I fell in love this weekend!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I fell in love this weekend!!!

thepogue
02-12-2004, 02:14 PM
I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon listening too (and falling in love wiff) a set of Martian Logan Odyssey's......My current system has great impact and I was very happy with the sound stage...until now...I'm hoping that within a year I'll pick up a set of ML's I could go on and on...but the fact is that the ML's are just plain magical!! the best I've ever heard...by a long shot...and altough three time thr price of what I now own.....they are worth every penny...whew...I HATE this hobby!!!

bturk667
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon listening too (and falling in love wiff) a set of Martian Logan Odyssey's......My current system has great impact and I was very happy with the sound stage...until now...I'm hoping that within a year I'll pick up a set of ML's I could go on and on...but the fact is that the ML's are just plain magical!! the best I've ever heard...by a long shot...and altough three time thr price of what I now own.....they are worth every penny...whew...I HATE this hobby!!!The fact that there are products out there that push our level of musical enjoyment higher than we thought possible. I love hearing systems that blows apart my percieved notion of what High-End is. Raising my level of musical blish to another level. I just love High-End Audio!

This, however, does not deminish the enjoyment that my own systen gives to me. On the contrary, it makes me appreciate all the more what I have been able to accomplish with my limited resources. I love just sitting in the sweet spot; audio nirvana to me. A great High-End system merely lets me know that I have to know my own limitations; as hard as that might be sometimes. Sure, money buys more, but what I own is not that bad!

I do have one question: If you buy the Martin Logan's one day; will you be happy with the rest of your system?

Woochifer
02-12-2004, 02:40 PM
As much as I've been an audio junkie over the years, I don't think I could ever "fall in love" with an audio component! (Well, at least since puberty I haven't been able to) Oh well, to each their own! The only prob with those MLs is that you can't take 'em anywhere, and they make pretty lousy dining companions. But, they are consistent, don't have a "time of the month," are fine with leaving the seat up, and will never ask you if you think they're fat. Okay, maybe you're onto something...

thepogue
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
i dont hate the hobby

i still love my system

take my posts wiff a big ole grain of salt

i very rarely mean precisely what i say and when i do i let it be known

i post for fun

so here's the down and dirty....

the ML were the best speakers I've ever heard <END point of>the rest is "fluff"

whew

thepogue
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
love is in the eyes of the....i mean "ears" of the....ahhh....well.....you know what i mean :D

Worf101
02-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Where'd you run into these speakers at? See I avoid the high end stores like Tweeters and some of the other boutique stores around here. As I told my son's mum when she moved in. "I won't go lookin' for it, but don't expect me to run from it." In other words... I like my current system and am happy with it, but I know that if I hung around some places that sell gear, sooner or later I'm gonna hear something I just gotta have, and that is not good. Can't drink the liquor if you don't go in the bar, catch me drift.

Da Worfster :p

thepogue
02-13-2004, 08:13 AM
i've done been bitten! i'm snipin ebay as we speak! lol...to be honest I'll be patient and wait for the "big score"...I'll still be droppin' 2 to 3k but i really really enjoyed the ML's....i've alway been of the mind-set that i'll put more into speakers than kinda chase it from there....the amp they were running was a 250wpc Krell but it ran 4k so I'll just have ta stick wiff me "triple nickle" mono blocks @ 400 wpc. I'm quite sure they are not in the same league but i know they'll hold there own. i really would like to hear a set of maggies before i jump....just ta hear the differences...

E-Stat
02-13-2004, 12:29 PM
I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon listening too (and falling in love wiff) a set of Martian Logan Odyssey's...
I was first bitten with the purity and coherence of electrostatics back in 1976 when I first heard JWC's Dayton-Wrights. One year later, I bought my first pair. My problem is that I have a hankering to hear the Soundlabs A-1s or U-1s. I'm afraid I will like them too much. :)

rw

thepogue
02-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I was first bitten with the purity and coherence of electrostatics back in 1976 when I first heard JWC's Dayton-Wrights. One year later, I bought my first pair. My problem is that I have a hankering to hear the Soundlabs A-1s or U-1s. I'm afraid I will like them too much. :)

rw
How 'bout some Maggies? and help would be great. Thanks, Pogue

Jimmy C
02-13-2004, 03:55 PM
...does the soundstaging thing very well, along with transparency and detail. However, I don't think I could ever get used to the disjointed bass. I am very much an advocate of matching the room, music, and all that stuff, but I have never been satisfied with the MLs in no less than 3 different rooms. Good electronics, also - Audio Research, Bryston and tube Mac. I simply can't get used to the bass.

