Okay folks... Is it soup yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Okay folks... Is it soup yet?

Worf101
01-17-2007, 06:24 AM
When to upgrade? I've got mid hi level Onkyo receivers in the crib an 898 and 787 in the living room and bed room. When are we going to go HDMI 1.3? When will be be time to upgrade? I'm running Hidef in the bedroom system but NOT downstairs on the main system. That analog Mitsubishi 35-inch CRT "mankiller" just keeps pluggin' along. When I go 50 LCD then I'l look to upgrade my main receiver. I've not brought a new one in about 4 years.

Da Worfster

GMichael
01-17-2007, 07:43 AM
No soup for you! Come back, one month.

kexodusc
01-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Oddly enough, with all this talk of HDMI 1.3, I think HDMI 1.3 is a non-issue for me in receivers. I'm more likely to run straight from DVD player to TV anyway.
When I see latest Dolby and DTS decoding available on a receiver, after I've commited to buying a BluRay or HD-DVD player, then I'll be in position to buy one. I think I'm just saving myself one stage of upgrading this way.

My current receiver meets all my needs and then some. An upgrade will have to satisfy new needs and be reasonably affordable. That's a few years off by my most generous estimations.

L.J.
01-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Take a look at this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=174774#post174774).

This is my year to upgrade as well. I've been looking at TV's for a couple of weeks now and will pick up a new AVR as well.

Worf101
01-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Take a look at this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=174774#post174774).

This is my year to upgrade as well. I've been looking at TV's for a couple of weeks now and will pick up a new AVR as well.
That was quite the read, answered most of my questions. Have a senso bean on me. You Mr. G.Micheal on the other hand.... :ciappa:

Da Worfster

GMichael
01-18-2007, 06:12 AM
That was quite the read, answered most of my questions. Have a senso bean on me. You Mr. G.Micheal on the other hand.... :ciappa:

Da Worfster

I knew that someone would come along with great advice. All I did was keep you entertained durring the wait.
You're welcome buddy.

recoveryone
01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm with Woo on most of his stance, but the real issue as I found out is maintaining the gear you still have. And at what point do you need to upgrade or get it fix? I brought my TV 5 years ago HD ready, just waiting for the FCC to lower the boom on the TV industry and what did they do nothing!

Awe we will give them more time to change over. Now its more of the developers are to far ahead of the curve than what can be really offered to the public. I just picked up a new AVR which support HDMI 1.2. And now they are talking about 1.3 already. The avarage comsumer is still using RF connection to all these HDTV we all went out and brought over the last few years and thinking that they are watching HD broadcast. To make it worse is the fact many still think they can get DD/DTS...etc sound from analog RCA right and left inputs. The TV industry better wake up soon and educate the masses before they lose more to the internet. Here a example I'll share with you all:

I have a friend that lives in Upland, Ca his house was custom built in the San Antonio heights area. all the homes in this area are worthly of MTV cribs status. He has two family rooms one upstairs and one down stairs off the kitchen. The upstairs one is where we will focus. The room is appx 20x40 he had all the speakers install in the walls (including twin subs) ceiling mounted rears and wall mounted fronts. A very clean apperence. He purchase a 80" ws Mits DLP plasma, all of the components are stored in a custom made HT closet.

Now from watching a few shows/football games on it and listening to the system there is no way he has it connected to take advantage of the ability of this setup. First I saw that he was still using his old Mits AVR (which has to be about 5-6 years old) if not even older so the best he is getting from his sound could not be more than DPL. From the quality of the picture I would have to say he has it connected via RF cable. and I asked him did he had HD and swore yes.! It just pains me to see such a waste of technology. Its very hard to offer an opinion or suggest that there is something wrong when your standing in a $ 3 mil house and he had so called custom builder put it together for him. WHen I go over to house now I don't even want to watch TV on that system. I rather sit downstairs and view his old 50" SDTV 4:3.

evil__betty
01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
He purchase a 80" ws Mits DLP plasma Where'd he get one of those?

recoveryone
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
it was some highend shop in Rancho Cucamonga, CA