follow-up ? can subwoofer damage flat screen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : follow-up ? can subwoofer damage flat screen

The Tahitijack
01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks to Scott's question I'm asking the same question about plasma and lcd flat screens. I've never seen any vibration to the image on plasma or lcd in a store or at my home but we all know the subwoofer can vibrate cabinets, art hung on walls, and other items in the room. Does this have any impact on plasma or lcd flat pannels over time?

recoveryone
01-18-2007, 10:36 AM
you said it yourself, "Time will tell" When most equipment is tested I'm sure they may not include the extreme high volume listener. Displays are tested for visual performace not earthquake prepareness.

SAEA501
01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
To do physical damage to either panel you would have to reach the resonance frequency of that panel. A plasma panel, being a fairly dense piece of glass, is going to have a pretty low resonance, probably below 10 cycles. And to damage the panel the sub would have to able to reproduce that frequency at a very high volume level.

I don't think this is too much of a concern. If you are listening at a high enough volume to damage anything in your house, you need professional help.