Best set up with tivo for HD tv? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best set up with tivo for HD tv?

gbelous
01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Here is a complicated situation, at least it is to me...
I am in the process of getting a HDTV. Currently I have the cable wire going from the wall to the tivo and then to a receiver and then to a standard tv all using composite cables. Once I get a HDTV I don't want to use composite anymore but my tivo only has s-video...but my receiver does not. What is the best way to hook everything up?
I assume that if I use S-video from tivo directly to the tv that will get a better picture but the audio won't be surround sound because that is composite from tivo too. Is it possible to connect the cable to the tv directly and then use the digital out to the receiver?

I guess I'm just trying to find out how to get the best connections for everything without replacing any equipment.

please view "hookups with new tv" file in my member gallery to see layout of equipment.

gbelous
01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Here's the image

musicman1999
01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
With a HDTV you will need to use at least component video to carry the high def signal and you can use a digital hookup from cable box to reciever for audio.You do not need to run video through the reciever,direct to television will give better picture.

bill

gbelous
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Okay, I can run the tivo video straight from the tivo to the tv with s-video. but I don't have a cable box, just comes in thru the wall straight to the tivo.
For the DVD player I can run the HDMI out right to the TV as well and avoid the receiver except for sound thru digital fiber optic.

Groundbeef
01-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Your TIVO unit will NOT decode the HD OTA signal. It will also not receive the digital cable signal unless you have Series 3.

Unless you have a decoder on your TV OR your reciever can decode HD OTA your out of luck w/o cable box or sat box.

gbelous
01-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Okay, that's what I figured. I guess the best way to see how everything looks is to just hook it up with the bet connections I can and go from there!