Looking for Bookshelf Speakers $2K-$3K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Bookshelf Speakers $2K-$3K

Carl Reid
01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok guys, I finally bit the bullet and sold my Mission Speakers (they were excellent speakers for the money, but I'm ready for the next level.... bad case of upgradeitis)... so now I'm in the slow process of finding some really good, hopefully "hi-end" Bookshelf speakers.... I'm not in a rush.... so I'm really looking for as many recommendations of potential speakers to listen to over the next month or two...

I listen to all kinds of music... I really love clear, sweet vocals (bass is not a major requirement... which is part of why I'm looking for bookshelf speakers)... The room size is humble about 9'x12' with 7' ceilings....

So far I've heard and really like the B&W 805S.... And I'm anxious to check out PSB Platinum M2s and Paradigm Signature S2s....

So any other suggestions of bookshelf speakers in the $2k - $3K range will be highly appreciated....

emorphien
01-25-2007, 08:34 PM
I know I'd have Totem on my list, with Focal and PSB being other brands I'd look in to. I've never been that enamored with Paradigm or B&W but I'd certainly audition them too. I'd also look in to Thiel just for the heck of it as I'm not too familiar with them.

bobsticks
01-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Carl,

$2-3k is an interesting pricepoint for bookshelves. IMHO I can't see spending that much for something that is inherently limited in frequency output but that's just me.

The B&Ws can be nice if coupled with proper amplification, but why not go esoteric? At this pricepoint you could look at some of the Almarro packages or a variety of the single driver Omega units and, in the case of the latter, still have some bucks left over.

I have looked at both the Omegas and Aurum Cantus for (yet another) secondary system...still kind of on the fence. My amittedly limited experience with bookshelves leads me to believe that the point of diminishing returns creeps up much faster than in other areas of audio.

Cheers

musicman1999
01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Second the Focals,the Profile 908 fit your price range or if you can stretch it a bit the Electra 1007 is truely spectacular.

bill

Carl Reid
01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Carl,

$2-3k is an interesting pricepoint for bookshelves. IMHO I can't see spending that much for something that is inherently limited in frequency output but that's just me.

I used to think that way... but two things changed my mind substantially... 1) The High and mid frequency sound on a $2-$3K bookshelf is in the league with $4-$6K floorstanders, so it's a "relatively" cheap way to get into hi-end (even more so if you buy used).... 2) The combination of my small rectangular room and Amp resulted in far more bass than I needed, with humble dual 6 1/2 inch Mission Floorstanders, so I'm sure I'd get a more "neighbour friendly" bass perfomance with a single 6 1/2 bookshelf...

The B&Ws can be nice if coupled with proper amplification, but why not go esoteric? At this pricepoint you could look at some of the Almarro packages or a variety of the single driver Omega units and, in the case of the latter, still have some bucks left over.

I'm sure I have sufficient amplification for the power hungry B&Ws... though, I am really hoping to find something better than the B&Ws, hopefully for less.... The B&Ws have one major downside, which is that they are masters of revealing how bad some of my your recordings are... so I wouldn't mind a speaker that's not so critical of my CD collection... I'll definitely check out Amarro and Omega if I can find them....

I have looked at both the Omegas and Aurum Cantus for (yet another) secondary system...still kind of on the fence. My amittedly limited experience with bookshelves leads me to believe that the point of diminishing returns creeps up much faster than in other areas of audio.

Cheers

Ohhh, that's the only place where I'd have to disagree pretty strongly... A lot of people have a very different view on bookshelves and diminishing returns.... A lot of reviewers own 'reference' bookshelf speakers, for both size and budget considerations... regarding them as the best way to get high end sound affordably....

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add the Omegas and Aurum to my list of speakers to check out....

Carl Reid
01-25-2007, 09:58 PM
I know I'd have Totem on my list, with Focal and PSB being other brands I'd look in to. I've never been that enamored with Paradigm or B&W but I'd certainly audition them too. I'd also look in to Thiel just for the heck of it as I'm not too familiar with them.

Thanks for the suggestions....

Of the three speakers I listed, I'm actually most excited about the PSBs, I've heard their entry level Alphas and was seriously impressed, so I'm anxious to hear what the platinums sound like....

The B&Ws are my reference as my minimum expectation of what hi-end should sound like... but I'm not sure if I'd actually buy a pair... since they do tend to sound amazing on some recordings but highlight just how bad most recordings are...

The Paradigms are the ones I'm least interested in, since I haven't been very impressed with their Studio series... but based on their reputation I have to at least listen to the Signatures and see if maybe they'll impress me...

I'll add the Focals and Totem to my list...

So so far my list is:

PSB, B&W, Paradigm, Focal, Totem, Omega and Almarro....

emorphien
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
There are other obscure brands I'd really suggest you to look in to, but the problem is I pretty readily forget their names which is why I haven't shared them with you :lol:

Sorry, maybe someone else will remember some of them.

Dusty Chalk
01-26-2007, 05:05 AM
The Magico Mini is a little out of your price range.

I'll second the Focals and Totems.

I wouldn't recommend the Dynaudios based on what you say.

You may also want to look at either an LS3/5a, or one of Spendor's clones. Spendor has some really nice other bookshelves. Their LS3/5a clone doesn't go loud well (LS3/5a's are designed for nearfield listening), but the midrange is to die for. I don't know about the others, but I would try and hear some. I'd also be interested in the Stirling, but I haven't heard a pair.

Quad L series. 11L, 12L. I use active 12L's at the office. They're exquisite beyond words.

Carl Reid
01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
The Magico Mini is a little out of your price range.

I'll second the Focals and Totems.

I wouldn't recommend the Dynaudios based on what you say.

You may also want to look at either an LS3/5a, or one of Spendor's clones. Spendor has some really nice other bookshelves. Their LS3/5a clone doesn't go loud well (LS3/5a's are designed for nearfield listening), but the midrange is to die for. I don't know about the others, but I would try and hear some. I'd also be interested in the Stirling, but I haven't heard a pair.

Quad L series. 11L, 12L. I use active 12L's at the office. They're exquisite beyond words.

You've assesed the situation really well... I've heard the Dynaudios and wasn't impressed... The bass was great for a bookshelf but that was it... just not my taste in speaker...

Are the Quads really that good? I've been wanting to hear them for a while... Hopefully my local Quad Dealer has finally got the L2s... so I may be able to check them out this weekend.... Quad 12s would save me a substantial amount of cash... so that would be nice...

Thanks for the input.....

