting accustomed to hearing the 501's [as configured
with the above factors], I've noticed that they sound rather 'fat'-not quite 'flabby' with yes,- a noticible mid range lack. Not a criticism - especially since 'placement' is probably a big factor in my case....My listening area is approximately the size of a large bathroom! My main '*****' is - why the non-removeable grill covers?!! I don't know if that is 'standard' for all 501's, but in my case, not having a man./schematic and not wanting to perform 'surgery' to orientate myself to the 'lay-out' of idivid. speaker components is probably gonna' add to listening/placement/experiment 'fiddling arround'. Any help or sympathy out there? - [I'm not begging - I'm pleading]! And oh yeah - the addition of stands with 'pointed feet' -[like nails for instance] really do help in sharpening up the bass in my opinion in these. All in all, I'd certainatly love some 901's and because, obviously I hav'nt given these 501's a proper stage, I'll give these a 6 on a 10 scale [1 added because of the above caveat]. Whew! - I think I've made up for lack of participation vis-a -vis:17: hints - EH?!
Your's, Greystoke from Kimberley B.C., Canada

If you really are looking for an answer, you should start a new thread. I don't know if anyone will reply to your question here. This thread had taken on a life of it's own.

emorphien
02-05-2007, 06:54 AM
If you really are looking for an answer, you should start a new thread. I don't know if anyone will reply to your question here. This thread had taken on a life of it's own.
I can't even read his question.

GMichael
02-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I can't even read his question.

Oh, I can read it. I just don't feel that I am qualified enough to answer it.

Resident Loser
02-05-2007, 08:49 AM
...is there a question? It's so run-on and convoluted I'm not sure if Tarzan wants an opinion, a validation or a calmative...Oh! wait...I think I see one now...

Should you futz with your 501s?...Why would you want to take the speaker covers off? All it will do is get your drivers dusty...You may want to try the Bose website, they may have a users manual...As I recall, much like the 901s, they have some placement issues due to the direct/reflecting aspect of the design...

jimHJJ(...a proud 901-ll owner!...)

Brainstorm
02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
You guys should have just recommended he upgrade to Bose... You just *know* that is what he is going to wind up with someday anyway based on his requirements for "good" sound. At least with Bose we don't have to educate SVI on phony specs. :ihih:

---Dave

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/Brainstorm3417/everyonepx4.jpg:D