Pick a song, any song [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pick a song, any song

Davey
02-12-2004, 11:25 AM
One of the last things I listened to and the one kinda stuck in my mind right now is "'I've Seen Your Picture" by Frank Black and the Catholics. Only 2:51 minutes long, but what a great tune. Sounds kind of like something off Beggar's Banquet or Let It Bleed. Kinda slow and bluesy. Very Stonesy with some definite Jagger inflections. But better than anything the Stones themselves had done for many, many blue moons. Great band. Live in the studio, direct to 2-track.

And still the gaze of your faces carried on.....

nobody
02-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Head Tanya Tucker singing Delta Dawn on a jukebox last night. Hadn't heard that one in a long, long time. Figured I'd mention it since I can't remember any mentions of Tanya Tucker on here. Great meloncholy song that somehow uplifts at the same time. Weird that she was only a kid when she first sang this one.

MindGoneHaywire
02-12-2004, 12:50 PM
As I type this I'm listening to the Joe Strummer album & 'Arms Aloft' is playing & I think it's probably the single best track on the album & shares the anthemic quality that you hear on many of the songs on 'London Calling.' And that's a very good quality to have, in my humble motherf*cking opinion.

PPG
02-12-2004, 01:37 PM
"Pop Drone" Cheap Trick (from "Special One"). I recently put this track in MP3 form on a disc along with 82 other mix tracks, have had the disc on shuffle at work the past few days and this track sounds better and better each time it comes up in rotation. Another great one on this disc is "Sweet Love" Gerry Rafferty.

skewiff
02-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Cruel to be Kind-Nick Lowe
I think this maybe the perfect POP song. August '79 nearly 25 years and it still has the magic for me. Love it.
Tony

Slosh
02-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Possum Dixon - "In Her Disco" from some middle-aged, grey-headed, indie-hipster dork's Electric Lights comp :p

Great song and a fantastic comp! I like everything on it 'cept fer "Trout" (like "The Pusher" sample but hate having one's political agenda shouted at me). This thing flows very, very nicely (especially the Vanessa Daou->Cibo Matto->Zazou and Bud->Zap Mama->Vartinna sequence) :)

Ohh, look what's coming up:
Richard Davies
Edith Frost
The Loud Family
Rainer Maria
Lisa Germano
The Aisler Set...

Davey, ya need to pull another one like this outta yer sleeve sometime soon :D

Troy
02-12-2004, 02:10 PM
"Fair Exchange" by Be Bop Deluxe.

Bill Nelson was such a stinkin' glammy guitar god in the early 70s. BBD was like a Roxy Music that rocked. So many changes and shifts of mood. What a cool band.

newtrix1
02-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Many good (great) songs on this 1997 remaster. "Gone!" seems to be sticking in my head right now.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-13-2004, 06:17 AM
Arm's Aloft flat out rocks.

Not only the best song off that album, my favorite song of '03.

The song I'll pick to talk about is off of The Darling Buds great album, Erotica. Actually it's the last two songs from that album, Wave and If, niether has profound lyrics or virtuoso playing, or had any kind of commercial success, they are just pure simple catchy pop songs that are just dripping with energy. I don't think I've ever played this album without repeating these two songs at least two or three songs. I played the album a couple of days back because Stone and I had been talking about it, Wave came on and the volume on my amp went to 11, as it always does, and I repeated those two songs 5 or 6 times, and was out of breath at the end.

Perfect little pop-rock nuggets.

Mark

Mr MidFi
02-13-2004, 08:04 AM
I was listening to the song "Else" from Built to Spill's <i>Keep It Like a Secret</i> earlier today during my AM commute. Wistful, quirky pop-rock with a somewhat jammy finish. The lyrics come a little short of profundity, but the song and (especially) Doug Martsch's evocative vocal get the job done. A good number for comps, as it blends well with a lot of other things (IMHO).

-Jar-
02-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Arm's Aloft flat out rocks.

Not only the best song off that album, my favorite song of '03.

The song I'll pick to talk about is off of The Darling Buds great album, Erotica. Actually it's the last two songs from that album, Wave and If, niether has profound lyrics or virtuoso playing, or had any kind of commercial success, they are just pure simple catchy pop songs that are just dripping with energy. I don't think I've ever played this album without repeating these two songs at least two or three songs. I played the album a couple of days back because Stone and I had been talking about it, Wave came on and the volume on my amp went to 11, as it always does, and I repeated those two songs 5 or 6 times, and was out of breath at the end.

Perfect little pop-rock nuggets.

Mark

wow that's funny cuz "Sure Thing" from that same album has been buzzin in my head recently.. my other favorites from the album are "Long Day in the Universe" and "Gently Fall" the latter being one of the finest shoegaze songs ever.

What a forgotten and underappreciated classic. And to think that bands like Veruca Salt and Letters to Cleo got all the attention for a sound that the Primitives and the Darling Buds basically invented...