Dusty Chalk
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Are the Quads really that good?Yes. Let's put it this way -- I had to give up my Spendor S3/5's a while ago, and was always planning on replacing them. Now, I don't feel I need to anymore. And these go loud better than the Spendors.

You should also put Bingo's Jas Orsa's on your list, they're supposed to be really good, too. And if you can find some Aurum Cantus to listen to, that would be good too.

drseid
01-27-2007, 06:13 AM
There are other obscure brands I'd really suggest you to look in to, but the problem is I pretty readily forget their names which is why I haven't shared them with you :lol:

Sorry, maybe someone else will remember some of them.

Call me "Mr. Obscure"... ;-)

I recommend auditioning the following speakers in order of personal preference :

Tyler Acoustics Talo Reference Monitor (less than 2K at $1600/pr., but easily competes with anything in the price range -- downside is Internet/phone sale only, but with trial period and also owners who have volunteered to let people audition in their homes) -- They also sell the even better Linbrook Signatures in your range, but too large a monitor speaker for your room IMO.

Salk Sound Veracity HT-1s (fabulous woodworking from Jim Salk coupled with superb drivers make these an excellent value at $2.2K/pr. Downside is they are built to order and are only sold web/phone like the Tylers. Build time can be sustantial, and hearing them first (unlike Tyler) is difficult as they are *very* obscure)

Green Mountain Audio Callistos (superb speakers if you can get past their "unique" looks -- Manley Stingray integrated amp is a perfect match)

Merlin TSM MX (Bobby done good -- nice looks, *very* nice sound)

Spendor 3.1Ps (excellent speaker that again is a hair less than 2K/pr. but superb sounding with tubes)

---Dave

jrhymeammo
01-27-2007, 07:54 AM
If power is not an issue for you, I would look for a pair with ribbon tweeters.

I was going to suggest Aurum but was beat to it 2wice.

How about Dali Helicon 300. When I purchased my Signature 805(basically same as 805S with different finish), I wanted to get a pair of 300 based on the sound of Helicon 400, but they told me they could never order them.. I wouldnt go for anything other than Mega, Euphonia, or Helicon but that's just me. I never liked their more affordable lines

VMPS
Elac

If ribbon tweets dont interst you, how about Silverline or 2.5way(I believe..) floorstande, Auditiroum by Living Voice?

Personally I wouldnt go with 805S. They were great for Jazz and Classical, but didnt want to play much else..

JohnMichael
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Sonus Faber for excellent sound and cabinets in a $2-3K bookshelf/standmount speaker.

T BOMB25
02-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I second the Salksound Veracity HT-1 and the Green Mountain Audio Callistos,and I would say on the cheaper end the Onix Reference 1,their selling for $599 right now,and the Selah Audio SSR for $1250,and of course my favorite the ACI Sapphire XL's for $1500 to $1700 the best kept secret in speakers.

Pat D
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Well, I'm very fond of the Paradigm Signature S2, obviously, so I'd suggest giving them an audition. Paradigm is coming out with a new version, too, but I have not heard it (nor, apparently, has anyone else!). I found the Signature Series rather smoother than the Reference Series speakers.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_signature_s2/

I liked them better than the B & W 805, though it's a pretty nice speaker. The Dynaudio Contour 1.3 also seemed to me to be very good but seemed to me not as sonically invisible as the S2 on massed violins.

I only heard the PSB Platinum M2 in very dead environments, not what I regarded as a normal acoustic environment, but they did seem to be very smooth and to image well, so I strongly suggest you listen to them, too.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/psb_platinum_m2/

A speaker at the top of your price range I liked was the Thiel PCS, which is meant for near field listening but also sounds very fine farther out. It doesn't have much bass and in a larger room, especially, it would benefit greatly from a subwoofer. I preferred the Signature S2 and the more expensive Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor but I wouldn't say they are better speakers.

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/243/index4.html

I have heard only the older M20 model, but the Revel Performa M22 should be a good candidate for an audition, as well. In close quarters, you would probably want to turn the tweeter down a bit--but you can do that with the Revel.

GMichael
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I like the sound from Totems as well as Ushers. Plenty more that I haven't heard yet.

icarus
02-01-2007, 08:42 AM
ill second the italian made Sonus Faber Concertino Domus.

basite
02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I second totem too,
and dali too.

haven't heard the sonus fabers so I can't comment on that...

I heard that monitor audio was going to bring out a new serie, which will then be their top of the line serie. The bookshelf speaker in that range was going to be around $4000, this, of course, will differ from the real price...

and what about dynaudio?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
The KEF M201's are a nice speaker also.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFM201CH

Rock789
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
mini utopia (http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1174586820)
I see the mini utopia's in the $3k range often on audiogon...

Dusty Chalk
02-01-2007, 06:39 PM
OMG, if you can get a Mini Utopia for under 3K, go for it.

Except it's probably the pre-Be version...but it can be upgraded...I think...

Rock&Roll Ninja
02-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I liked the PSB Platinum M2s enough to buy them myself. But there are not alot of high-end dealers around either I could compare with (The Paradigm Signature S2 is very nice, but I like the PSBs style more).

PeruvianSkies
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I will echo the choice of the PSB Platinum's, which are superb and I plan to get those one day to compliment my Platinum towers.

Carl Reid
02-03-2007, 07:24 AM
I will echo the choice of the PSB Platinum's, which are superb and I plan to get those one day to compliment my Platinum towers.

Hey Peruvian,

What size room do you have the Platinum Towers in? They wouldn't work in my current room but hopefully I should be moving in a few months... so it might be worthwhile (though far more expensive) to look into the Platinum T6s rather than the M2s.... as a long term investment in audio....

Rock789
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
OMG, if you can get a Mini Utopia for under 3K, go for it.

Except it's probably the pre-Be version...but it can be upgraded...I think...
the link I posted is the original series,
the Be series ususally go for $4-6k on audiogon ...

PeruvianSkies
02-03-2007, 09:57 AM
My Platinum T6's are in a dedicated room that is 11X16 with a ceiling height of 7 feet. This is the perfect smaller size room for them, but I wouldn't recommend a room much smaller for them. However, if the room gets much larger, especially with higher ceilings I would go for the T8's. PSB speakers adjust well to just about any room and setup, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Carl Reid
02-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Peruvian,

Thanks for the advice.... I should be checking out the PSBs next weekend.... though they'll have strong competition...

