JRA has to move....please help. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JRA has to move....please help.

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I would like to receive some help if possible. I'll be relocating to a place in Kentucky near Lexington in about a week. Here is what I'm taking. Audio gears, music, PC, clothe, centimental items, and that's it. Boy I'm really glad I didnt purchase Cain & Cain's Abby speakers.... I will be shipping almost everything by FedEx or other similar commercial carrier. Since I drive a VW GTI, I cannot get a trailer to travel 1400 miles.
Any recommendation on cardboard boxes for my records? I have about 700LP and about 50 of them are virtually irreplacable. I will be taking those most precious items with me, along with my TT, tube gears, and CDPs.
Speakers, CDs, and other items will be shipped. Every recommendation will be appreciated. Budget? Not much at all, but I will try to manage as much as possible.

Thanks gang,

SlumpBuster
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds like the DEA may be onto your grow operation? J-Murda: Spittin' the scene one step ahead of the fuzz.

I've been moving around LPs since college. Back when I was broke, in college, and had to fit everything I owed into a crappy hatchback, I had a trick for LPs. I would break up LPs into lots of about 50. Then I would wrap them in double brown paper bags. Tie that up with packing tape and you've got a surprisingly durable brick. Plus, a lot of fifty is small enough to be able to cram into available nooks inside the car.

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Slumpy, I appreciate your post. DEA? Jay dont do that no mo, but I still get buzzed one way or another from time to time.

I thought there was a thread very similar to this about a year ago, but I havent been able to find it. I remember someone posting that there is this one type of box that works perfectly for LPs. Anyone here remember that?

thanks again,

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
So, I was just in a process of taking down my acoustic foam and throwing it away... then I realized that I can use them to pack some of my audio gears and LPs that I will have to ship. That's good and am glad I didnt throw'em away. I guess I gotta just go to stores and see what boxes I can buy. I tried again to search for the thread that talks about the perfect box for shipping LPs. If anyone can recall, I would appreciate your memory. I thought it was Dean Martin, but I'm not sure.

BTW, I just threw away my ol' Marantz Deck into a dumpster. shattered into pieces...... I about threwup. But I digress.

Dusty Chalk
01-18-2007, 02:21 AM
Since I drive a VW GTI, I cannot get a trailer to travel 1400 miles.When my sister moved across country (from DC to CA -- so, quite literally, across the country), she rented a truck and a trailer for the car (I.E., the other way around). Just a thought.

basite
01-18-2007, 09:01 AM
if I lived near you, I probaby would come to help you, but I don't live anywhere near you (in fact, I live on the other side of the world, about 5500 miles away from your place)

Dusty's idea looks like a good one, if you are qualified to drive a truck...

aren't there any AR dudes living near you? :cornut:

Good luck,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks Bastie, I appreciate it. If I could fly ya in, then I would. If I was moving during a warmer season, then I would be moving just the way Dusty suggested. But US is getting hit with snow, so I will need to take some precaution.

I thought I would post and see if anyone here had great quick suggestions, but not a big deal. I will manage, as I have always done so.

Have a great week to all.

JoeE SP9
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Moving is such a traumatic thing. I feel for you. As a military brat I moved more times than I want to think about.
I hope you enjoy your new digs. You will be a lot closer to PA. Come visit listen to some tunes and alter your state of consciousness.:ihih:

nightflier
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
As someone who ships a lot of things, I can tell you this: skip styrofoam popcorn and use bubble wrap instead. It's not very easy to double & triple wrap (you end up with a ball rather than something square-ish), but it's the best insulation I've come across. As for boxes, go to any local department store (Kohls, Target, whatever), and ask for their spare boxes; they usually have tons. You don't want to be buying new boxes at UPS or FedEx - that's probably the highest markup I've ever seen on cardboard. For vinyl, maybe this is from my DJ days, but milk crates always worked. Just line them with thin bubble wrap if you're worried about damaging the sleeves. A single crate usually stores about 120 records, which is still carryable.

And if there is anything that's just too much trouble for you like those Triangle Speakers, just ship them directly to me (just kidding).

jrhymeammo
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you Joe,

It's always nice to have an audio friend like you. I'll be sure to look you up when I get a chance to come around northeast. I would love to listen to music thru your system while sippin on some drinks.

Thank you to NightFlier as well.
I ended up going to an Office Depot and picked up about 12 of 14"x14"x14" boxes. Each one weigh in around 50lbs. I filled 7 of them and still has about 3 to go. I used 12" square acoustic foams on top n bottom and 2 sides for what I hope to be a decent protection. My Triangle? Honestly I would sell my speakers, before I would ditch music. But Hellz No!!!

I got arrows going everywhere, but I dont think handlers will be give a hoot... Hope they all survive.
I packed them in fairly tight, but not too tight... Damn, I'm still waiting on a package from the MusicDirect. It better be here soon.