Favorite "musician" movies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "musician" movies

Sealed
02-13-2004, 06:01 AM
I read this elsewhere, and thought I'd re-post it here...

The best movies about musicians.

The pianist (Wladyslaw Szpilman)

Immortal beloved (Beethoven)

Amadeus (Mozart)

Great balls of fire (Jerry Lee Lewis)

La Bamba (Ritchie Valens)

Arturo Sandoval story

The legend of 1900

Those are a few off the top... There are probably a lot more I have not seen worth a mention.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Others...

The Buddy Holly Story
Bird
The Doors
24 Hour Party People
The Glenn Miller Story
Lady Sings the Blues
A Star is Born

kelsci
02-13-2004, 04:29 PM
STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER with Clifton Webb, Robert Wagner
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY with Gary Busey

markw
02-16-2004, 08:02 AM
...about George M. Cohen, with James Cagney in the lead. Although technically a composer, I think it goes well within the context of this thread.

Now, if we open this up to non-real musicians, I's nominate "Eddie and the Cruisers" and "Streets of Fire", but mebbe that's another thread.

Express
02-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Conert movie by "The Band"

Kam
02-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Almost Famous and A Mighty Wind

kexodusc
02-20-2004, 11:46 AM
This Is Spinal Tap!!!

Worf101
02-23-2004, 01:46 PM
In no order of preference.

1. Standing in the Shadows of Motown - Phenominal, amazing, informative with outstanding performances. Rent it, buy it (I did) keep it. Learn about the rhythm section that played on more number one's than the Beatles, Stones and Elvis COMBINED!!!!

2. This is Spinal Tap - The funniest movie about music ever made. Bar none, if you've ever played music for a living this movie will have you howling and rolling on the floor.

3. Amadeus - Showed that Rock Stars existed before Rock... outstanding performances.

4. Montery Pop - Legendary performances by Janis, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Laura Nyro and Otis Redding.

5. Woodstock - Same as above cept with Sly & the Family Stone, Cosby, Stills, Nash & Young and a cast of Thousands.

6. Round Midnite - Learn the price too many paid for their art.

7. Let's Get Lost - Same as above

8. Bird - Gave me my first inkling that Eastwood could really, really direct....

9. When We Were Kings - It was supposed to be a documentary about an African soul Festival but a fight broke out between Ali and Foreman and the subject shifted.

10. WattStax - Swansong for a mighty, mighty music label.

That's me story and I'm sticking to it.

Da Worfster

r3Wind
02-27-2004, 08:58 PM
For "non-real" musicians, I'll add Hedwig & the Angry Inch and Velvet Goldmine...

cashlz
02-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Grateful Dawg...... documenting the beginnings of "dawg" music and a fantastic relationship between jerry garcia and david grisman

Sealed
02-28-2004, 11:09 PM
How could I forget:

The Commitments!

Excellent music, and Colm Meaney as the Elvis-worshipping dad had me rolling... :D

Monstrous Mike
03-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Sweet and Lowdown with Sean Penn playing 30's guitarist Emmet Ray and it sure looks like he is playing!