I went for a second listening of the Monitor Audio Gold GS20s (floorstanders) today... The first time I heard them was several weeks ago and they sounded nice (using the store CDs) but I wasn't sold on them...

Today I returned with some of my favorite CDs and was totally blown away.... So far I can easily say that these are the best speakers I've heard, so far, for my musical tastes.... unlike the B&W 805S which sounded amazing on some older store CDs but made most of my collection sound like total crap.... Also, the room was a similar size to my current listening room, which is another plus...

So needless to say... the Monitor Audio Golds are now the number one choice on my list... so hopefully the PSBs will be up the challenge next week...

And thanks to everyone who has given advice so far...

One last thing: feel free to suggest any great floorstanders you've heard in my price range as well...

audio_dude
02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
What about the Tannoy TD8, or some other tannoy speaker in your range?

I heard them a while ago connected to a McIntosh Tube amp, sounded amazing!
(also heard a different model hooked up to an anthem amp, very nice too)

Carl Reid
02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
What about the Tannoy TD8, or some other tannoy speaker in your range?

I heard them a while ago connected to a McIntosh Tube amp, sounded amazing!
(also heard a different model hooked up to an anthem amp, very nice too)

I've never heard a Tannoy speaker.... so if I can find a local dealer I'll definitely check them out...

PeruvianSkies
02-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I think that PSB is always up to the challenge and when driven properly they can do amazing things. The last pair of Platinum monitors that I heard were being driven by Classe amps, and wow did they sing! However, it's completely up to your musical tastes. I like the neatrality that PSB offers where they are accurate and detailed, rather than color the source and become manipulative.

audio_dude
02-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Tannoy is another british brand, like your missions.

But if you see a tannoy, depending on the model, definitively take a look at the mid/bass driver, i don't know, but they use some mighty cool things in the middle for a reason way beyond me, but it sounds great!

Rock789
02-04-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.focal.tm.fr/accueil_en.htm

if you haven't already checked them out, apparently the cobolt line has been replaced with the chorus 800 V series...

these floor standers should be in your price range (if they are about the same as the old series)

not sure about the price on the profile series?

emorphien
02-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Not sure how I forgot to mention those, but definitely check the Focals out.

Dusty Chalk
02-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I think the Profile series is supposed to be priced "middlin'" -- I.E. not cheap, but not expensive (by audiophile standards).

jrhymeammo
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
ill second the italian made Sonus Faber Concertino Domus.
I've always thought the Domus speakers were the worst sounding speakers ever to be sold in Hi-Fi shops. Actually, the other series might be worst but I think they stopped making them. Concertino or somem? I cant remember. Classic Series are good, but they are over priced for some. We all hear differently, dont we?

What about Quad 12L? They sounded pretty good my ears mated with Accuphase gears.

Dusty Chalk
02-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I have the powered ones, and they're astounding. But the passives would be below his price point. Nyuk nyuk nyuk...

Carl Reid
02-12-2007, 07:29 PM
So quick update:

So far I've listened to:

B&W CM1 & 805S Bookshelves + 704 Floorstanders (with the same Rotel gear I have). Unfortunately, I no longer enjoy B&W speakers... for some reason they cause me to suffer from listening fatigue fairly quickly....

Dynaudio Focus 140 Bookshelfs and 220 Floorstanders (same store as te B&Ws, also with the same Rotel gear) - powerful bass, and a bit more mid-range than the B&Ws, but compared to my old Missions... were dull and lifeless in the Highs... not my kind of speaker either....

Totem Rainmakers Bookshelfs + Staff and Forest Floorstanders (with NAD setup I used to have & Arcam setups) - Did nothing for me....

Elac Floorstanders (no idea what model number) with a musical fidelity setup - On there own they would have sounded ok but nothing special... but I compared them directly against a Monitor Audio Gold GS20 and well..... Let's just say I can't even consider the Elacs...

Monitor Audio Gold GS20 Floorstanders - easily the best speaker I've heard for my kind of music... they were combined with a Musical Fidelity setup in a small room similiar to mine... and all I can say is that I never knew "Billie Jean" could sound that good...

Anyway, I should be off to check out more speakers this weekend, though I may be picking up some temporary ones on Thursday.... Hopefully I'll be buying a used pair of Magnepan MMGs for a low price just to get my first taste of Planar sound....

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice so far.... and let you guys know when I finally make a decision....

emorphien
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
good luck man. I'd love to hear some Monitor Audios but there are no dealers in my area.

Carl Reid
02-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Ok so I listened to a few more speakers today...

Firstly I did a direct comparsion between my current favourites the Monitor Audio Gold GS20 and the much cheaper Monitor Audio Silver RS6.... Really not a fair comparison, but I wanted to see if I would just be wasting money to buy the GS20s for more than twice the cost of the RS6s... All I can say here is that if you have the money, buy the GS20s as they are hands down a far superior speaker.... I think that RS6 are exceptional for their price, but the GS20 are just plain exceptional... (I'm starting to think I shoud get a job marketing Monitor Audio Gold Speakers.... I wonder if they'd give me a free pair if I did...lol)

I also auditioned some Electrostats... FINALLY!!!!!

Martin Logan Clarity (a couple hundred canadian more than GS20)... anyway, these are hybrid electrostats.... and in my oppinion, not worth the money.... They totally failed to impress me...

Final Sound 400i (around the same price as the Clarity)... these are true electrostats and are frankly the best speakers I've heard other than the GS20s... Not only did they sound amzing and give me some insight as to why electrostat lovers are so obsessed, but they are easily some of the sexiest looking modern speakers I've seen... I'm tempted to buy a pair just on looks alone... But they also highlighted the inherent problems with Planar speakers... placement is key and these babys need proper placement to excel, which I'm not sure I can give them.... but on the other hand they are only 10 inches wide meaning they are easier to place than many other planars....

Anyway, tomorrow should finally be PSB Platinum time....

Carl Reid
02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
good luck man. I'd love to hear some Monitor Audios but there are no dealers in my area.

You should move to Canada then lol... I have two Monitor Audio Dealers within walking distance of my apt... and ironically, a dealer I should be visiting later this week to check out Quads, Revels, Magnepans and JM Labs also has Montior Audio.... So that should be a worthwhile trip....

Rock789
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
how much are thoes final sounds, they look sharp man

Carl Reid
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM

They're about $4k CDN so probably about $3.3K to $3.5K US..... But on looks alone they're worth the money and the fact that they sound good is a great bonus :)

emorphien
02-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I looked them up myself, what I saw said $3k a pair.

