JM Labs Chorus 836V [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JM Labs Chorus 836V

dirtbag
01-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Does anyone have or has heard the Focal Chorus 836V or any 800 series speakers?

basite
01-17-2007, 07:09 AM
yes, not really long, it was at a hifi show,
but still, I heard them.

they sound pretty good, they look georgeous too.
also, it could just be me, but I also think that they sound sweeter than the B&W 600 or 700 series, they sound a bit warmer, softer, compared to the b&w's (which tend to be a little more forward in the highs, the 700 series are more forward (a little bright actually) than the 600series)
and the focal's sounded more balanced (If that's the right word)

Hope this helped,
Greetings,
Bert.

Florian
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I heard them twice with electronics from Audio Analogue and Sony ES. Its ok, but nothing special. I would check out the Dalis in that price range.

Cheers

musicman1999
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
I have the previous 800 series and i like them alot.But these new speakers are totally different and seem to be built to a lower price point.I have heard them briefly and they sounded good but i still prefer my cobalts(816s,806s,800s,800s).

bill

BTW I think they look terrible,but to each his own.

emorphien
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I've heard them a few times (primarily the 806V but I also heard the 826V briefly). It is definitely one of the better bookshelf speakers in the <$1000 range depending on what you're looking for in sound. I'd agree with Basite that the 806V sounds more balanced than the 600 series and 705 bookshelf speakers for a comparison. Overall I thought they were a really enjoyable speaker to listen to and I've heard pretty much nothing but good from others who have compared the 800 series to other comparable speakers, whether or not they bought them in the end. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the 800 series (with the grill on) but a lot of other people I showed pictures of them to really thought they looked sharp.

You ought to give them a listen though, just because some of us do or don't like them doesn't mean you should chose them. You should certainly consider B&W (not a fave of mine), Paradigm (also not a fave), Triangle, Axiom, Totem towers (if you're interested in home theater these wouldn't be my first pick but they're among my favorites for music), Dali, Onix Reference (keep hearing good things about these as well), and whatever else others mention.

What will you be using the speakers for and in what kind of configuration? Also what electronics will you be driving them with?

dirtbag
01-17-2007, 08:22 PM
What will you be using the speakers for and in what kind of configuration? Also what electronics will you be driving them with?

I will check out some of the others you guys have mentioned. The choices in stock in Vancouver can be limited.
I have no equipment right now but I want to build a 2 channel system for music only and right now I am leaning towards a McIntosh MC275. Any thoughts on a pre-amp other than Mac? The Mac amp ruins my budget but I don't think I can go wrong with it as a starting point.