100$ or less subs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 100$ or less subs

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I found a Yamaha YST-SW015 sub and I'am looking for the lowest prices subs like $100 or less.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
I even found the Jensen powered sub for $67. Model JS650. I would like the lowest priced subs.

emorphien
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Ohhh Lawwwd, that we would be blessed with another SVI thread so soonly, thank theeeee

order that 10" sub from parts express... here we go
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-633

I don't know how that compares to its predecessor, but I recommended the old version to a friend 2 or 3 years ago and he loves it and it still works without trouble.

or you could get the 8" version:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-631

I realize you won't pay attention to either suggestion.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Ok guys this time I am serious I need a sub that is lowest I can get.

basite
01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
a real sub, under $100

you must be kidding, right?
cheapest you can go is (new) DIY, or used, but really, even then, 100? do you expect that a sub from that 'price class' can even produce sounds lower as the noise your speakers make?

seriously,
save on, then come back.

Greetings,
Bert.

emorphien
01-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Ok guys this time I am serious I need a sub that is lowest I can get.
you have my suggestions. Those are the cheapest subs I have anything close to experience with and can say will actually give you some decent bass without too much of a midbass hump (a lot of cheap subs get excited around 80-120Hz).

good luck mr takebayashi

personally, if you have $100 to spend on a sub, you would have been better off (except for extreme low frequencies) to consider combining that with your original speaker budget and end up getting better speakers.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok how about this what's the cheapest sub I can get that is a little better than my JBL SUB135?

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
The speakers I will be using is the JBL HLS410 so I need the cheapest sub I can get for those speakers please.

basite
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
erm, why don't you just use the jbl?
since you won't accept anything else then jbl,
so,
and why buy a new one when you already have one,
you're going to do the same thing as before, you have something, and you buy the same in a different package.

try to remember stuff that we tell you...

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:42 AM
So if I want to get a sub that is around $100 is my sub alot better than other $100 subs. Remember that I will be adding a sub to my JBL HLS410.

emorphien
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
So if I want to get a sub that is around $100 is my sub alot better than other $100 subs. Remember that I will be adding a sub to my JBL HLS410.
You missed the point. Are you having a problem with your JBL? If not, then don't spend money because you won't be able to gain enough by just spending around $100. If you had at least $200 to spend then I'd say it may be worth it.

put simply, $100 doesn't buy you enough subwoofer to be worth spending the money when you already have a $100 subwoofer... even if you could buy a new one that was a tiny bit better (which I'm sure you can). Save your money so you can really buy something that is superior to what you have. If you WERE going to buy something at the $100ish price point, the suggestions i made would be your best bet IMO.

noddin0ff
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I believe emorphien gave you the best advice given your budget. And he made this insightful comment as well.

I realize you won't pay attention to either suggestion.

N. Abstentia
01-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe you should take that $100 and buy a clue?

markw
01-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I believe emorphien gave you the best advice given your budget. And he made this insightful comment as well.Now, if you persist in whining about this, you'll open yourself to more abuse and ridicule.

But, then again, some of us don't think you really post here for audio advice anyway.

basite
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
So if I want to get a sub that is around $100 is my sub alot better than other $100 subs.

no, it's about the same, $100 subs are crap, and your jbl isn't alot better, it's the same as the $100 subs,

answer this: Why buy new things that aren't better than the things you have now?

do you like the jbl sub's sound? if yes, then that's great for you, then don't waste money on buying another one that's the same. if you don't like it, then why did you buy it in the first place?

Remember that I will be adding a sub to my JBL HLS410.

so?

do you expect me to say: "OoOh, that sub might not be good enough for those speakers"
well, big suprise, it isn't. both aren't really good,

you have a sub, you don't need a better one because you don't want to pay for a better one. if you really want to buy a new sub for $100, you'll end up with the same sub, only it looks different, and you still lose money. on crap.

think before you say.
Bert.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:55 AM
How about the Yamaha YST-SW216? This sub is $150 and is this sub better than my JBL SUB135?

emorphien
01-22-2007, 09:58 AM
How about the Yamaha YST-SW216? This sub is $150 and is this sub better than my JBL SUB135?
die in a fire man... die in a fire.

