Dreamgirls... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dreamgirls...

Worf101
01-29-2007, 04:49 AM
Saw this with friends over the weekend and while not a "perfect" film I give it a B-Plus in my book. Eddie Murphy is stellar as Jimmy Thunder (an amalgam of James Brown, Marvin Gaye and others) while Jamie Fox gives us a spot-on imitation of Berry Gordy during the early days of Motown. The scene stealer however is "American Idol" reject Jennifer White who plays Effie a characther who's life and tradgedies mirrors those of early Supreme Florence Ballard. She's the strongest voice this side of Aretha Franklin. She slew me.

Indeed if you're unfamiliar with the Motown Story... "The Sound of Young America", "Hitsville U.S.A." then this story will mean little to you. Even if you're not familiar with the backstory though you can enjoy the songs and dance. I loved the title song as well as some others and will be buying the soundtrack, but not the movie soundtrack., the stage soundtrack, with my cousin Sheryl Lee -Ralph and Jennifer Holiday is superior to me to the movie soundtrack. Don't say I didn't tell ya. If you love musicals, and/or soul music, give it try, you won't be disappointed.

Da Worfster

The Tahitijack
01-29-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Can you explain why only one of the Dream Girls "back up singers" was nominated for Best Supporting Actress?

GMichael
01-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Sounds good Worf. I'll keep it on my to-do list.

Thanks for the update.

icarus
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
how disapointed was I when i clicked on a thread titled dreamgirls, and all i got was a movie review. I was hoping for a chance to talk about those girls that you couldn't get, even if you lived at gym. Im sad now :(

recoveryone
01-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Dang worf, I didn't know you had peeps in the biz...........lol good deal. I saw this film over the christmas weekend when it came out. I can only say ditto to worfs' review, but I will pick this up on DVD ( the wife loved it).

Worf101
01-31-2007, 04:53 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. Can you explain why only one of the Dream Girls "back up singers" was nominated for Best Supporting Actress?
Cause she was the only one that "killed". Jennifer White, steals every scene, propels all the action, center's the movie and flat out sings her ever lovin' ass off. Beyonce is "alright" but nothing to right home to Momma about. No... the Academy got it right nominating Murphy and White. Simple as that.

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-31-2007, 04:56 AM
how disapointed was I when i clicked on a thread titled dreamgirls, and all i got was a movie review. I was hoping for a chance to talk about those girls that you couldn't get, even if you lived at gym. Im sad now :(
Here's a head's up. If you type in "Dreamgirls.com" you do NOT go to a movie related website... Errr.. you wind up somewhere else, that's NOT in Kansas. Don't say a brother didn't warn ya.

Da Worfster