Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001

timbrooks2001us
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Looking for recommendations on a single CD player. I will be connecting it to the NAD C162 and C272. The speakers I am driving are B&W 603S3. The two single CD players I have identified are Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001.

Please recommend!!.

JohnMichael
01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Looking for recommendations on a single CD player. I will be connecting it to the NAD C162 and C272. The speakers I am driving are B&W 603S3. The two single CD players I have identified are Onkyo DX7555 or Marantz CD5001.

Please recommend!!.

I and several members enjoy our Marantz CD5001 cd players. I have owned mine since March and it has been a very dependable player. Sound quality is excellent for the money. Five memebers have written reviews of that player in the review section. I have not heard the Onkyo.

Mr Peabody
01-25-2007, 06:27 PM
From the units I have heard of these two brands I'd have to second the Marantz nod. What's the budget? Have you ruled out brands like Cambridge Audio?

Resident Loser
01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
...Onkyo @$599 MSRP is a bit pricier and uses a Wolfson DAC (for those who care about audiophool name-dropping) and the $329 Marantz, Cirrus Logic (again for those who care)...A case of caveat emptor or justified price diff?

In my limited experience with both product lines, I tend to prefer the build quality of Onkyo products, but the Marantz does have a 3yr warranty and a pitch control (important for the musicians among us)...

jimHJJ[...nowadays, time is tight, so most of the time I'm listening to a GPX port CDP ($7 after rebate) through modded $6 Sony phones (still undergoing mods)...good listening can be had on the cheap...]

nightflier
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Despite the wolfson DAC, I would also give the nod to the Marantz. And if build quality is an issue, there are a number of DIY mods you can do on the Marantz players to give them more stability, heft, and to reduce resonances - just do a google search on the topic.

I also like the Marantz' ability to speed up or slow down the playback speed. This is a highly unusual feature at this price (at least in the non-pro market). I can think of a few classical recordings that could use some slowing down. And with the $200 that you save you can buy yourself some better ICs or a decent power chord.

timbrooks2001us
02-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks folks for the replies. I will do some more investigations with the local dealers and take a decision.

Tim

Carl Reid
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
You definitely want to listen to as many options as you can and draw your own conclusions...

But based on my own experience I'd easily recommend the Marantz.... I think it's an amazing value for the money.....

anamorphic96
02-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Have you thought of the NAD players. The C542 and C525BEE are might fine players for the money.

jrhymeammo
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I was waiting for someone to recommend one made by Cambridge. C-CDP used to be recommended on this site like the way 5001 has been recently. It's hard to make your decision based on what members here recommend. But, I was to make a suggestion, I would say go with Marantz. I say this because I like my 8001, and Marantz receivers I've heard before. Never cared for Onkyo/Integra that much... I think you should ignore my input along with others.

btw, I've never heard anything made by CA.

jimHJJ[...nowadays, time is tight, so most of the time I'm listening to a GPX port CDP ($7 after rebate) through modded $6 Sony phones (still undergoing mods)...good listening can be had on the cheap...]
That's great, man. You wanna sell me your STAX?
-J

Resident Loser
02-07-2007, 06:34 AM
...That's great, man. You wanna sell me your STAX?
-J

...a cheap and curious tinkerer but I'm not an idiot...

jimHJJ(...sorry, no sale...)

AmpItUP
02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd pick the Marantz over the Onkyo too.

basite
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I heard a similar onkyo, and compared it with a marantz cd5001 OSE,

I ordered the marantz, it sounded softer, and 'quieter' than the onkyo...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.