That or ESTABLISH a BUDGET. Is it $100 or $150 or $200 or what? And then LISTEN TO US. There are much better sub choices than Yamaha.

I swear, I wouldn't be here if this wasn't more fun than studying right now :lol:

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's the specs for this sub.

Yamaha YST-SW216

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200519&CTID=5003300

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
What's the best sub I can get for $150???

emorphien
01-22-2007, 10:11 AM
take that $150 and go get yourself some therapy

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok it seems like you guys are saying that $150 is still not better than my sub so how much do I have to pay to get a little better sub the my JBL SUB135? What's the cheapest sub I can get the is better than my current one?

basite
01-22-2007, 10:23 AM
we don't live in a imagined world where the difference between $100 and $150 is enourmous...

WRONG

It isn't, going from a $100 sub to a $150 sub isn't going to make any audible difference for you. going from a $100 sub to a $500 sub will.

think about that.

keep the jbl, use it, save on (not just $50 on) and buy something new that really makes a difference later,
LATER, NOT NOW.

keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
It takes $200+ for a halfway decent subwoofer these days (if you order internet direct). You'd still be better off just spending all this money and the money for your speakers on one single pair of speakers and get rid of the crappy sub entirely.

In reality, your best course of action would be to save it and learn about audio before spending any more money.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Well in that case will getting a $250 or higher speakers will be better or just get the $250 or higher sub be best?

basite
01-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok it seems like you guys are saying that $150 is still not better than my sub so how much do I have to pay to get a little better sub the my JBL SUB135? What's the cheapest sub I can get the is better than my current one?

now, the "better" you'll get with what you can possebly pay is best explained as this,

(the "1" and the "1000000" are representing the sound quality)
"1" being where you are now (crap-phase) and 1000000 is the best of the best (The audio nirvana)

the difference you'll get buying a new sub in the price range you're saying is this: from 1 to 1,
really much eh?
maybe (read very exclusively rare) you'll go from 1 to 1,000000000000000000000001

and no, that's not something very high,
it's a waste of money

emorphien
01-22-2007, 10:29 AM
were you home schooled Spanking?

and basite, you're confusing me. Do you think SVI has a chance?

basite
01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
and basite, you're confusing me. Do you think SVI has a chance?

nah, not really (read as: not at all)
doing what he's doing now, he doesn't have any chance on earth.

the only moment where he will might have a real chance is when he gets really really rich and that his therapist happens to know alot about audio stuff...
and even then, chances are quite small because, probably, spanky won't listen at all.

and the getting rich part is even more difficult, it's like winning the lottery, it never happens to you.:cornut:

(by which I mean that he absolutely doesn't have any chances at all)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
are we on the same page, I should have clarified that I was wondering if you think he has a chance of understanding you :)

noddin0ff
01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
My opinion...if you spend more than $200 you'll have a sub that will outclass your speakers. What you need to ask yourself is do you want thumping base or good audio reproduction.

If you want bass, I'd go to the PartsExpress Subwoofer page (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=25&ObjectGroup_ID=620) and get the best sub you can afford.

This one (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635) looks pretty reasonable for the price.

If you really really care to get into a good sub the cheapest you can go for a serious sub (i.e. one that actually starts to be musical and make real bass) the best you can do new is a kit like this one (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760). But now you're over $300.

If you actually cared about the quality of the music you listen to you would save all your money for a while until you are in the $300 range. Then you'd look into better bookshelf speakers...

But despite your protestations to the contrary, if you actually cared you would listen to the advice given.

basite
01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
are we on the same page, I should have clarified that I was wondering if you think he has a chance of understanding you :)

ooh, sorry, didn't get it,

and no, there is no chance at all that SVI will understand my replies, but who cares?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

blackraven
01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Save your money and buy new speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
But if you insist on a new sub check out the Mirage Omni S8. Its a very nice sounding sub for the money.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Well I was asking is that if I get a sub that is at least $250 will it be better than my sub? Or do you guys think that getting a new pair of speakers for $250 will be better? But wait you guys told me that the sub in parts express is good even its $150. I can't remember but I think it was a 10in or 12in sub.