PeruvianSkies
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Oohh I gotta know how the PSB Platinum listen goes....I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed! Do tell!

blackraven
02-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I think you'll find that with most higher end speakers poor recordings sound poor, and good recordings sound good. To me, speakers that make poor recordings sound good are coloring the music and not giving an accurate reproduction. I guess its a matter of personal preference, thats why we have so many choices.

Carl Reid
02-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I think you'll find that with most higher end speakers poor recordings sound poor, and good recordings sound good. To me, speakers that make poor recordings sound good are coloring the music and not giving an accurate reproduction. I guess its a matter of personal preference, thats why we have so many choices.

I agree with what you're saying to a large extent... based on my experiences listening to more expensive equipment.... For example, I found the B&W 800 series peakers to be exceptional on high quality recordings but utterly brutal on mediocre to average recordings.... Now this may appeal to some fans, but not to me....

IMHO people who seek absolute accuracy and faithful reproduction of the original source material are more in love with the technology in this hobby than the actual music (Please note that there is nothing wrong with that, so hopefully no one will attack me for saying it)... The reason I say this, is that if you buy a speaker that will make the 5% of your music collection that is extremely well mastered sound fantastic, but will make the other 95% almost unplayable, then you are more into seeking perfect faithfulness to source than just enjoying the music....

My Primary love is music, and as fascinated as I am by the equipment, it is still only a very distant 2nd to enjoying the music.... So this is something anyone reading my mini-reviews of the speakers I've auditioned should keep in mind....

Anyway, your point reminded me of this excerpt from a review of the Magnepan 20.1 in Soundstage last September:

We reviewers can be a self-absorbed lot, becoming lost in our own world, forgetting that the kind of audio gear that helps us write reviews is not necessarily what everyone should buy for long-term enjoyment. Do you want your audio system to be a tool? Heck no! It's a source of peace and participation with music, not something with which you do work. The MG20.1s are not for would-be reviewers or equipment jockeys. Other speakers, some that cost far less, can tell you more about the other products with which they are used. As transparent as the MG20.1s are through the midrange and especially the treble, they still present music their own particular way, taking over your listening room more than giving you a pristine view into everything upstream and each recording.

blackraven
02-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree toatally what you are saying. One thing thats nice about our hobby though is that we can fine tune our systems with different cables, wires and CDP's to match our tastes.

Carl Reid
02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
So I finally got around to checking out the PSB Platinum M2s today. I carried my favourite test CDs, a combination of very modern and 80's synthezied beats and old school authentic instruments....

Let me get to the point, the PSBs were exceptional. Especially when I threw on The Eagles' Hotel California and The Jackson 5's I wanna be where you are.... I heard detail I've never heard before, not even the B&W 805S (which cost significatntly more than the M2s) delivered that level of detail.... To say that I was impressed was a bit of an understatement.

I also love the look of the PSBs, the T6s are very nice looking floorstanders but I think the M2s are really standout as bookshelves... Rather than the typical blend into the background and try not to be conspicous look of many bookshelves (aimed at high WAF), the M2s are very Macho looking (if you can really describe a speaker as macho).... They are large and intimidating looking and I can easily set them up with my 200 watt amp and not feel like a total tool for doing so...

The downside (if I can really call it that).... is that the PSBs are so detailed and neutral... I found that they were exceptional on music with real instruments but only good with my synthesized modern and 80s CDs... Now I should point out that compared to most competitors which range from average to dreadful on those same CDs, the PSBs are incredible... BUT since my current favourites the Monitor Audio GS20s are speakers that seem to be really designed for modern synthesized music, well they left the PSBs in the dust on tracks like Billie Jean.....

I think a reviewer for soundstage really described the M2's best with:

For the audiophile who wants a no-compromise two-way monitor that will reproduce exactly what’s on a recording (minus the lowest bass), the PSB Platinum M2 holds nothing back. This is a speaker with a character -- a rather characterless one -- that gives a clear view into the performance, for better or worse.

Now one should keep in mind that I'm in no way opposed to a bit of colouration in music if it makes my recordings sound better.... so that may be the deciding factor, If i choose another speaker instead of M2... but regardless, it is a fine speaker...

Damn you PSB, you've just made my decision more difficult... Since now I have to decide between PSB Platinum M2, Monitor Audio GS20 and the Final Sound 400i....

And I haven't even heard the Quads, Revel, JM Lab or Magnepan's yet!!!!

The hunt continues.....

Rock789
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
glad you are finding many speakers you enjoy...
after you have your top picks, go back and audition them again...
I auditioned my top 5 speakers 3 times each (after the first audition) prior to purchasing my focal jmlabs...
maybe excessive, but I wanted to make sure what I got is what I wanted...

PeruvianSkies
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not surprised in the least that the PSB's smoked the B&W's, although more people are familiar with B&W, but I think if they gave PSB a listen they would become bigger fans and also spend less money to get better results. I am a fan of more accurate music reproduction, which is what I get from the T6's and that's fine for me! If I need coloration or more treble/bass whatever I can always integrate an EQ.

anamorphic96
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Thats good to hear the you liked the PSB's. I love the B25's I have. Very impressive for the 380 I paid.

If you goto DMC electronics you can get the M2's in black for 1200.00. Which is Blem-stock. This may turn you off but the blem stock I have seen is so minor you really have to look for it.

Might want to think about this. It could save you 800 or more dollars. I'm thinking of it myself if I can come up with the cash.

Keep us posted.

PeruvianSkies
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
DMC's blem-stock is really amazing. In fact, you need a microscope to find most of the problems and often times it's something so minor like the left speaker is slightly lighter or darker than the right speaker, but you really need to have them side-by-side and in bright light to really even begin to notice and even then it's hard to see. Let's put it this way...the money saved versus the small inperfection is far worth it.

PeruvianSkies
02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
By the way...what were they using to drive the PSB M2's and what do you plan to use to drive your new speakers?

Carl Reid
02-22-2007, 06:43 AM
By the way...what were they using to drive the PSB M2's and what do you plan to use to drive your new speakers?

I heard the PSBs on a NAD Master's Series M3 Integrated Amp (which is probably overkill for the M2's).

As for what I'll be using to drive them.... no idea yet... I'll probably sell my Rotel Amp/Pre-Amp Combo and rebuild my setup.... I'm a big believer in system synergy, so depending on what speakers I eventually buy, I'll likely get equipment that I heard driving them as well...