This is one area I enjoyed my audition of Magneplanars... everything gels. I would be willing to sacrifice ultimate bass extension for a coherent sound. Not that the Magpies didn't have their own problems, (they did - to me, anyway) but they didn't draw as much attention to themselves.

Oddly enough, I like the smaller Logans the best - the Aerius, for eg. I mean... Patricia Barber WAS in front of you, hanging in space... very palpable. This in one area I enjoy the Thiel presentation, but that's another story :^)

Uh, oh... it's Valentine's Day eve and Jimmy has no card or rose yet...

E-Stat
02-13-2004, 08:23 PM
How 'bout some Maggies? and help would be great. Thanks, Pogue
The very first planars I heard were a pair of Tympani I-Us driven by Audio Research amplification back in 1974. I even recall what was playing on them - Paul Simon's "Kodachrome". They sounded so different - and far more natural than the box speakers of that era. Before I fell in love with electrostats, I had a pair of MG-IIs circa 1975. They replaced a pair of triamped Braun LV-1020s. I disconnected the midrange and high frequency drivers and used them as actively crossed over powered subs. With a Sonus Blue cartridge, Vestigal arm, Ariston table, VanAlstine FET-5 preamp and Audire amp, I had a pretty decent system at age 18. Anyway, the current 3.6Rs are very nice. The 20.1s, however, are simply wonderful. Their frequency extremes are superior to the Acoustats. They have the best bass response of any planar I've heard (still have not heard the Soundlabs that are said to be better). I will say that I am use to full range planars, be they magnetic or electrostatic. I, too find that the hybrids that use dynamic woofers do not possess the same continuity as do the full range units. Similarly, the ribbon tweeters are indeed very sweet and extended. I heard a very nicely driven pair at Seacliff with Burmester 001 or VPI TNT HR-X / Manley phono front end through a CJ ART II and a pair of Joule Electra Rite of Passage amps. Naturally, Valhalla was used throughout. I could very easily live with a pair of them.

rw

http://home.comcast.net/~ralphwallace/images/audio/20.1.jpg

manek
02-14-2004, 03:25 AM
The ML's are very difficult to drive. So make sure you have an amp worthy of driving them.

If electrostats is what you all are after please listen to Cadence Avita, Cadence Arista, Cadence Arca.

I have friends who own hi-fi stores and who sell ML and Cadence.
I've heard the ML's and I've heard the Cadence and after hearing the both no more than 50 times and more not once have I thought that the ML's are better in any way.

I seriously think you should hear the Cadence. They are something else. Cadence auditions in the US can be arranged by OS Services(us distributor). Go into the webiste, e-mail the guys and fix an audition.

This is for people who like smooth well balanced sound with all the details. Maggie fans may not like them as Cadence are more subtle to the ears. You need your ears to get used to the subtlety so hear them for 45 mins atleast.

Mr Peabody
02-14-2004, 09:06 PM
The ML's are very nice. I don't understand the comparison people make between them and Maggie's, I've heard both and ML's are substantially better sounding. The Maggie's are cheaper though. Both are very different technologies. One simularity is they both need a lot of open room to play in.

The only ML I had issue with the bass was the old Aeries. It sounded like the bass rolled off fairly high. Some other models the bass may not have blended perfectly but I didn't hear a lack of bass. I think my favorite model was the old Requests. Maybe because of the system I heard them on. They were driven by Audio Research with a very capable Wadia CD playback system, man, talking about magic. Vocals made the hair on my neck stand up.

ML's do not give that physical feel that a dynamic speaker has. For that reason I went with dynamic speakers. My listening level is probably a little above average and the physical sensation was part of the listening experience. I have Dynaudio now. I found them to be just as detailed and ML if not more so. I drive them with Krell. Krell & Dyn to me is the ultimate dynamic match. My very close 2nd choice for a system is Audio Research & ML but not for dynamics. It's a toldly different presentation. AR & ML is a system where I wouldn't be so concerned about accuracy or why it does what it does but sit back and enjoy it's performance. It's like you know the chicken breast is better for you but that cheese burger tastes pretty darn good.

manek
02-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Peabody....
Dyn's and krell are definately a killer. good combo. krell has the grunt to power the dyns.

I like the way you think.