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
So the Mirage Omni S8 is the upgraded version of my JBL SUB135? Is there any good subs for $250?

N. Abstentia
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Did your mother have any children that lived?

markw
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
So the Mirage Omni S8 is the upgraded version of my JBL SUB135? Is there any good subs for $250?...and unable to comprehend what's being said.

You're just confirming my belief that you just want to play with strangers since playing with yourself is getting monotonous.

anamorphic96
01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes the Mirage Omni S8 is far superior to the JBL you have. Get the Mirage if you can.

noddin0ff
01-22-2007, 12:01 PM
But wait you guys told me that the sub in parts express is good even its $150. I can't remember but I think it was a 10in or 12in sub.

No, we suggested that it was likely the best you could do if you were limited to $150. That does not mean it is 'good'. In the $150 range it's pretty good. Compared to a good $300 sub it likely sucks.

At least you're talking $250 range now. You're in a range where you might hear real improvements in quality. The more you save the more noticible the improvement can be.

$250 will buy you better speakers or better sub. Which would you rather have? Since you've claimed to hear above 20kHz (or so I remember) you might prefer better speakers. But if you'd rather annoy your parents, go for the sub.

Think about your audio goals in real definable terms. Not vague terms like 'better' or 'best'. You could even try describing the kind of music you listen to. If you listen to harps and chamber music, you don't need a sub as a priority. If you listen to vocals primarily you don't need a sub. Most instruments don't really play below 40Hz. If you want more bang and thump and that's your priority then you want a sub. If you want the magazine cut outs of your ideal boys on the wall to shake and shimmy, then get an oscillating room fan.

This oughta be fun...

anamorphic96
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
You know what. I have an Energy S8.3 which is the same sub as the Mirage. I will sell it to you with all shipping paid for 250. The sub is in pristine condition and has not been used for more than a few hours.

http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-page.php?id=40

emorphien
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Did you never buy new speakers like you wanted to in your other thread?

Florian
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Dear Moderating team and site owner. Can we please bann this spammer? There is not one single thread that shows any credibility or intelligence. This is Spam!

SlumpBuster
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
There is not one single thread that shows any credibility or intelligence.

If credibility and intelligence are a prerequisite, then I'm in jeapordy, too. I get no respect I tell ya.

While there is merit to what your saying (my favorite SVI quote of recent was "What is a 'troll'? I asked my friends and no one knows what a 'troll' is. I hope its not bad."), I think that there can still be opportunities for newbies to learn.

For example, there might be some other poor bastard with only a $100 and in need of a sub. Because of many of the exotic systems on this board, he doesn't want to look like a douche by asking "What is a good $100 sub," so he doesn't ask and ends up with a crappy Jensen and doesn't even know about the Dayton sub. IMNSHO, the Dayton will best the Jensen any day. Well, now the board has a $100 sub thread that says "Get the Dayton." That's a good thing. It doesn't matter that the original poster is a goofball troll.

Dusty Chalk
01-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Dude -- you are a prime candidate for headphones. The price range you are talking about won't get you quality speakers. Go get some headphones.

audio_dude
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
WAIT GUYS!!! ok, lets decide for him a bit, since he enjoys doing it to us...

he's got $250 to buy some speakers.
We don't know what kind of music he listens to, but i'll asume pop/electro stuff (trust me, its what he listens to)

now, how about those new paradigm atom-monitors? they sound look mighty nice, i've talked to a few dealers and they say the sound is a bit different, but still keeps the basic paradigm sound there.

any other suggestions?

maybe, juuuust maybe, we can get SVI to go to an actual speaker store and LISTEN/AUDITION some speakers...

NOTE TO SVI: DUDE, you don't ASK PEOPLE TO CHOOSE SPEAKERS FOR YOU, why don't you look up a hifi store in the phonebook or something, and go to them and talk to one of the sales reps, bring some CDs, tell them your budget, LISTEN!!!

(oh, and do I see a pattern here? he asks a question, gets a perfect answer, then replys begging for help and saying hes "serious")

(Oh, and for headphones, why not look into a pair of Grado SR-60's? easy to drive, and he'll love the fullrange sound!)

