Week 29: 50 Albums That Changed Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 29: 50 Albums That Changed Music

Swish
01-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm a day or so late this week, for no real reason other than forgetfulness. And without further adieu, this week's selection is certainly expected coming from a British publication. It's certainly among the best selling and most renowned records in the history of rock, and it would be Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Sounds like it was pretty tough to be in Pink Floyd in the early 1970s. You had all the money you could spend (ker-ching!) but you thought that was vulgar. You didn't get on with your bandmates because they all had superiority complexes. You couldn't enter the recording booth without having an existential crisis. Piper at the Gates of Dawn, their debut with the late Syd Barrett turned out to be influential in a more positive sense (David Bowie, Blur). Without this...there's be no Thom Yorke solo mumblings, and much less prog rock (if only...).

Ok, it was a very good record that everyone with the sense of hearing has heard many times over, or at least a few of the tracks, and it was no doubt influential to some degree. The last part of the article did make me laugh since prog leaves me cold, and I think they are correct in that assessment.

Your thoughts?

Swish

Troy
01-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey look, progrock gets slagged in the press! What a shock. And by THESE douchebags no less. Well, it fits their M.O., I'm sure they think Madonna, Prince, Patty Smith and Kate Bush are all more important and influential than DSOTM. Preposterous.

DSOTM is an unmitigated 5-star classic that had far-reaching impact on almost every facet of rock in the early 70s and is still being felt today. Belongs right near the top of a list like this.

Mr MidFi
01-30-2007, 08:39 AM
DSOTM is one of those iconic works that truly transcends its genre. Troy is right...its influence was (and is) far-reaching and deep.

But more than that, Dark Side is a great listen. I still pull it out at least once or twice a year, and it lives up to its legendary status by giving me chills damn near every time. 'Nuf said.

Dusty Chalk
01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I thought the paragraph was badly written, in that it said very little about the album and its influence, and spent way too much time establishing the author's kneejerk perpetuation of the "prog is bad" opinion.

It ain't even prog proper -- to me, it's "space rock".

Of course it's influential -- I've heard two tribute albums to this album that were timed to the original albums timing. But I would have to state the classic line, "often imitated, never duplicated" -- I haven't really heard anything quite like it (other than other albums from Pink Floyd themselves).

kexodusc
01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I think this is the third album on this list that I actually own!
I don't see 13 year old kids wearing Prince or even Madonna T-shirts.
One thing you can say for DSOTM - it's never really gone "out of style"...how many of the other albums on this list can we say that for?
Besides....when was the last time anyone played a Kate Bush album while watching Wizard of Oz?

icarus
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
DSOTM is one fo the trademark albums of the modern day trademark stoners. Either that or pass the dutchie by musical youth!

nobody
01-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Is the record overplayed and overhyped? Probably.

BUT, this thing just slices across the musical preferences of so many different people. I've known people whose primary musical listening is anything from punk to hip hop to rock to country to techno to bhlues that all still listen to this thing. And, that's gotta be something going for it.

Maybe not somethng I wanna play 20 times a year, but absolutely something I wanna have on hand for those inevitable times I do wanna hear it. Group of friends that don't agree on much musically hanging around for a mellow time...just toss this on and you're not usually gonna hear anyone complain.

BradH
01-30-2007, 09:25 PM
It ain't even prog proper -- to me, it's "space rock".

I think of "space rock" as the hard stuff like Hawkwind or Amon Duull. But, no doubt, it's a classic stoner album, maybe THE classic stoner album. But it was also a pop masterpiece. Totally cohesive, brilliant lyrics. Todd Rundgren calls it the Sgt. Peppers of the 70's and I think that's true. It sounded different from anything else at the time. Everybody was doing the post-White Album, close up, dry sound with everything all compressed. Then here comes this thing with that HUGE soundscape. Gilmour pushed for that approach, calling it a "swampy sound". Hell, it even sounded great on 8-track w/ headphones.

But the Guardian continues to snort llama spunk. "Bowie, good. Prog, bad." Yeah, that's brilliant.

3-LockBox
01-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Since prog prog had peaked around this time ('73) I don't see how there'd be "much less Prog" w/o DSOTM...as if Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Genesis etc, etc hadn't already established their own audiences and influence.

It's become cliche to call this article hackish and its writer/s immature, but now I question their relationship to this rag's publishers; they're either next of kin, f***buddies, or have incriminating pictures of higher-ups with farm aminals. Otherwise, how could this drivel ever make it to print?

bobsticks
02-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Very

safe

pick...

...despite the "if she floats she must be a duck and therefore a witch" commentary.

salad 419
02-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Ironic, I just pulled this album out last week after buying and watching the DVD Live In Pompei. Good album. Not my favorite Floyd album, but good.

Looks like I'm gonna hafta checkout some Amon Duull and Hawkwind.