PeruvianSkies
02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
If you can, try the PSB's driven with either Parasound, Classe, or PS Audio. I have heard the M2's before with any of these 3 and I never felt that anything was comromised. The best was the Classe, which is what I would love to get down the line to replace my Parasound Halo A23 amp. It does the job, but nothing quite like a set of Classe monoblocks. The M2's that I heard were driven by a A21 from Parasound, which was far superior when comparing them to the NAD C272. Hope all goes well for you and we are excited to hear about your final decision!!!

Carl Reid
02-22-2007, 09:36 PM
If you can, try the PSB's driven with either Parasound, Classe, or PS Audio. I have heard the M2's before with any of these 3 and I never felt that anything was comromised. The best was the Classe, which is what I would love to get down the line to replace my Parasound Halo A23 amp. It does the job, but nothing quite like a set of Classe monoblocks. The M2's that I heard were driven by a A21 from Parasound, which was far superior when comparing them to the NAD C272. Hope all goes well for you and we are excited to hear about your final decision!!!

How do you find that the M2s compare to the T6s? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to listen to the T6's when I was in the store, since the dealer was being lazy.... But I'd love to know if you found there to be a substantial difference between the two for Mids and Highs (since the T6's will clearly be in a different class when it comes to bass repsonse).... I like bass, but it's not a major requirement for me. So I'm wondering if I really should consider paying double the price of the M2s + Stands for the T6s.

Also,

The NAD I heard with the M2s was a Masters Series and was in a much higher class than the the NAD 272... but that being said, I still wouldn't purchase the NAD, I'm leaning more towards, Classe, Krell or Musical Fidelity. Though in the short term I may go with something cheaper (that I can move to a bedroom system later)...

I'm actually rebuilding my system from scratch at this stage, which is really a lot of fun (though expensive - so I really need to take my time and get things right)....

PeruvianSkies
02-22-2007, 11:50 PM
How do you find that the M2s compare to the T6s? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to listen to the T6's when I was in the store, since the dealer was being lazy.... But I'd love to know if you found there to be a substantial difference between the two for Mids and Highs (since the T6's will clearly be in a different class when it comes to bass repsonse).... I like bass, but it's not a major requirement for me. So I'm wondering if I really should consider paying double the price of the M2s + Stands for the T6s.

Also,

The NAD I heard with the M2s was a Masters Series and was in a much higher class than the the NAD 272... but that being said, I still wouldn't purchase the NAD, I'm leaning more towards, Classe, Krell or Musical Fidelity. Though in the short term I may go with something cheaper (that I can move to a bedroom system later)...

I'm actually rebuilding my system from scratch at this stage, which is really a lot of fun (though expensive - so I really need to take my time and get things right)....

When comparing the PSB Platinum series to any other speaker out there it's certainly more obvious to hear differences and to see more of a contrast between things, but where it gets really tough is when you are putting PSB against itself! First off there is hardly anything wrong with going either direction for the M2 or for the T6, but I can tell you why I chose what I did and maybe that can help you out. My first two sets of speakers that I owned were PSB's (the Image 4T and the Image 7PT), and I was always mindful that one day I would eventually climb the ladder and get their flagship speaker, but it took time, money, and patience. I had plenty of time, far less money, and even fewer patience. I finally got to the point where I was ready to make my decision, but before doing so I hit alot of high-end shops, went to a few shows, and auditioned like crazy. In my mind I was sold on the PSB line, but before I threw down the money I at least wanted to see what I was up against. I even checked out the M2's briefly, but I was more set on the floorstander for the bass response, which was important to me simply because I am not always a fan of subwoofer.

My requirements were fairly simple. I wanted a speaker that could serve two needs: HT and 2-channel. Since I started to have a greater love for 2-channel done right I knew that I had to find something that could kick butt in both arenas and under those stipulations the PSB line did not fail. It's competators that I auditioned certainly did great in one area or another, but none of them were able to serve both purposes as well. I firmly believe that the M2 is a much better speaker for just 5.1 application, whereas the T6 is capable of doing both HT application as well as 2-channel. If you are using a sub, than the M2 is perfect as you can set the crossover to a perfectly dialed in range and the M2's will sing like there is no tomorrow. When I first heard them (driven by Classe amps) I was floored! I actually had not heard too many speakers of that size deliver such richness and they sound HUGE!

One other major difference (and this goes for all floorstanders vs monitors) is that it seems like the monitors are more aggressive and in-your-face with their sound, which can often make a person think that they sound superior because you are getting all the mid/hi end sound, but what I prefer about the floorstanding speakers is that it seems like they blend better and have a fuller soundstage, better imaging, and feel more complete to me.

One thing that I would like to point out is that the T6 is not a bass-heavy speaker either. You might think that with all those built in woofers that it would be booming, which is not to say that it can't deliver, it's just a very smooth ride. The low-end presence is incredibly detailed (see my review that I did on this site for the T6 as well). It's highlights as with the rest of the Platinum line is it's incredibly neatral sound, the enormous soundstage, and the fidelity that takes you to a whole new level of musicality.

So I suppose my simple answer would be that if you are looking for just 2-channel power than I would go with the T6, but for HT/5.1 application I might lean towards the M2. Either way you can't go wrong. Once again it also depends on your room size, budget, and preference. If you are in a smaller room than you are limited with where you can place your speakers and from my experience the Platinum line tends to love to have about 3-4 feet between them and the rear wall and about 12-18 inches between them and the nearest side wall, if not more. They also need to be a decent distance away from the listener. I actually was thinking about going with the T8, but my room size was small enough that the T8 was overkill and the T6 was just perfect.

Hope that helps if you need any further assistance or clarification please let me know!

Carl Reid
03-03-2007, 03:26 PM
So I finally heard the legendary Quad 22Ls today.

Finish - Impecable. More like polished marble than wood.

Sound - unfortunately they were in a terrible setup in the store front instead of in a nice dedicated listening room and the accompanying equipment was stuff that I really am not a fan of (Cambridge Audio - yes I know that Cambridge Audio and NAD are considered royalty by critics and many consumers in the budget audio world, but I don't fancy the sound, looks and build quality of either. In that price range, I'm a definite fan of Marantz and Rotel... but that's just my preference - no disrespect intended to either NAD or Cambridge fans/owners). Even despite these factors, there was something special about the sound of the Quads.