Florian
01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I really want that this forum is an open door to all hobbyist in all price ranges. But this SVI is just pure idiocy in a compact litterbox.

-Flo

SpankingVanillaice
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Well actualy I listen to allkinds of music but I don't listen to country and oldies. The type of music I listen to most is Alternative rock, Jazz and smooth Jazz, Pop, Techno and some rap like Usher or Little Jon. I do even listen to Heavy Metal sometimes.

N. Abstentia
01-22-2007, 08:27 PM
now, how about those new paradigm atom-monitors? they sound look mighty nice, i've talked to a few dealers and they say the sound is a bit different, but still keeps the basic paradigm sound there.

Please NO. If this nimrod goes and buys some Paradigm speakers, then I'll be forced to haul every Paradigm speaker I own to the dump. I'm already having trouble trying to erase the images of gay dinosaurs frolicking in the cottonwood forest as it is.

This fool needs to stick with the $49 flea market speakers, they are designed with him in mind.

N. Abstentia
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/images/Image14.jpg

noddin0ff
01-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Aw, man! Now I got coffee snarf spray all over my moniter!

Dusty Chalk
01-23-2007, 07:23 AM
You know, if it was just coffee spray, it would have been alright, but since it went out through the nose, you know that makes it sticky and harder to clean up...

I thought the Village People cap was a nice touch. Well played, sir.

basite
01-23-2007, 07:42 AM

now that made me laugh!

why don't we make every SVI thread a random-talk thread?

he doesn't listen and if he does, he'll never get it, so...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Dusty Chalk
01-23-2007, 08:12 AM
You mean we don't?

Here is the actor who played the bear in ForAut's avatar (and his two bodyguards) between takes:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/avatarz3/IJsberen.jpg

markw
01-23-2007, 08:32 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/images/Image14.jpgthis just might be the post of the year.

If nothing else, at least SVI inspires us to greater heights of snarkiness.

basite
01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
You mean we don't?

Here is the actor who played the bear in ForAut's avatar (and his two bodyguards) between takes:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/avatarz3/IJsberen.jpg

actor?!
I knew I'd seen him before...

I do want to see the look on SVI's face when he sees the "updated" version of his signature pic...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
01-23-2007, 09:21 AM

That is outstanding and will take some beating.:) Just wasted a bottle of Budweiser Budvar. Foam everywhere, man.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Florian
01-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep that pic is GOLD :cornut:

topspeed
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
That there be damn fine work!

Well played, NA!

Flo,

The German in you is coming out again. Relax. Have a few shots of Jaeger and enjoy SVI's threads for what they are: Pure entertainment. We already banned Lex and are running perilously short of crackpots as it is.

This site needs SVI.

Florian
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Haha, i will try to keep my German inside me ;-) I like SVI too, but man is he stupid. I mean, not even a movie character can be so dumb. He is really really dumb, and he doesnt even get it. LOL

audio_dude
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
guys, he actually made a post that wasn't totally pointless!

he told us what music he likes!

audio_dude
01-23-2007, 07:44 PM
holy crap! its been hours, and not a single other post!!!

you guys must be nuts! this is solid entertainment... or is the fact that SVI did something right make it not funny anymore?

(guys, i think we hurt his feelings... I can feel another "elitist jerks" thread coming on...)

JohnMichael
01-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Priceless! I love the leather collar. It reminds me of.....oh never mind.

Florian if we had deleted this thread we would have missed this incredible post.

noddin0ff
01-24-2007, 10:01 AM
guys, he actually made a post that wasn't totally pointless!

he told us what music he likes!

One small step for a normal person, one giant leap for SVI! I don't think he needs a subwoofer...

basite
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't think he needs a subwoofer...

nope, the only thing he needs now is a therapist, and some real speakers, instead of the crappy ones he haves now...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

N. Abstentia
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Priceless! I love the leather collar. It reminds me of.....oh never mind.

Florian if we had deleted this thread we would have missed this incredible post.

Thanks, but I feel all dirty now. Oh well! :ciappa:

audio_dude
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
lmao!

yeah, no sub, better speakers... maybe someday, he'll visit a hi-fi shop, and...all our advice will suddenly hit him all at once...

thekid
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
SVI

If you were serious you might try this one
Sony SA-WX700

Otherwise enjoy the free art this thread has provided you.......... :)

audio_dude
01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
dude, sony subs suck... end of story.

