Alternate Versions... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Versions...

PeruvianSkies
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
It would seem that today there are endless versions of movies just so you have to re-buy the DVD with the "extended" cut or the "directors cut" or the "unrated cut" etc etc. However, there are some films that actually benefit from alternative versions, uncut, or directors cuts...here are some of my favorites and feel free to add more....

THE ABYSS (Extended Cut) -The LaserDisc and DVD add some seriously new material to a great film that really helps make the entire film more complete.

BRAZIL (Gilliams Directors Cut) -without a doubt the most important cut of this film as it adds almost 1 hour to the film, which entirely changes the films context, nature, and overal storyline.

TERMINATOR 2 (Extended Cut) -the Special Edition DVD adds some new footage making this action film even more relentless.

BLADE RUNNER (European Cut) -one of the more infamous cuts in all of movie-land this is by far the best way to see this Sci-Fi classic.

DANCES WITH WOLVES (Directors Cut) As if the 3 hour version is not lengthy enough the directors cut adds another hour to the film, but in my opinion is a more complete version of the film and makes the film more epic and stronger.

ALIENS QUADRILOGY -all of these films are far superior in their lengthier versions, which add a great deal of character development and plot development.

NIXON (Directors Cut) -this is one of my favorite Oliver Stone films and is incredibly more complete and interesting in it's lengthier cut on DVD, which puts the film at nearly 4 hours!

DONNIE DARKO (Directors Cut) -this version completely fills in some important gaps and interludes to the film making it even more superb and one of the better Science Fiction films of the past 10 years.

AMADEUS (Directors Cut) -adding about 20 minutes to this epic film the directors cut restores some great scenes and if you are like me...you just can't get enough Mozart!

DAS BOOT (Uncut or Directors Cut) this film is about 2 1/2 hours, but in its uncut form it stretches to a marathon length of nearly 5 hours!!! The directors cut is a tad shorter, but both are superior to the shorter version.

HEAVEN'S GATE (original cut) -another film sadly butchered in its shorter version the original cut is almost 4 hours and epic in every sense of the word.

APOCALYPSE NOW (Redux) adds some great new footage and adds some more development that makes this film even greater than it already was.

STRAW DOGS (unrated) this entire film makes little sense in its cut version in order to get the full effect for the outcome.

THE WILD BUNCH (re-release) this is another Peckingpah favorite of mine that couldn't be long enough in my opinion!

ROBOCOP (unrated) this is without a doubt a gruesome film by Paul Verhoeven, but the uncut version is certainly more graphic.

LEON THE PROFESSIONAL (directors/European cut) this also completely changes the relationship of the characters and if you have not seen this cut you are in for a big surprise!!!

Dusty Chalk
01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
I completely agree with Leon/The Professional -- just don't even bother to see the edited version.

Which version is the "European" of Blade Runner? I thought I was familiar with all of the versions of that movie...

eisforelectronic
01-17-2007, 02:54 AM
for a while I thought James Cameron was the king of the director's cut. Aliens director's cut was my first laserdisc purchase and the Abyss tidal wave scene sold me on the laserdisc format.

PeruvianSkies
01-17-2007, 10:55 AM
taken directly from IMDB....this laserdisc is still highly sought after!!!

The European theatrical release (also available on Criterion Laserdisc) is 117 minutes long and more explicit/violent than the original American version, with a few additions/differences from the US release.
Batty kills Tyrell by pushing his thumbs in his eyes, which bleed copiously.
Pris lifts Deckard up by his nostrils when she beats him up.
Deckard shoots Pris a third time; there are also more shots of Pris kicking and screaming when she is shot by Deckard.
Roy is shown while actually pushing the nail through his hand
Deckard and Rachael are seen riding into the sunset

Dusty Chalk
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh, okay, yeah, I have that one.