Sangean HD Tuner? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sangean HD Tuner?

blackraven
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking about buying the Sangean HDT-1 tuner and was wondering if anyone has purchased it yet? Its a high definition digital tuner and sells for $199. Initial reviews seem to be good. FM gives CD quality music and AM gives FM quality sound.
www.sangean.com

emorphien
01-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Interesting, I hadn't seen an AM/FM/"HD radio" tuner yet that wasn't in some tabletop stereo. I'd like a tuner for my system, $200 is as much as I'd want to pay too although I'd go used to save if it were possible to get a used tuner with HD capability.

Mr Peabody
01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I didn't see the features on that unit. It's more money but you might want to look at the Cambridge Soundworks, it has a digital out. You could hook it up digitally to your receiver. The Accurian that Radio Shack carries was on sale around Christmas for $150.00 plus you got a rebate that brought he price to $125.00. I've been curious how much they are now.

I believe that HD would, take off quicker if some one would put he tuner in an application we'd actually use or need.

emorphien
01-29-2007, 09:04 PM
You could hook it up digitally to your receiver.
I can't :lol:

Given that $200 for that is less than a lot of the tuners out there, it's not that bad of a price assuming it competes in build and component quality, as well as sound.

blackraven
01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
These units are selling like hot cakes according to other forums. Rotel is coming out with an HD tuner for $900. Check their web site. But for $200 for HD radio, who cares if its analog. The problem with HD radio with digital out put is that the digital format of radio does not hand shake with that of digital audio according to Sangean. They are currently working on a solution. Maybe Rotel and cambridge has found a way around it.

Whats nice about the Sangean is that it looks like a piece of high end audio equipment vs the Cambridge.