Politics in Music Rant [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Politics in Music Rant

icarus
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
:17: Last night I attended an punk show with Moneen, Anti-Flag, Rise Agaist and Billy Talent. :incazzato: Even though I am one of the younger members on this forum next to Basite. The crowd was populated with elementary and middle school kids with the odd teenager and only a handfull of people of actually voting age, or even drinking age.

Every single band went off on politcs with the entire crowd following like sheep without a basic understanding of politcs what so ever. Even the "artists" themselves are running out of clever ways to bad mouth politicians. For example: at the start of Billy Talent the lead singer yelled out "Stephen Harper Sucks" There are several things wrong with this statement. Even though I didn't vote for him he has still been one of the better prime ministers we have had for a while. And secondly there is absolutely no credibility behind such a broad statement... what part sucks!!! lets get creative people!!!

In new age rock and punk it is the norm for these bands to rant about politics, and praising the idea to not conform. for those of you that have not been to one of these concerts, all these little "emo/goth" kids thinking they are all non conformist by wearing mo-hawks blue hair and wearing all black. You look around and they all look the same WAY TO NOT CONFORM!!!! :mad5:

And Whatever happened to forming your own opinions about politics instead of just following whatever the hell the these "original" rockers say.

well thats a good start for my rant:incazzato:

dean_martin
01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Excellent rant. Make up your own mind. This has been going on for years and years. Unfortunately, some of the bands I like musically are simply embarassing when their members or frontmen go on and on about politics and what WE need to do or think.

icarus
01-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Well im going to continue my rant a little bit here... I can tolerate these guys preeching @#*! politcians.. but at one point in the show Billy Talent began ripping into the military which is just totally offside and shows a total lack of knowledge of the workings of the governments. By ripping into a group of people giving their lives for their country whether our not you beleive they should be engaged in the conflict or not... your beef is not with the soldiers them selves but the government that thought it would be a good idea to go to war with these countries. If these soldiers had their choice and weren't following oders, I could almost guarentee that most soldiers would rather not be over.

By saying the military sucks without any facts or follow up opinions shows total arrogance, and disrepect to both current soldiers, and veterans.

The basic point of my rant is not to get involved in, and begin to diss and voice strong opinions without background knowledge in the feild, and also avoid the broad statements... lets get some details... So you hate the current government, fine.. but what did they do to make you hate them.. lets get some details.. show me that you actually have a vague idea of what your talking about...

icarus
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
If you actually read all of my thanks... if not well it doesn't bother me it just feels so good to get that out there... and hopefully it all makes sense... as i said it was a rant... I didn't exactly proof read it.

ForeverAutumn
01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
If Billy Talent want a good example of sucking, they should take a good, long look in the mirror. :rolleyes: Sorry icarus, I've never seen the appeal of this band and I don't understand their many Juno wins. They beat The Trews for best new band????? C'mon.

You know what really bugs me about what Billy Talent, and the many others who do this sort of thing, did? We pay our money to buy tickets to hear them perform their music. If we wanted to hear a political rant we would go to a political rally. I don't really care what they think. And it's arrogant of them to think that I do care. And, if we had the opportunity to ask them, "why do you think so-and-so sucks?", they probably couldn't come up with any real reasons anyway. It's just cool to hate the establishment...so they do. Just shut up and sing. :incazzato:

I'm glad to see that you have enough of a mind to make your own decisions and not be influenced by musicians who think that they're policiticians. The worst of the bunch is Bono...telling Paul Martin how he should be spending our tax dollars. What an ass.

icarus
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
In my defense I could care less for billy talent.. my brother dragged me to it. that is totally an ******* move that Bono did trying to tell paul martin how to spend our tax dollars... at least Bono has an understanding of some of the world events even if it is skewed due to all of his media attention he brings to starving kids.

If we look back about 10 years ago to Rage Against the machine... there is/was a band that actually rocked out about world politcs with an understanding of what is going on.

and System of a Down is a band that also *****es about politcs and war, but at least they have shown to do someithing about politcs... but joining in on war rallies ect...

blah... blah... blah...