Please read- Power COnditioner/Surge. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please read- Power COnditioner/Surge.

gjpham
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
What's the majority of ppl in here equip'd their music and/or HT system with a power condictioner/surge unit? If you have one, please share your thoughts.
I'm plaining to spend $500 for this device and have no idea how much it will improve my system. Will I be able to hear/see any differences or am I throwing $500 out the window for something unnecessary?
I'm looking at this particular Panamax 5400-ex for $500 at Etronics.com. I want this one because it fits my pocket and because of its cool blue LEDs which perfectly matched wtih my HK AVR435. ($600). The rest of my system is a $3,000 TV 65" WD-65732 and $300 DVD player Elite DV-46av. A very simple set up.
THanks in advance.

Additional Q: Is my rating correctly?
1st, Furman brand.
2nd, Panamax brand.
3rd, APC brand .

noddin0ff
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I do believe one should have surge protection (which can be had for well under $100). Power conditioning, I believe is a load of bull unless you have some third world power supply company or run your house of a gas generator... But I'm sure others will have different opinions.

It would be cheapest to get simple surge protection and then see. Maybe you could demo power conditioners to see if they make a difference?

Feanor
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
What's the majority of ppl in here equip'd their music and/or HT system with a power condictioner/surge unit? If you have one, please share your thoughts.
I'm plaining to spend $500 for this device and have no idea how much it will improve my system. Will I be able to hear/see any differences or am I throwing $500 out the window for something unnecessary? ....

I've never heard any improvement in sound for the low and medium-priced surge/noise suppression devices I've tried. Maybe I'm just lucking in having good utility power where I live. Nevertheless some protection of your equipment is a good idea.

I got the following on eBay for $220, brand new; it is comparable to similarly priced products from APC and Monster ...
http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=178925#

E-Stat
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
What's the majority of ppl in here equip'd their music and/or HT system with a power condictioner/surge unit?
The challenge with all sorts of power conditioning, regeneration, and power cord products is their value varies greatly from system to system. Contrary to popular belief, the objective of power conditioning is not to *fix* problems originating from the power grid. It is to filter RFI grunge inflicted on the power in your own house by a range of digital devices. In all cases, the result of effective filtering is a lower noise floor revealing a "blacker" background where more detail is evident.

I am more concerned with my music systems than HT since most movies don't really have lots of dynamic range. I use a $250 Monster conditioner/surge protector (cheaper models work just as well - this one has an AC meter and allows rack mounting) with the HT system for most components and plug the receiver directly into the wall using a shielded aftermarket power cord.

rw

recoveryone
01-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm with Nodd on this one, unless you got two monkeys and rabbit running on a wheel to genarate power for you I don't see the real need to spend over $100. The jury is still out on any real improvements on using these items. Unlike with a computer having a backup power unit can help, but a power conditioner its more of a peace of mind thing. by all means get one, I just don't see spending that much.

topspeed
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I dunno if you'll be able to hear a difference, but if your power is dirty, there's a good chance you'll see the difference on your monitor. You'll notice a cleaner picture with less snow and/or artifacts. Understand, there is a big difference between a surge suppressor, a power conditioner, and a power regenerator. You should have, at minimum, a surge suppressor/spike protector.

Here is a great article ( http://psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp) on the differences. It is written by Paul McGowan of PS Audio, arguably the innovator of power regenerators and the like.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy C
01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
...I simply wanted a central plug-in for all my stuff. No, there were no sonic benefits, but a certain degree of peace of mind - even if unfounded :*)

As a matter of fact, one dealer told me to NOT use the "conditioner" with my amp... like it's robbing something. I can't see/hear that either. If the cost is justified by "cool, blue L.E.D.s", go for it! I have to admit... the pic "Feanor" linked looks a Hell of a lot better than my Rotel! My boxes are s l o w l y turning silver, instead of black.

Demo (generic answer) if you can...

gjpham
01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
I appreciate ev1 of you for sharing your thoughts with me. To sum it up, my system is just an entry level and currently plugged in an inexpensive set of surge protection, paid approximately $40 or $70 (I really doubt it will give me some kind of “surge” or protection when lightings really strike it). So, I should probably save the $500 and add it on my long time wish list, an OutLaw amp model 7500. With 200w x 5 channels, I def WILL hear the diff and that would probably be a wiser spent, in my case of course. Thanks all, again.

Glen B
01-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I appreciate ev1 of you for sharing your thoughts with me. To sum it up, my system is just an entry level and currently plugged in an inexpensive set of surge protection, paid approximately $40 or $70 (I really doubt it will give me some kind of “surge” or protection when lightings really strike it). So, I should probably save the $500 and add it on my long time wish list, an OutLaw amp model 7500. With 200w x 5 channels, I def WILL hear the diff and that would probably be a wiser spent, in my case of course. Thanks all, again.

At minimum you need surge protection that will take repeated hits without failure but not cost an arm and leg. Look at the Furman PL-8 Series II which can be had for under $200.

http://www.furmansound.com/products/pro/pwr_cond_seq/cond/_15a/pl8_2.php

PeruvianSkies
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I currently use two of the Belkin PureAV PF60s that are pictured below and they work phenomenally! I use one for all my video components and the other for all my audio components and have had great success. Elimination of all noise and the high-current output for my amps really give them the steady juice they need. They are also connected to the PS Audio wall outlet, which has also added a huge improvement in the overall stability of my gear. This is all to say that I do not believe that any power conditioner is going to make a decent speaker sound like a great speaker or a good amp sound like a superb amp, but it will enable you to maximize your gear to it's greatest potential.

kelsci
01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
My brother bought some kind of monster unit for about $140 that usually went for about $200. We both heard sigficant improvements on his Marantz SR5400 receiver. The rise in volume was more "linear". The clarity of the audio seemed to sound like .009% than .09%. The sound was sweeter with more detail and better imaging so if defintely improved the surround field.

blackraven
01-22-2007, 11:59 PM
I use a Cyberpower 1030HT unit with EMF and RF filters rated at 6000J with amp and voltage led's for $70, It has 10 outlets and cable coaxial jacks. Has lifetime $400,000 warranty. Save your money and don't spend more than $100. There's no proof that you get any better sound.

recoveryone
02-05-2007, 09:55 AM
I know this post has been dead for a few weeks, but I had to call Furman Inc. for some information about an old EQ. I asked the guy about their power conditioner and the real need of them. He went on to say that if you live in a rual area or old building (like in New York, Boston and San Fran type city that has very old wiring a power conditioner would be a major plus and could save your equipment in the long run. As for sound inprovement it was in the ear of each person (some mental and some real) improvements, base on what the condition of the previous power source and distance that the lines are ran.

Just incase your not familier with the Furman line, they have the highend conditioners made more for concert, churches and other theater setups. They do now have power conditioner for HT (and they do look nice) , there not cheap either!

Fergymunster
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm plaining to spend $500 for this device and have no idea how much it will improve my system. Will I be able to hear/see any differences or am I throwing $500 out the window for something unnecessary?
I'm looking at this particular Panamax 5400-ex for $500 at Etronics.com. I want this one because it fits my pocket and because of its cool blue LEDs which perfectly matched wtih my HK AVR435. ($600). The rest of my system is a $3,000 TV 65" WD-65732 and $300 DVD player Elite DV-46av. A very simple set up.
THanks in advance.

Additional Q: Is my rating correctly?
1st, Furman brand.
2nd, Panamax brand.
3rd, APC brand .
APC H15 power condtioner.Bought one recently.Outstanding! $349