Usernames, and the story behind them [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Usernames, and the story behind them

MikeyBC
01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen a thread explaining our usernames on this forum..some look interesting so please share the story behind them, Mines kinda obvious, Mike plus my initials. I hope SVI explains his.

emorphien
01-27-2007, 09:46 PM
mine is meaningless

anamorphic96
01-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Mine refers to the system which squeezes an image onto film during shooting, and unsqueezes it during projection. An anamorphic lens is then used to unsqueeze the image horizontally to provide a widescreen image. Also referred to as CinemaScope. 96 is the year I started in the movie theater industry.

Feanor
01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
I haven't seen a thread explaining our usernames on this forum..some look interesting so please share the story behind them, Mines kinda obvious, Mike plus my initials. I hope SVI explains his.

You'lll find many answers here ...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16858&highlight=moniker
My moniker and present avatar are from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Florian
01-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Mine is ....well ... my name LOL

N. Abstentia
01-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Mine was going to be a twist on the title of one of my favorite albums...Porcupine Tree's In Absentia. The idea was to change it to N.Absentia to where it sounds the same but people might go..."hey is this that guys name...Neal Absentia? Norm Absenta? Nathan Absentia????"

But I spelled it wrong! Stuck with it anyway :)

emorphien
01-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Mine was going to be a twist on the title of one of my favorite albums...Porcupine Tree's In Absentia. The idea was to change it to N.Absentia to where it sounds the same but people might go..."hey is this that guys name...Neal Absentia? Norm Absenta? Nathan Absentia????"

:) I had wondered about that for a long time, but never bothered to ask.

basite
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
mine's meaningless, (I think)

my real name is Bert, then my network name changed to (don't laugh) Baritos (dunno how I came to that, I was like 9years old) then I was tired of the Baritos thing, and came out to Basite, which I use almost everywhere, it's also my gamers name, so if you ever happen to see it in wolfenstein enemy territory or so, you'll know it's me...

so, nothing special here,

oh, also, quick update: i'm running on Linux now, works great, and beryl makes it feel like it's lightyears ahead on windows

Keep them spinning,
Bert

emorphien
01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
people still play Wolf:ET?

That was a great game.

JoeE SP9
01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
First name last initial. I really love my ARC preamp.:ihih:

RoyY51
01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
First name, last initial, year I was born. Pretty unimaginative, huh?

Carl Reid
01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
My username is actually the name of some snotty nosed, stuck up, wannabe audiophile who I killed a few years ago and stole his identity....

basite
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
people still play Wolf:ET?

That was a great game.

it's still the most played online multiplayer game ever!
great game indeed, and free,
and there is an opensource version for linux...

Greetings,
Bert.

Grandpaw
01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
As for my user name I think I will just keep you in suspense for awhile. As for my avatar I use a tractor to cut my grass, Jeff

jrhymeammo
01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
JRA

Rhyme Ammunition. Do I spit rhyme like some washed up MCs? Allow me to demonstrate:

"........ ah....YEAH SON!!!"

Still not very sure why I put J in front of it. Maybe cuz "J" looked better than any other letters. Some of my friends think I just dont know how to spell Geronimo.

kexodusc
01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Mine is just my initials wrapped around both al book in the Old Testament and a great classical movement. I needed a handle on some old internet site back in '96. Originally I just wanted the name "Exodus" but someone else took that and then didn't use it and wouldn't give it to me, so I dropped my initials around the word.
Nothing glamorous.

icarus
01-28-2007, 05:10 PM
being a fan some old mytthology I grabbed mine from the story of icarus who had wings made out of wax and flew to close to the sun and go figure... plungedto his death.

jt1stcav
01-28-2007, 05:16 PM
jt1stcav...

My initials to my name: Jim Tidwell.

I was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division at Ft. Hood, TX back in the early '80s.

That's it!

StanleyMuso
01-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Muso because in another place and another time I played the violin in an ensemble and was learning the guitar, and kind of fancied myself a "Muso". I now consider the moniker a bit of a fraud because I haven't touched an instrument in years, but the system won't allow me to change my username. Anybody know if it can be done?

blackraven
01-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I had neck surgery and was off work for 10 weeks so I got hooked on a computer game called Mech Warrior and needed an online name. My neighbor is always throwing bird seed and corn in the street to attract birds, so we always have 20-30 black ravens or crows around our house year round. Damn smart birds.

Luvin Da Blues
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
This isn''t my first pick but I like it for the obvious and the irony...

if you have the "blues do you love anything"

SlumpBuster
01-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I had neck surgery and was off work for 10 weeks so I got hooked on a computer game called Mech Warrior and needed an online name.

Mine is my old MechWarrior callsign, too. Just biding my time for MW5. Stopped playing after MicroSoft dropped support and MechTek started skrewwing with everything.

Btw, what it actually means is: In sports superstition, if you are in a slump, you go out and snag some filthy nasty hookup, thus busting your slump. In college we would use it any way "She's a slumpbuster." "He's slumpbustin' tonight." "Look at him with that skeez, he's a slumpbuster."

emorphien
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
i figured mechwarrior was dead.... what I really would love is a Freespace 3

Onabudgetguy
01-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Being of modest means and trying to raise a family, my name is pretty obvious.

I try to get good sounds from budget gear (not cheap initially, but a few years old, refurbed, etc.)