I could easily buy a pair of 22Ls and be content, actually I may just end up doing that. I'm dying to hear what they will sound like in my own setup... and for just over half the price of my favourite the Monitor Audio GS20s and almost a third of the price of the PSB Platinum T6s, I think they gave me most of what I'm looking for in terms of sound quality... and I think I'd have to buy some seriously expensive supporting equipment to truly appreciate the difference in sound between the Quads and the more expensive brands. However, I will have to hear the Quads again before making any decisions, since initial impressions and excitement over a product can be totally wrong...

My only reservation is that they are so damn short!!!! 31 inches is NOT a good height for a floorstander!

Dusty Chalk
03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
(rubs hands together evilly)

Eh-xcellent!

Carl Reid
03-03-2007, 04:16 PM
So my updated short list at this point:

Monitor Audio Gold GS20 Floorstanders - $3500 CDN

PSB Platinum M2 Bookshelves + Stands - $$2500 CDN

QUAD 21/22L Floorstanders - $2000 - $2300 CDN (would get a significant discount on those prices, might even be able to snatch the 21L for as low as $1400CDN). Most likely gonna go for the 21L over the 22L due to the fact that my small audio room tends to emphasize bass response.

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floorstanders - $1350 CDN (I finally appreciated how good the Silver series were today, when I had a direct comparison between the GS20 and the RS8 in the same room and with the same equipment... once I started listening with my ears instead of my eyes, the differences between the two were fairly subtle). So the the RS6 are now in strong contention for my money... cuz well, they're dirt cheap compared to all the other speakers I'm auditioning and they hold their own sonically.

I've ruled out all the other speakers I've listened to so far for various reasons. The PSB Platinum T6 and Final Sound 400i are off the list due to the fact that I've decided to look for speakers that I can use in a small audio room....

jrhymeammo
03-03-2007, 07:51 PM
They are quite small, arent they? I had the same reaction towards the Viennas.

At least they'll be easier to Agon in a near future

Carl Reid
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
They are quite small, arent they? I had the same reaction towards the Viennas.

At least they'll be easier to Agon in a near future

Ridiculously small. It does help to explain (at least partially) why they can afford to have such an amazing finish on such a relatively cheap speaker... smaller speaker means less cost to upgrade the finish....

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I kind of like them. Puts the tweeters at the right level when I slouch. I think.

PeruvianSkies
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
So my updated short list at this point:

Monitor Audio Gold GS20 Floorstanders - $3500 CDN

PSB Platinum M2 Bookshelves + Stands - $$2500 CDN

QUAD 21/22L Floorstanders - $2000 - $2300 CDN (would get a significant discount on those prices, might even be able to snatch the 21L for as low as $1400CDN). Most likely gonna go for the 21L over the 22L due to the fact that my small audio room tends to emphasize bass response.

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floorstanders - $1350 CDN (I finally appreciated how good the Silver series were today, when I had a direct comparison between the GS20 and the RS8 in the same room and with the same equipment... once I started listening with my ears instead of my eyes, the differences between the two were fairly subtle). So the the RS6 are now in strong contention for my money... cuz well, they're dirt cheap compared to all the other speakers I'm auditioning and they hold their own sonically.

I've ruled out all the other speakers I've listened to so far for various reasons. The PSB Platinum T6 and Final Sound 400i are off the list due to the fact that I've decided to look for speakers that I can use in a small audio room....

That would be a really hard decision, although it must be tough picking when you havn't heard them all under the same circumstances.

Carl Reid
03-04-2007, 09:36 PM
That would be a really hard decision, although it must be tough picking when you havn't heard them all under the same circumstances.

That is exactly what is making the decision even more challenging. I found one dealer that has PSB, Monitor Audio and Quad... So I was so excited to do a comparison... BUT they don't carry the PSB Platinum range, only the Image and Alpha Lines.... what a dissapointment.

In fact, of 4 PSB dealers I've found in my area, only 1 carries the Platinums... and unfortunately that dealer has no other brands that I'm interested in....

Whereas I've found two dealers who stock Quad and Monitor Audio, so I can do a swap out and compare all three of my Quad and M.A. choices against each other..... and one of those dealers even has a dedicated audio room of a very similar size to my own...

PeruvianSkies
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
That is exactly what is making the decision even more challenging. I found one dealer that has PSB, Monitor Audio and Quad... So I was so excited to do a comparison... BUT they don't carry the PSB Platinum range, only the Image and Alpha Lines.... what a dissapointment.

In fact, of 4 PSB dealers I've found in my area, only 1 carries the Platinums... and unfortunately that dealer has no other brands that I'm interested in....

Whereas I've found two dealers who stock Quad and Monitor Audio, so I can do a swap out and compare all three of my Quad and M.A. choices against each other..... and one of those dealers even has a dedicated audio room of a very similar size to my own...

Wow, although it's a hard decision especially since you are putting the M2's against some very solid floorstanders, I would have a seriously hard time believing that any of these can hold a candle to the M2 if they were all under the same conditions. While these others are very good competition I doublt that they have the level of 'blending in' and accuracy that the M2's have. However, you are the one who knows what you like as far as sound, so I think you'll be able to find a winner among these finalists.

Carl Reid
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Wow, although it's a hard decision especially since you are putting the M2's against some very solid floorstanders, I would have a seriously hard time believing that any of these can hold a candle to the M2 if they were all under the same conditions. While these others are very good competition I doublt that they have the level of 'blending in' and accuracy that the M2's have. However, you are the one who knows what you like as far as sound, so I think you'll be able to find a winner among these finalists.

I think that under fair conditions the Quads and Monitor Audio Silver Series would clearly be outclassed by the PSB Platinums, since I'd be comparing mid-level to genuine high end speakers... But I'd love to be able to do a real comparison between the Monitor Audio Gold Series GS10 Bookshelves and the PSB Platinum M2 Bookshelves, both of which retail for the same price. And between the PSB Platinum T6 and the Monitor Audio Gold GS60 Floorstanders (both of which retail for the same price)... That would be an interesting comparison.... since both brands present music in very different, yet compelling ways....

My only wish is that PSB would produce a Platinum T4 floorstander to directly compete with the Monitor Audio GS20 on both price and the ability to be used in a small audio room. I think the Gap between the M2 and T6 is too large (both in terms of price and bass performance)... I know that other brands such as B&W (800 Series) have the same Gap, but I wish more companies would realize that there is a market for high-end floorstanders that can function in small to medium sized rooms.

