Basics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Basics

travelight
01-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Hello Great Gods of the Audio Board..
I have been reading this board for a short while now just to try and learn some stuff and you all seem to be quite knowledgeable and very kind. I come to you seeking advice on building up decent set up. Starting with nothing, really, I just play music through my computer.
I am looking to set up a relativley inexpensive stereo strictly for music, no home theatre or crazy surround sound. I would rather not buy new, just because at the current moment I feel like older, used stuff may suit my needs better. Also, I know it's hard reccomending a set up for someone you don't know (or other specifics) so all I ask is sort of what to stay away from more or less. Or if you have a recommendation that helps too.
Generally, I think I want to look more into the amp/preamp area rather than getting a reciever, but your opinions on things may change my mind. So please, forgive my extreme lack of knowledge, and help me out.
Rob.

bubbagump
01-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Outlaw's two channel receiver has had great reviews and is highly configurable - phono input, analog bass management and even a usb input. If you want to go the separates route later, there are pre-outs. There's nothing available in the two channel catagory that comes close to this at anything remotely close to it's 650 dollar price. Even the high and mighty Stereophile gave it a glowing review. Speakers are something you'll have to decide for yourself about. It's best to check out reviews, narrow your choices and then go listen.

noddin0ff
01-18-2007, 07:53 AM
The first question...Budget?

travelight
01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
thank you so far for the first tip on the outlaw receiver, I will start reading up on it. As for budget, I really don't want to spend over 1,000 dollars at this current moment in life. Thats why I was thinking more about used equipment. I found this on Craigslist, but I had an extremely hard time finding out any information about the setup online. Do any of you have experience with HH Scott equipment? I know on the speaker end of things thats entirely up to what I think sounds best so any other info on amps/pre amps or recievers helps a great deal.
thanks,
Rob

recoveryone
01-18-2007, 10:59 AM
For the budget you just gave you better hop over to ebay or some other online vintage reseller. For two channel music IMHO, I would recommend a tube amp (older Rotel or, McIntosh, ). pre amps is a grab bag of what you are looking for. If you can find a matching set great, but don't let that stop you from getting another brand. I not up on the newer pre amps out there today, but from what you have said about playing music from your computer it may be wise to get one that will allow you to connect your computer (via USB or mini plug) to the pre-amp. This is all in keeping you within your budget.

So if you can pick up an amp and pre-amp under $500 it will give you some room to spend a little more on speakers (you only need 2) and you may do well in looking on ebay for some older speakers (ADVENTS, Boston Acc, Pioneers) that were known for great 2 channel sound. Most speakers today are made with HT in mind.

JoeE SP9
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Find yourself a used Adcom GFA-535 (80 WPC) or 545 (100 WPC) and an Adcom preamp/tuner (GTP-450). They should cost no more than $500 total. Buy some $400 speakers (used if possible) and a $100 CD/DVD player. Do not under any circumstances buy H.H.Scott speakers. They suck big time and you will regret it. Look for some older Advents or KLH's for speakers. Whatever speakers you buy go somewhere and listen to some good ones first and make your choice based on what you like after that. NEVER NEVER buy speakers unless you have listened to them first!
The Adcom gear will last forever and drive just about any load in existence. Adcom tuner/preamps also have remote control! Adcom gear will have a resale value if a year from now you decide you want something else. A mid level Japanese receiver will be worth zip next year!

Good luck with your search for gear.:cool:

PS: Cinder blocks wrapped in black plastic trash bags are the cheapest good speaker stands ever.

icarus
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello Great Gods of the Audio Board..

You have come to the right place, and thanks for playing up to our ego's... keep this up and you'll fit in just fine.

musicman1999
01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
For new gear try this:
Cambridge Audio 340a cd player
Cambridge Audio 340a integrated
JM Labs Chorus 705v

Not sure of u.s. prices,as i am in Canada but you should be able to be close to a grand.Entry level to be sure but a very good place to start,get some decent cables and you are away.

bill

travelight
01-18-2007, 11:50 PM
thank you all for the input, I am starting to research more about everything you guys have suggested. from that last post I forgot to include the link which was: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/263121256.html
that is the set up of HH Scott equipment I was referring to. If any one has information of the company or specifics on the model that really helps me a lot. and again, thank you guys for showing me good ideas of what to look into, it really helps to build a good foundation of information before you hastily buy something i suppose.
thanks again,
Rob

PeruvianSkies
01-19-2007, 12:11 AM
you certainly have come to the right place and building your dream system for music playback is a game of strategy. First, develop a game plan as to what you want to achieve and then figure out how to get there. Seems like you have an idea of what you want in a system, now just a matter of how to get there. As someone else already mentioned a budget is a great thing to start with for several reasons...

The budget will enable you to have parameters on what you are getting because if budget was not a factor you could spend millions of dollars in this hobby. However, that seems unlikely, so starting with a budget enables you to figure out where to begin and where you are going to be able to initial get to. Once you get to that point you can always go further down the road with more funds.

Doing research on brands, setups, etc etc will help tremendously, but you also need to get out there and listen to some systems, speakers, etc and really get a taste of what is available and also customize your setup to the type of listening environment that you want to create. It's also a good thing to test things working together that way you are able to see what combination delivers the best.

As always there are plenty of people on here to assist you, but in the end it's your ears that will be listening to the setup so always make that your final judge.

It's easy to get lost in this hobby and it's easy to make mistakes or have some regrets. Many of us would probably wish we could go back and not make some of the decisions that we did, so always be sure that you are 100% satisfied with what you get and never compromise!

Good luck and Good night.