Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Domo
01-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I was recording some piano today on my computer mic (surprisingly good quality) and I wanted to record some guitar over it. So I noticed on my amp it has a record-out jack so i plugged a cable into that and the other end into my Microphone jack on my laptop(Toshiba Satellite M35X-S161) .

It didnt work.

So I then plugged my computer mic back into the jack and tried to record.

It didnt work.

Im thinking I blew out the microphone jack when I connected the amp to the computer. Is my assumption correct?

Now, I want to keep recording and I was wondering if I bought a USB mic, would that fix my problem? If so, can you reccommend some quality USB microphones?

This is what audacity looks like when I try to record:

Dusty Chalk
01-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Quite possibly. But first, try turning off your computer for a while. Like overnight a while. If it still doesn't work, you probably blew it. Looks like you have some sort of radical DC offset now, if you can figure out a way to discharge that (while off, touch the two together -- mic input + and - ), and then give your computer a chance to recover (I.E. don't boot up right away), then try it again. But don't do that unless you understand what I'm saying, and you feel comfortable that you know what you're doing. You may have to splice a connector from something -- don't use the one that you were using before, or the one from your mic -- use one from something that you don't care so much about, like a spare cable. Or go to Radio Shack and get one from there.

And yes, a USB mic will fix it, because you are completely bypassing your mic input.

Domo
01-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Quite possibly. But first, try turning off your computer for a while. Like overnight a while. If it still doesn't work, you probably blew it. Looks like you have some sort of radical DC offset now, if you can figure out a way to discharge that (while off, touch the two together -- mic input + and - ), and then give your computer a chance to recover (I.E. don't boot up right away), then try it again. But don't do that unless you understand what I'm saying, and you feel comfortable that you know what you're doing. You may have to splice a connector from something -- don't use the one that you were using before, or the one from your mic -- use one from something that you don't care so much about, like a spare cable. Or go to Radio Shack and get one from there.

And yes, a USB mic will fix it, because you are completely bypassing your mic input.

Thank you!