PeruvianSkies
03-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I think that under fair conditions the Quads and Monitor Audio Silver Series would clearly be outclassed by the PSB Platinums, since I'd be comparing mid-level to genuine high end speakers... But I'd love to be able to do a real comparison between the Monitor Audio Gold Series GS10 Bookshelves and the PSB Platinum M2 Bookshelves, both of which retail for the same price. And between the PSB Platinum T6 and the Monitor Audio Gold GS60 Floorstanders (both of which retail for the same price)... That would be an interesting comparison.... since both brands present music in very different, yet compelling ways....

My only wish is that PSB would produce a Platinum T4 floorstander to directly compete with the Monitor Audio GS20 on both price and the ability to be used in a small audio room. I think the Gap between the M2 and T6 is too large (both in terms of price and bass performance)... I know that other brands such as B&W (800 Series) have the same Gap, but I wish more companies would realize that there is a market for high-end floorstanders that can function in small to medium sized rooms.

That would be really cool for them to make a speaker of that caliber. Especially since the Image line seems to have 3 floorstanders and 2 monitors, plus the entire line of PSB speakers really jumps it goes...

ALPHA (intro speaker)
IMAGE (affordable mid-level)
STRATUS/G-DESIGN (Upper mid-level/near high-level)
PLATINUM (Superb high-end/lightyears beyond anything else in their line)

Carl Reid
03-18-2007, 01:02 PM
First off, thanks again to everyone who has contributed suggestions to this thread. This should be my final update before I make my decision and buy a new audio setup...

After listening to a lot of different speakers... I've narrowed it down to just 2... and despite the name of this thread, both are bookshelves and are below $2K....

But before I get into the two finalists, let me give an update on the 3 speakers I listened to today:

1) Magnepan MG12 (Floorstanders) - Driven by ultra-expensive all McIntosh Gear.... honestly, I was really expecting to be blown away by these planars.... but I discovered today that I'm most definitely not a planar lover... They really did not do it for me at all.... I could imagine them being intoxicating with different tastes in music, but for my musical tastes, they would be a total waste of money....

2) Revel Performa M12 (Bookshelves) - Drvien by Musical Fidelity A3.5 Integrated Amp and CD Player.... SWEET.... very much the way a bookshelf speaker should sound.... I now understand the Revel obssesion that many fans have...

3) Revel Concerta F12 (Floorstanders) - Driven by Cary Audio Receiver and some ultra cheapo Denon DVD player..... Brilliant.... Sounded almost as sweet as the more expensive Perfoma M12's but with solid bass extension....

So with all that in mind, my two finalists are:

1) Monitor Audio RS6 (Floorstander)
2) Revel Concerta F12 (Floorstander)

Now in the US the RS6 go for just 1k while the F12 go for 1.5K, but here I can get either for almost the same price....

Both are very well finished speakers, though the Monitor Audios have superior aesthetics.

The Revels are almost 10 inches taller, which I prefer, since it helps to get the tweeter to a good listening height...

The Monitors arguably have a slightly sweeter mid and high, but the Revels are really full range speakers, with real bass authority.

Both are highly critically acclaimed... The RS6 being What Hi-Fi speaker of the year in England and being listed as a Stereophile Limited Frequency Extension Class B Speaker in the US. While the F12 is a Stereophile Class B Speaker (full frequency) and is budget component of the year for Stereophile...

Looks like I'll have to flip a coin to solve this one.....

I'll post my final decision after I buy one of these two speakers and hopefully a Musical Fidelity A3.5 Integrated Amp to go with it....

jrhymeammo
03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
How do you feel about placing a something under your speakers to raise the height? I think that'll make those shorter speakers you like sound better. But if that something you think you'll allow yourself to do after spend all that cash? Why not look great at the same time, no?

Do you feel like you are rushing to get a new pair? I say this it sounded like Revel just kinda came outta nowhere.
Sounds like you've done alot of your listening though. Would love to hear what you ended up doing.

Best Wishes,

JRA

Carl Reid
03-18-2007, 02:46 PM
How do you feel about placing a something under your speakers to raise the height? I think that'll make those shorter speakers you like sound better. But if that something you think you'll allow yourself to do after spend all that cash? Why not look great at the same time, no?

Do you feel like you are rushing to get a new pair? I say this it sounded like Revel just kinda came outta nowhere.
Sounds like you've done alot of your listening though. Would love to hear what you ended up doing.

Best Wishes,

JRA

I have considered using small platforms to raise the height of the Monitor Audios... I actually know exactly what I'd use.... look nice and are really cheap... but... still I'd prefer speakers a bit taller (though that isn't a major deciding factor... since I'm not willing to trade good sound for height)....

As for the Revels coming out of nowhere... well, they did...

I've heard a number of really nice speakers that I liked (including Quad, PSB & Final Sound)..... but only the Monitor Audio (more so the Gold than the Silver) and the Revels have really blown me away.... Both work extremely well for my varied musical tastes...

So that's why I've narrowed it down to just those two.... BUT I'm still not in a rush to purchase.... I'll be listening to both the Revels and Monitor Audios a few more times before commiting to either... and if some speaker I haven't heard yet appears, I'll be sure to check it out....

I'll definitely let you guys know what I eventually purchase....

jrhymeammo
03-18-2007, 03:38 PM
That's cool, Carl.

Sometimes, great speakers come outta nowhere.

I remember people posting that MA Gold are extremely overpriced considering how great Silvers sound. Have you audiitoned any Thiel? They are made here in Lexington(I think). I should go and see if I can go on a tour.

Have you considered Coincident speakers? You call them directly, and they'll pay for the shipping and receive a discount. No?

Carl Reid
03-18-2007, 04:33 PM
That's cool, Carl.

Sometimes, great speakers come outta nowhere.

I remember people posting that MA Gold are extremely overpriced considering how great Silvers sound. Have you audiitoned any Thiel? They are made here in Lexington(I think). I should go and see if I can go on a tour.

Have you considered Coincident speakers? You call them directly, and they'll pay for the shipping and receive a discount. No?

I haven't tried Thiel yet... So I'll see if I can find a local dealer to check them out....

As for the MA Gold being overpriced.... I've heard that before even by two different sales guys.... and to an extent it is true, since you can get most of the performance of the Gold Series with the Silvers. But I find that to be true of many other Speaker companies as well.... including Revel and B&W.... usually the Jump in price between series is really hard to justfiy (unless you have a lot of free cash lying around).....

I've compared the Gold against the Silver series twice... the first time the difference was substantial... but I later realized that I had been 'conned' by the sales guy.... the silvers were setup at the one side of the room on some entry level Cambridge audio gear, while the Golds were setup on another side with far more expensive YBA Gear.... and I was listening at different volume levels... so that was not a fair comparison...