N. Abstentia
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
SVI likes things that suck.

ZZZINNNNGGG!!!

thekid
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
dude, sony subs suck... end of story.

Insightful comment-your moniker shows your stripes but at least it provided NA with some material.

emorphien
01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Well... he's right. Those subs do kinda suck. You could do a lot better for your money.

edit: SVI has found AVSforum!

audio_dude
01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
yeah, I heard a sony sub once, it was an 8inch one, sounded like sh!t... (no offence to sony enthusiasts)

Florian
01-27-2007, 04:31 AM
I am upset! There is only one real elitist jerk on this site and its ME. Damn it, dont anyone steal my title :incazzato:

By the way....Sony subs are not subs. They are midbass noise boxes

basite
01-27-2007, 05:01 AM
By the way....Sony subs are not subs. They are midbass noise boxes

:)

don't know the sony's real specs,
but I bet my speakers go lower...:ihih:

edit: SVI has found AVSforum!
god bless them...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
01-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Hello Bert,

you should visit me someday. 20Hz should not be heard, it should move your floorboards tough ;-) I can demonstrate this with one of my 8Hz tones. Its a very weird sensation. Cant be described in a other word then "mystery" ;-)

basite
01-27-2007, 05:53 AM
well, during some retests, it seemed that you didn't really hear it, it more was the noise on the mp3 file, and other unknown sounds...
besides that, some things started to shake, things shook harder with higher freqs, like 40 hz, and 63 hz and up, I don't do those tests very much though...

I do hear that frequencies in the 70 hz area play a little louder than other frequencies...
and that frequencies in the 200hz area are quieter than the other frequencies...
but i'm happy, they have never did anything wrong, they never ratteled, and play really mighty in the lower frequencies, the ones that they reach at least...

If I ever get the chance of visiting you, I'll surely do...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

thekid
01-27-2007, 06:05 AM
yeah, I heard a sony sub once, it was an 8inch one, sounded like sh!t... (no offence to sony enthusiasts)

And that was my only point-
You make a pejorative comment based on your opinion of equipment not mentioned but only the manufacturer.

A common practice among those accused of being "elitist".

Nothing wrong with an opinion but they are most useful here when based on actual use of the equipment mentioned. But as I said I at least appreciate that you are forthright in where you are coming from. The "elitist" most despised is the one who fails to recognize they are an "elitist".

Flo- don't worry I am sure that among many of your fans here you are still #1..... :)
BTW-Those frequencies you mention are quite impressive-must come in handy during whale mating season...... :)

For those of you besides SVI who were attracted to the thread's title here are the specs to the sub I mentioned;

Frequency Reponse 20 Hz - 200 kHz
Impedance 3 ohm
Subwoofer Power 250 Watt
Woofer Size 10"

For the price paid ($99 after a $100 rebate) it makes a pretty good addition (see the reviews on this forum) to the low-mid budget set-up but as you can tell it is not well recieved among the "elitist" because of it's association with Sony who have admittedly produced poor subs (muddy/boomy) in the past.

emorphien
01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Frequency Reponse 20 Hz - 200 kHz
Impedance 3 ohm
Subwoofer Power 250 Watt
Woofer Size 10"

For the price paid ($99 after a $100 rebate) it makes a pretty good addition (see the reviews on this forum) to the low-mid budget set-up but as you can tell it is not well recieved among the "elitist" because of it's association with Sony who have admittedly produced poor subs (muddy/boomy) in the past.
Nothing indicates that it isn't muddy or boomy, since its design seems similar to others which were. Also that 250 watts isn't qualified as RMS or peak, and 20-200 (I'm hoping that's Hz, not KHz) could be a +/- 10db unless otherwise specified.

audio_dude
01-27-2007, 08:57 AM
yeah, 20hz is total BS... wait, did you say 200 KHz?? wtf?

once upon a time, before you came to this forum, there was a post by some disgruntled member because he didn't get the answer he wanted to his question, so he called us all "elitist jerks", thats where the reference comes from...

