Universal player, PAL->NTSC, code free ... what else? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Universal player, PAL->NTSC, code free ... what else?

Dusty Chalk
01-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Okay, my short list:

Oppo 981
Oppo 970
Helios H4000
modded Denon or Pioneer, E.G., DV-47Ai (http://www.110220volts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DV-47Ai)

anything else I should be looking at? It needs to play them all, I'm turd...that's, tired of having multiple players, I'm going to reduce to two things: a carousel CD player, and a universal DVD player. I want to be able to listen to DVD-A's and SACD's; don't care about HDCD; needs to be region free or code free (I have several imported movies such as the Japanese cut of Kill Bill Vol. 2); needs to be able to play PAL on a NTSC set (Depeche Mode DVD's that came with the SACD's). Anything else I should add to the list?

What the heck is SDI? Do I need it? My current set only has composite and S-Video in, so I'm not too worried just yet. Will probably upgrade in the future.

Are there any companies that do code-free/region-free mods (plus the PAL->NTSC conversions) that you'd recommend?

Price range is under a thou.

If you have specific feelings on audio quality, I'd be especially interested in hearing them. I just heard from someone that they weren't particularly impressed with the audio quality of the Oppo (970), otherwise that would have been a clean sweep. I'm hoping the 981 is better, I'm still considering chancing it. The Pioneer linked to above is particularly appealing because I could eventually get the digital linkable corresponding receiver, and get the best sound at my price point. Then I don't have to worry about the sound quality of the DACs on the player.

Is the same true for video? I know not all upscalers are the same -- Faroudja, my friend told me, has about 20 different levels, from the cheap ones that are built in to the entry level players, to professional ones that some of you probably have never seen. But if you use the digital link, and the upscaler is sufficient quality, then you don't care about the picture that the player produces (for example, out of composite), only the picture (DACs) in the television. Right?

Oh, and: it's possible I will want to end up with two of these. The reason being, I am slowly setting up a DVD-watching system by my computer -- using my monitor as a display -- am eventually getting this one (http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Monitors_316684/LCD+_Q1_Flat+Panel_Q1_+Monitors_316694/22_PL1_+inch+LCD_381956/1535923R_ProdDetail?seg=hm), will use composite or S-Video now, probably DVI later -- and my (sweet) headphone setup for audio. So perhaps the outputs of this player are important. If it's a Denon, I can always get it modded by RAM or somewho.

PeruvianSkies
01-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Make sure that the PAL-NTSC and vise version conversion is good, at least 16MB.

blackraven
01-23-2007, 12:45 PM
The oppo 981 does not have composite video out, it only has HDMI! If your leaning to oppo, check out www.referenceaudiomods.com. They sell modded oppo units. The superclock 4 mod is only $300.

EdwardGein
01-24-2007, 12:42 AM
There's a very inexpensive download called DVD Region + CSS Free which combined with
DVD Shrink (free online program) will convert any DVD to Region 0. I've had 100% success on all my conversions. It also enables you to burn DVD's that DVD Shrink on its own can't handle because of Arcoss (spelling?). To be more specific, it will burn a DVD to Region 0 from say a PAL or NTSC DVD.

Dusty Chalk
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
The oppo 981 does not have composite video out, it only has HDMI! I am heavily leaning towards the 981. My monitor (http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Monitors_316684/LCD+_Q1_Flat+Panel_Q1_+Monitors_316694/22_PL1_+inch+LCD_381956/1535923R_ProdDetail) has a DVI as an input -- is it just a matter of an adapter to attach the HDMI out to the DVI in, such as these (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&style=)? Or do I need to check other things? Like, if the HDMI out only outputs at 1080p, and my monitor can't take 1080p, then it won't work? Or is there some sort of downconversion that will automatically kick in? Or should I stick to the 970, since they both have component (both == 970 DVD player, and 2275 LCD monitor)?