The next comparison was in another dealer, with both Gold and Silver setup up side by side using the same NAD equipment. In that setup I actually had to ask which speaker was playing to tell the difference sometimes...

And that last experience is why I dropped the Gold Series as my top choice and opted for the much, much, much cheaper Silver series....

Thanks again for all your suggestions so far JRH....

P.S. the reason I dropped Quad from my list is because I have only one Quad dealer (all the other dealers seem to have dropped the Quad line) and their setup is so lousy, that even though I can hear that there is something special about the Quads... I can't do a proper audition of them.... and I'm not going to buy anything unless it really sounds right to me....

PSB also got dropped, because like Quad there is only one dealer of the Platinum Series, with a pretty lousy setup.... and the only Platinum Model I can justify buying on price is the M2 (but I want more bass extension than a bookshelf will provide)....

Final Sound got dropped, since I realized that I was more into the look of the speakers and the fact that they are Electrostats than the sound.... for $500 less, the Monitor Audio Golds Sound much better....

B&W CM Series were my original favourites, but I find them too harsh now... as they give me serious listening fatigue...

And I just haven't been really drawn into the music by any of the other speakers I've heard....

So the search will continue.... but for now, there are just two contenders...

PeruvianSkies
03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I haven't tried Thiel yet... So I'll see if I can find a local dealer to check them out....

As for the MA Gold being overpriced.... I've heard that before even by two different sales guys.... and to an extent it is true, since you can get most of the performance of the Gold Series with the Silvers. But I find that to be true of many other Speaker companies as well.... including Revel and B&W.... usually the Jump in price between series is really hard to justfiy (unless you have a lot of free cash lying around).....

I've compared the Gold against the Silver series twice... the first time the difference was substantial... but I later realized that I had been 'conned' by the sales guy.... the silvers were setup at the one side of the room on some entry level Cambridge audio gear, while the Golds were setup on another side with far more expensive YBA Gear.... and I was listening at different volume levels... so that was not a fair comparison...

The next comparison was in another dealer, with both Gold and Silver setup up side by side using the same NAD equipment. In that setup I actually had to ask which speaker was playing to tell the difference sometimes...

And that last experience is why I dropped the Gold Series as my top choice and opted for the much, much, much cheaper Silver series....

Thanks again for all your suggestions so far JRH....

P.S. the reason I dropped Quad from my list is because I have only one Quad dealer (all the other dealers seem to have dropped the Quad line) and their setup is so lousy, that even though I can hear that there is something special about the Quads... I can't do a proper audition of them.... and I'm not going to buy anything unless it really sounds right to me....

PSB also got dropped, because like Quad there is only one dealer of the Platinum Series, with a pretty lousy setup.... and the only Platinum Model I can justify buying on price is the M2 (but I want more bass extension than a bookshelf will provide)....

Final Sound got dropped, since I realized that I was more into the look of the speakers and the fact that they are Electrostats than the sound.... for $500 less, the Monitor Audio Golds Sound much better....

B&W CM Series were my original favourites, but I find them too harsh now... as they give me serious listening fatigue...

And I just haven't been really drawn into the music by any of the other speakers I've heard....

So the search will continue.... but for now, there are just two contenders...

It's a shame that some really great companies were not able to 'represent' themselves well enough, but I think you are making a wise decision by going with the speakers that you were able to accurately test out and demo. It's one of those things where you ultimately wish you could spend about 2 full weeks with all of your speakers of choice in your home setup and do some extensive testing before buying. Personally with the prices of some speakers out there (costing as much as vehicles) that you should be able to test drive them quite a bit before making any decision. Fortunately I knew a guy who also had the Platinum's in my area and was able to test them out at his place before making my decision because all the local shops only carried PSB's lower line of stuff and tons of B&W, which I have never been that impressed with.

Carl Reid
03-18-2007, 08:01 PM
It's a shame that some really great companies were not able to 'represent' themselves well enough, but I think you are making a wise decision by going with the speakers that you were able to accurately test out and demo. It's one of those things where you ultimately wish you could spend about 2 full weeks with all of your speakers of choice in your home setup and do some extensive testing before buying. Personally with the prices of some speakers out there (costing as much as vehicles) that you should be able to test drive them quite a bit before making any decision.......

I'm totally in agreement with the need for proper testing... we really should be able to "test drive" audio equipment!

I found out the need for proper testing the hard way... my first serious audio setup was a pair of Mission Volare 63 Floorstanders with a NAD C352 integrated Amp and a NAD C521Bee CD Player... All 3 products were highly critically acclaimed... The Missions were speaker of the year in Europe (EISA awards) and I'm sure just about everybody on this site, probably knows how much reviewers love NAD...

Now all those products are fine in their own right, but I bought them mostly on reputation with only a brief listening test of the individual products but not the entire setup... Which was a mistake....

The setup was totally inoffensive... it didn't really do anything wrong, but for my ears it didn't do anything really special either.... And looking around now, I see that for the same money I could have put together a much more satisfying combo...

So now, I really have to be thoroughly impressed with a setup before I'll part with my cash...

PeruvianSkies
03-19-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm totally in agreement with the need for proper testing... we really should be able to "test drive" audio equipment!

I found out the need for proper testing the hard way... my first serious audio setup was a pair of Mission Volare 63 Floorstanders with a NAD C352 integrated Amp and a NAD C521Bee CD Player... All 3 products were highly critically acclaimed... The Missions were speaker of the year in Europe (EISA awards) and I'm sure just about everybody on this site, probably knows how much reviewers love NAD...

Now all those products are fine in their own right, but I bought them mostly on reputation with only a brief listening test of the individual products but not the entire setup... Which was a mistake....

The setup was totally inoffensive... it didn't really do anything wrong, but for my ears it didn't do anything really special either.... And looking around now, I see that for the same money I could have put together a much more satisfying combo...

So now, I really have to be thoroughly impressed with a setup before I'll part with my cash...

I made the mistake in buying my NAD C372. While it's a good integrated amp I made a rush choice of buying it and within a few weeks bought the Parasound Halo Amp I am still using. The Parasound is a much better match for my PSB speakers (both the Image and the Platinums). Looking back I wish I had just spent that money elsewhere, so now the NAD is powering my surrounds, which is hardly giving that type of amp the duty it deserves. I will probably sell this amp off in the next year along with my Denon 2910 DVD player and put that money towards another Halo amp so I can bi-amp my speakers.