Rebuilding my system.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my system....

corky newman
01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Got a divorce last year and bought a smaller house for my self...I had one spare bedroom with a nice slanted ceiling. I bought a nice leather recliner from lazyboy and started rebuilding a nice small room system...
I kept some stuff I had, and dumped some....
this is what I have now....

Sansui AU417..mint cond.
Paradigm S3E speakers
Rotel 965BX LE CD player
Onkyo DX 1800 CD player
Marantz PRO CD recorder
Grado head phones...

I have a Rotel RC 970 BX pre amp coming monday..and I will give it a try into the Sansui. but thinking about a new amp..like a class A Yamaha, or a Onkyo..or even a Rotel.
I like the fact I can still have loudness & alittle added power amp EQ on the sansui..?

I use the Onkyo CD player on the older Cd's as it smooths the bad recordings out..the Rotel shows the bad recordings way to much...but on newer Cd's its the bomb.
I stopped useing my Tube DAC, as it was very ear fatigueing in my small room.
and I sold my OHM model L speakers and moved the JBL Riva's, to my TV in the living room....This small room loves just the Paradigms....

Any suggestions......I dont know anything about power amps ...I was allways a Intergrated amp guy...

I love stereo gear, allways was a audio nut..but money is allways a factor.
I sold off my Turntable & all my vinyl, and went pure CD's...with my tube DAC its very very close if I want it to be, but I find the Rotel is fine for all the newer Cd's...
I did bi amp my old Riva's and the sound was more open, but again became ear fatigueing..so the paradigms are not bi amped...
On amps...some tube models can be had...? I dont know anything about them...and Class A...? yamaha.........thanks...corky

basite
01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
erm, a class-A yamaha?
if that ever happens,

the only power amp yamaha produces now is a digital amp (class D).

a rotel RB-1070 is a good amp, also check out nad, and others,
go audition them,

what is your budget, this will help us to narrow down our suggestions...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

corky newman
01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
and it had a AUTO CLASS A....I was told it lowers the wattage to a sweeter detail..?????
I have about $500 to look at a amp....but I saw some nice Onkyo's on ebay for about $200

topspeed
01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
$500 will buy you a lot of nice used amps. Check audiogon.com for a much better selection than you'll find on ebay. Just a quick glance noted Forte, Threshold, Adcom, NAD, and many others that are in your price range. I'm partial to Threshold/Forte as they were designed by Nelson Pass, a legendary designer. There is also a PS Audio HCA 2 for $750 available. Geoffcin (moderator here), myself, as well as a few other members here use this amp and although I've always admired ARC amps, I can honestly say that I have no desire whatsoever to ever trade in this little honey. Check it out.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1175121019

Hope this helps.

corky newman
01-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Getting a new Rotel Pre amp today...will see what it sounds like useing the sansui only as a power amp...

corky newman
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
It came down to these 3 ...Hafler DH200, Adcom 545II, and the Rotel 970BX...
I liked the smoothness of the Hafler, but the rotel had better detail...but then I heard a Adcom 545II..wow had to have it....found it for $175.00.....Great with my Rotel pre amp...
Thanks for all the help.....corky

JoeE SP9
02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Good choice! Check my equipment list.:)

SlumpBuster
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
erm, a class-A yamaha?
if that ever happens,

It happened.
I have a class A yamaha... You been pwned!:cornut:

SlumpBuster
02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
and it had a AUTO CLASS A....I was told it lowers the wattage to a sweeter detail..?????

I wouldn't let Class A sway you. I can't hear the difference, but it's nice to know it's their. :D