Getting more bass [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting more bass

iuisthebest19
01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
i have 4 floorstanding speakers hooked up to my jvc rx-d206 reciever and the speakers arent producing very much bass *or atleast up to my standards* i know they can produce more bass because ive tried them on a different receiver....is there anyway i can boost their bass w/o getting a whole new receiver?????

musicman1999
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
You need to give much more info,such as what kind of speakers,more about this JVC,how they are set up,how big is the room..The more info the better.

bill

Mr Peabody
01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
You answered your own question, you said you heard the speakers do better bass driven by a different receiver. So obviously your JVC isn't going to cut it. You could try only one pair of speakers to see if the bass increases. Sometimes receivers put their A/B speakers in series which increases the impedance this could in turn lower the power output. Check again to be sure the speakers are in phase, + red to + red etc. The only other thing you could do is add a sub.

iuisthebest19
01-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Musicman1999-i was given these speakers from my uncle so i dont know a whole lot about them
there are two pairs one are Quart 2--- 4 Ohm 70W rated power handling 100W music power handling 49-32 000 Hz
and the other two are Sonic but i dont know any info about em
The Receiver is a JVC RX-D206 7.1 channel 110W per channel 6 ohms, of 20 Hz with 20 Khz, with 0.8% of harmonic content

Mr Peabody-- i am going to try ur advice and see wut happens...

Woochifer
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
As Musicman suggested, check the setup and make sure that all of your speakers are set to LARGE. Otherwise, the receiver will cut off the lows at 80 Hz and redirect them to the subwoofer output, which will go unused if you don't have a subwoofer in your system.

Another variable is the room and your speaker positioning. When you mention that you tried your speakers with a different receiver, was that in the same room that you use right now or a different room? If that listening occurred in a different room, then that would more likely explain bass discrepancies than the receiver.

Also, if you moved your speakers from the corner to a location along the middle of the front wall, that will also reduce the amount of bass that you hear.

General rules of thumb:

Smaller room = more bass (and more uneven bass)
Larger room = more even bass, but less of it
Midwall speaker placement = least bass reinforcement
Corner speaker placement = most bass reinforcement

recoveryone
01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
maybe he could use an EQ:16: lol.......by using a AVR he needs to check the settings. If he's in one of the DSP/DD/DTS/DPL the tone controls are pre set for that format. But more info is needed to really help this lad.

N. Abstentia
01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Adding a subwoofer is probably the best answer.

PeruvianSkies
01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Here are several ideas...

1. Can you adjust the EQ or the Crossover?
2. Can you adjust the tone? Bass/Treble?
3. Can you adjust speaker size? Sometimes if you choose "large" it will give you more bass.
4. Are you able to place the speakers closer to walls?
5. Do you have any type of acoustic treatment?

iuisthebest19
01-18-2007, 08:16 PM
my speakers are against the walls
i am going to make sure all the wires are in correctly
after theyre all connected correctly i will adjust them to large
i have two subs already but i at least wanna get the most bass outta these speakers cuz i know they can push harder
im gonna see if the other receiver produces more bass and if so ill switch

musicman1999
01-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Sorry not to familiar with any of those speakers,but if you are using 2 subs you are better off letting them do the heavy lifting.Send as much bass to the subs as possible,thats what they are designed to do and what they do best.It will be a lot easier on your reciever as I suspect those 4 ohm speakers are a pretty heavy load for that JVC to drive to high volumn.

bill

PeruvianSkies
01-18-2007, 10:40 PM
If your receiver has PRE OUTS you can always add an external power amp to drive those speakers. Keep us posted on your resolutions.