-jar

-Jar-
02-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Boo Radleys.. "Barney (...and Me)" from GIANT STEPS.

What a great song. They managed to combine two types of songs I totally love into one.. the song starts off as this jumpy accoustic tune, maybe something the Wedding Present might have done.. and it builds through the song, adding some keyboards, a little electric guitar here and there, until the peak of the song when waves of distorted guitar come crashing in and carry through to the end. Quite a distance from where it started. Definately one of my favorites from GIANT STEPS.

-jar

ps. I love the Edit function..ok, so maybe there are people that don't know who the Weddoes are.

:p

Davey
02-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Possum Dixon - "In Her Disco" from some middle-aged, grey-headed, indie-hipster dork's Electric Lights comp :p

Great song and a fantastic comp! I like everything on it 'cept fer "Trout" (like "The Pusher" sample but hate having one's political agenda shouted at me). This thing flows very, very nicely (especially the Vanessa Daou->Cibo Matto->Zazou and Bud->Zap Mama->Vartinna sequence) :)

Ohh, look what's coming up:
Richard Davies
Edith Frost
The Loud Family
Rainer Maria
Lisa Germano
The Aisler Set...

Davey, ya need to pull another one like this outta yer sleeve sometime soon :D
Thanks, goofball! That was kind of a fun comp. I hadn't heard it for ages because I don't have a copy of the final version, but was just checking a stack of CDRs this morn after seeing your post and found that I do have a copy of the songs before I messed with them, so popped that in and it's a blast. Right now getting kicked in the ass by Sawed Off Metallica T-Shirt. Cool. Love that Vanessa Daou section. No idea how to repeat it, though :)

Hey, where's your cute and loveable avatar, Sloshy? Get with the scene, man! Don't make me have to hack into your account and add one for you. Like I could, anyway ;)

Hey, how bout this one http://members.mailaka.net/davey/sloshy.gif

Davey
02-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Today it's the single from the upcoming new Modest Mouse album. I think it was just released on good old picture sleeve 45 rpm 7" vinyl this week. Float On. Pretty nice. Kind of a Talking Heads vibe.

<i>Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on, alright.</i>

http://www.s87116372.onlinehome.us/Modest%20Mouse%20-%20Float%20On.mp3

Slosh
02-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, where's your cute and loveable avatar, Sloshy? Get with the scene, man! Don't make me have to hack into your account and add one for you. Like I could, anyway ;)

Hey, how bout this one http://members.mailaka.net/davey/sloshy.gif

K.I.S.Slosh is my motto ;) (keep it stupid? sober? no! spathic :D)

A friend finally got me to listen to The Love Below by foisting a CD-R on me. She says it reminds her of Controversy through Sign 'O The Times-era Prince. Hmmm, well maybe but Mr. 3000 doesn't have Prince's vocal range or guitar chops, but I can see the comparison. Enough of that for now. Movin' on to Rae's GYAO&SS

-Jar-
02-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Today it's the single from the upcoming new Modest Mouse album. I think it was just released on good old picture sleeve 45 rpm 7" vinyl this week. Float On. Pretty nice. Kind of a Talking Heads vibe.

<i>Even if things get heavy, we'll all float on, alright.</i>

http://www.s87116372.onlinehome.us/Modest%20Mouse%20-%20Float%20On.mp3

doesn't he end every line with "yea" or "alright" or "right now"

:cool:

Davey
02-13-2004, 10:55 AM
doesn't he end every line with "yea" or "alright" or "right now"
You left out "OK" http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Stone
02-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Gotta go with:

Magnetic Fields - "Papa Was a Rodeo"

How can you go wrong with lyrics like:

It's only fair to tell you now
that I leave early in the morning
and I won't be back till next year
I see that kiss-me pucker forming
but maybe you should plug it with a beer, cuz

Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
I could play a guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand
Home was anywhere with diesel gas - Love was a trucker's hand
Never stuck around long enough for a one night stand
Before you kiss me you should know
Papa was a rodeo

tentoze
02-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Gotta go with:

Magnetic Fields - "Papa Was a Rodeo"

How can you go wrong with lyrics like:

It's only fair to tell you now
that I leave early in the morning
and I won't be back till next year
I see that kiss-me pucker forming
but maybe you should plug it with a beer, cuz

Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
I could play a guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand
Home was anywhere with diesel gas - Love was a trucker's hand
Never stuck around long enough for a one night stand
Before you kiss me you should know
Papa was a rodeo
I got introduced to MF, and more specifically, that song only this summer by Unklebob- we were riding through Death Valley, in August no less. It is INDEED a terrific song.

mad rhetorik
02-13-2004, 11:23 AM
My song for this week is "The Night And The Silent Water," by Opeth. It's a 10-minute track with gorgeous acoustic guitar, awesome metal riffs, clean singing, growling. When that first acoustic interlude came in at 2:30-4:00, I almost shat myself. It's so beautiful.

<b>Morningrise</b> is a killer album.