Sometimes I get a little soapboxy when it comes to newbies asking questions about gear and some people come out slamming gear that doesn't have the right "name." This usually happens when I don't get enough sleep/sugar/caffiene.

noddin0ff
01-29-2007, 08:51 AM
That's a riot. I got the reference but never noticed that it was misspelled. Doh.

Mine is from when yahoo launched their online games years ago. I used to play hold'em. But it was so buggy and laggy you'd have to wait a minute between people. I'd always type "zzzzzzzz" into the chat...so I became noddin0ff. At the time, you couldn't use capital letters in usernames, so I used a zero. I've used that moniker all over the web for years.

GMichael
01-29-2007, 10:01 AM
My username is actually the name of some snotty nosed, stuck up, wannabe audiophile who I killed a few years ago and stole his identity....

Wasn't this supposed to stay a secret? Now you've gone and spilled it!

Mine is, first initial, middle name.

recoveryone
01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
MIne refer's to my old Private Investigation Business.

topspeed
01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Me likee speed.

hermanv
01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I stole mine from the name of this unbelievably clever, intelligent and stunningly handsome guy I know.

The disguise is near perfect, no one will ever recognize me.

Dusty Chalk
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
I used to be an elementary school teacher.

No, not really.

SAEA501
01-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I just needed something I could remember, so I used the model of one of the SAE power amps that was in my system at the time, SAE A501.

Now those amplifiers have joined the stack of equipment in my basement that is currently not being used, but I stuck with the name.....so I could remember it! Got CRS real bad.

GMichael
01-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Got CRS real bad.

Nothing wrong with that. You get to make new friends every day.

powerlord
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I was in a band called PowerLord in the mid 80's, we almost made it except for a glory hoggin' lead singer and bad management.:cornut:

stuwee20
01-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I'd hope all ya NASCAR loving fans would guess mine Mr. Home Depot bad boy himself, I ask if you can find a better driver on four wheels though he's done some cool stuff on two sometimes with two in the air:dita: If there is a track near you, go!:eek6: Stand on turn one and when the pace car turns off for the start of the race and 40 something race cars blow by just feet away if you don't get goose bumps check your pulse!! Your body vibrates better than any sub you ever heard in your life and, the people watching is beyond any thing you ever saw in your life! It's not a sport it's a way of life:crazy: :lol:

Peace Music Love Craig:thumbsup:

PeruvianSkies
01-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Mine is obvious to DREAM THEATER fans as my name is one of their greatest songs from the Falling Into Infinity album, here are the lyrics for those unfamiliar....

There, there it is
I swear hes gonna murder that poor kid
Wait, I hear it again
Dont turn on the lights until we
Hear the way it ends

Under peruvian skies
Vanessa regretfully waits
The story unfolds in her eyes
Where midnight hysterias
No big surprise
Battered and bruised
Always confusing
The love that shes losing for hate
Poor vanessa
Poor, poor vanessa

Hey, I hope you know
Im taking all of this with me when I go
Shame, youre not to blame
Im the monster you created
In your daddys name

Under peruvian skies
Where midnight hysterias
No big surprise
Battered and bruised
Always confusing
Poor vanessa
Poor vanessa

Terror by night
Liar by day
Telling her secrets
Wont take them away

Under peruvian skies
Where midnight hysterias
No big surprise
Battered and bruised
Always confusing

hydroman
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Whata' great thread!

Me? I am a F-16 Hydraulics Technician Weekend Warrior (Air National Guard) Super-Hero!

Dream Theater rules! I saw them last time they were out here!

kelsci
01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
My last name is Kellerman. I dropped the second L. and added sci, appreviated for scientific. I created the name in case I ever opened a business that might involve lite manufacturing or consulting; hence kelsci.

audio_dude
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
well, mine...uhh...actually, I have no idea...I just sorta...uh.... well, I like Audio, and i'm a "dude" i guess?

just nevermind, go away, or, if you have beer, or pot, you can stay...

Woochifer
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Wooch is a shortened version of some whacked out nickname that my best friend in junior high made up for me (no idea how he came up with it, or if he was just buzzed on sugar or magic mushrooms at the time).

Woochifer came about from my days as an AOL-Digital City chat host. (If anyone remembers DCSFWooch, that would be me) The chatroom regulars began calling me Woochifer because of my evil way of dealing with the trolls and perverts who'd periodically drop by! :devil:

thekid
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
A nickname given in my younger days of pick-up hoops
My severely arthritic knee's remind me every morning that much time has passed since those days

LeoFenderBender
02-02-2007, 08:06 PM
The genius that changed electric guitar & electric guitar amps forever...

Carl Reid
02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Wasn't this supposed to stay a secret? Now you've gone and spilled it!

Mine is, first initial, middle name.

Damn... It's the stopping to gloat that gets me everytime... :incazzato:

Guess I'll just have to get rid of all the witnesses in this thread...

KaiWinters
02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Kai is the name of a favorite character in the MechWarrior novel series. I took the name when playing the MechWarrior video game online in the Vengeance/MechWarrior/Mercenaries NBT League and added Winters as a last name after winning it in battle as a clanner so...KaiWinters.
MechWarrior 5 is dead though the NBT League still lives and is doing fairly well. I quit the game, after 8 plus years playing, due to boredom though still stay in touch on the forum.