(oh, and even with my modest system, I wouldn't dream of putting a sony sub in there...)

Sony makes a few good things, one being TV's, their tube TVs were the best you could possibly get a few years back, now they've moved to plasma and LCD, which they are great at (albeit expensive). They also make very nice high end CD players, even FLO uses one!

E-Stat
01-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I found a Yamaha YST-SW015 sub and I'am looking for the lowest prices subs like $100 or less.
Don't mean to pile on, but I think you need to consider getting a speaker that has a woofer to begin with before you start thinking about adding a sub. The 4" "bass" driver in the HLS410 really is a midrange. According to JBL, it is down 3 db at 75 hz. If you must buy some inexpensive miniature subs, make sure you buy a pair because the relatively high frequencies they contribute are directional.

rw

thekid
01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
yeah, 20hz is total BS... wait, did you say 200 KHz?? wtf?

once upon a time, before you came to this forum, there was a post by some disgruntled member because he didn't get the answer he wanted to his question, so he called us all "elitist jerks", thats where the reference comes from...

(oh, and even with my modest system, I wouldn't dream of putting a sony sub in there...)

Sony makes a few good things, one being TV's, their tube TVs were the best you could possibly get a few years back, now they've moved to plasma and LCD, which they are great at (albeit expensive). They also make very nice high end CD players, even FLO uses one!

Audio- No worries here. I understand the background of the "elitist" history. If anything I am probably on the other end of that when I tend to defend my low-budget choices which are often based more on $ than actual SQ. I think I have a tin ear or at best an average ear and am probably incapable of appreciating half the equipment owned by the members here.

I am not trying to defend Sony or even this sub per say I just think the forum is better served when those of you who are more knowledgeable than the "great unwashed" such as myself would not get lazy and just make a general statement based on the manufacturer even if as you did apologize before hand to owners of Sony products.

I was only trying to address the original question and even if I were capable of speaking in more technical terms or if your response was a bit more comprehensive it would have been lost on SVI and his trolling ways.

E and others I apologize if those specs were copied incorrectly. I just cut and paste from a review site. The specs posted on this site are;

bass-reflex
video-shielded
250-watt digital amp
dual 10" long-throw woofers
frequency response 20-200 Hz
continuously variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover
speaker-level input and output
line-level input and output

I am not saying the specs above make this a great sub I was only trying to point out that it was not the 8" inch sub that was referenced as sounding like sh**. IMO this sub works well for my HT needs which is in a fairly small room and relatively low volumes.

emorphien
01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm assuming one of those woofers is a passive radiator and unfortunately it still doesn't tell you what the actual output is at those frequencies.

At the $100ish price point, the only thing I can suggest is the Parts Express Dayton subs.

Florian
01-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Hello kid,

please understand that even if they do play a 20Hz tone, there is absolutly no way in this world that you will feel it. Absolutly ZERO! The subwoofers in my system for instance play flat to 6.5Hz and are an extreme but those subs are 3.2ft by 3.2ft by 2ft and weigh about 880lbs a piece! That will easily get you 20Hz with all the rummble and grunt you need.

If your looking for a good subwoofer that will do 25Hz clean and drop off after that (and dont think its easy to get 25Hz clean) then look into SVS, Velodynes and others. Even a 4K subwoofer doesnt qualify as an Elitist Jerk. But quoting 20Hz subwoofers from Sony for 200$ is simply moronic!

audio_dude
01-27-2007, 06:49 PM
yay, defended by flo!

yeah, sorry the kid, no hard feelings.
SVI is an idiot plain and simple, just ignore him and have fun with his threads!

audio_dude
01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
this..my friends, is SVI's freaky boyfriend...

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8430/adamcf9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

thekid
01-28-2007, 06:26 AM
yay, defended by flo!

yeah, sorry the kid, no hard feelings.
SVI is an idiot plain and simple, just ignore him and have fun with his threads!

Cool Audio Dude
I appreciate you actually reading and understanding my last post.
Flo-You may try doing that-that is why you remain #1........ :)

audio_dude
01-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Its true, some day i'll venture over to his house, i'll just put my ear to the ground and listen for the 8HTz tone...