While I'm here - 2007 music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : While I'm here - 2007 music

Jim Clark
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Listening to Of Montreal's newest right now. Can't see too many digging it except for perhaps Stone and Dustychalk (you still like everything, right?) I am enjoying it but I wouldn't suggest buying it on faith. Mush darker than the Sunlandic Twin that Stone turned me on to. As always listen to some samples first. The packaging is the most creative I've ever seen. In other words it's a freaking disaster. What a pain in the buttledge to get this thing in and out. It's in what I can best describe as a flattened Chinese take out container and that monstrosity is tucked into a plastic sleeve that's just a tad too tight. What where they thinking? If it's about the music stick the darn thing in a jewell case please.

Also grabbed the Shins new one which of course I had the opportunity to preview. Love it. Was plannning to grab a vinyl copy and I still may but the portability of CD is still very appealing to me. Can't listen to vinyl of the way home from the record store. Plus I'm only about 1/3 of the way done running my current albums through the RCM and it's been a real pain.

Anyone grab the new Clinic that made it's showing today? Didn't know about it at the time or I would have grabbed it too. Would love to see a thumbs up or down on that one.

Regards,
jc

Slosh
01-23-2007, 01:52 PM
I'll hafta hear some new Clinic first before I buy. Probably will pick up the new Shins this weekend (if I can find it on LP).

Still catching up on last year. A friend lent me:

Cat Power - The Greatest (meh, but other than a few songs I was never a fan)
Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics DVD-A (Is this a 2006 release or 2005 :confused: I forget. Only one spin thus far but it's better than I expected)
Eleventh Dream Day - Zeros And Ones (Not bad but only had the chance to play it once)
Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (s'ok)

NP: Doves - Lost Souls

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2007, 02:17 PM
I'll be heading out to pick up that new Shins this week. As you said, I had the opportunity to preview it and didn't like it as much as Chutes, but it's still worth the purchase price.

I know it's 2006, but I've been spinning The Cranes Wife almost non-stop this week.

Dusty Chalk
01-24-2007, 04:17 AM
...Dustychalk (you still like everything, right?)I still like a strange cross-section of everything, yes. I still like what I like, and there are plenty of things I don't. Will seek out samples, thanks for the rec!

Stone
01-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I had planned on getting this on Tuesday, but instead walked out of the store with the following:

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - s/t

The Broken West - I Can't Go On I'll Go On

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity

Not enough listening to really report anything substantive, but based on a crappy preview I had, I'm pretty confident I'll like TGTB&TQ. I really need to get that Of Montreal.

Slosh
01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I got me some 2007 stuff now:

Rob Crow - Living Well (not much different from Pinback which is fine by me)
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away (so far, so good)

Didn't grab Clinic - Visitations just yet. I still want to hear a few tracks before pulling the trigger.

Bunch of stuff later this year on my radar:

Andrew Bird (previewing and not disappointed :) )
Arcade Fire
Modest Mouse
Bloc Party (previewing)
Wilco

The new year is looking to shape up nicely, IMO.

NP: Rob Crow "I Hate You, Rob Crow"

Jim Clark
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I got me some 2007 stuff now:

Rob Crow - Living Well (not much different from Pinback which is fine by me)
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away (so far, so good)

Didn't grab Clinic - Visitations just yet. I still want to hear a few tracks before pulling the trigger.

Bunch of stuff later this year on my radar:

Andrew Bird (previewing and not disappointed :) )
Arcade Fire
Modest Mouse
Bloc Party (previewing)
Wilco

The new year is looking to shape up nicely, IMO.

NP: Rob Crow "I Hate You, Rob Crow"

there's a new album by The National due in the first half of 2007 as well as the second Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Not really your thing, but it is mine.

jc

Slosh
01-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I listened to Armchair Apocrypha a couple of times today. Funny that "Dark Matter" evolved, lyrically at least, from "Sweetbreads", a song I heard from an etree.org Bowl Of Fire concert download from June 2, 2001! I guess that shouldn't come as much of a surprise as that same concert also has songs from The Mysterious Production Of Eggs and pre-dates that album by four years. Seems some of his songs are ever changing and take on a life of their own.

NP: Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City (advance)

Slosh
01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
BTW, this appears to be the album cover
http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2385&stc=1&d=1169859053
200px-Armchair_Apocrypha.jpg

bobsticks
01-26-2007, 05:37 PM
nice rec Sloshy, wink-wink, nod-nod, a nudge is as good as an apocryphal grin...