My Favorite Soundtracks... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Soundtracks...

PeruvianSkies
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
So, here is a quick list of some of my most overplayed soundtracks, what are some of yours????

HIGH FIDELITY -a great soundtrack to a very memorable movie for music-lovers.

MAGNOLIA -a movie that was primarily based on Aimee Mann's songs.

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS -incredibly beautiful film with equally incredibe score.

THE HOURS -Philip Glass' masterpiece

KOYAANISQATSI -early Philip Glass masterpiece

ACROSS 110th STREET -one of the best soul soundtracks.

HEAVEN'S GATE -great collection of Americana and superb orchestration

THE VIRGIN SUICIDES -awesome collection of songs that scream 70's.

EYES WIDE SHUT -Jocelyn Pook's "Naval Officer" track is one of the finest songs put in a film.

GREAT EXPECTATIONS -great sweeping music for this 1998 remake of a classic.

BARRY LYNDON -probably the finest collection of essential classical music around.

Dusty Chalk
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Good calls on Koyaanisqatsi (one of my personal favourite albums of all time) and Virgin Suicides (absolutely superlative set of period songs). The Air soundtrack for Virgin Suicides (separate disk) is quite good, too. I really like it's proggy instrumentalism.

I always liked the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

Some obviously Dusty-oriented additions:

Blade Runner
Legend -- Brian Ferry at the end is inspired
Risky Business -- kind of weird, in that half of the tracks are songs per se by various artists, and the rest of it is soundtracky stuff by Tangerine Dream, yet somehow manages to "work"

jrhymeammo
01-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Didnt you start a very similar thread like 3 months ago? Kinda makes sense to start another one cuz we have alot of good newbies here of late.

How about Fritz the Cat? I cant say that I've seen all of them, but I can say..........FUNKY!!!!!

PeruvianSkies
01-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I do not recall starting a similar thread awhile back, if I did...it wasn't exactly the same.

basite
01-17-2007, 12:17 PM
maybe this is not the best one I know, but it sure is the first to come into my mind, but
Pulp Fiction, that soundtrack (well yeah, soundtrack, you know)

it's alive...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

musicman1999
01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
The Children of Man,The Postman.

bill

SlumpBuster
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Easy... Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Judgment Night from the early nineties still gets regular play (approx.once a year) from me.

Hyfi
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
If you want something to test your house foundation, Stanley Clarke can do that on the soundtrack from Passenger 57. Some real LFE here.

noddin0ff
01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Didnt you start a very similar thread like 3 months ago? Kinda makes sense to start another one cuz we have alot of good newbies here of late.

How about Fritz the Cat? I cant say that I've seen all of them, but I can say..........FUNKY!!!!!

Smokey's thread...Memorable Soundtracks
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20238

Bernd
01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I like these:

"Heat"

"The Cooler"

"Twin Peaks"

"Dr.Zhivago"

Peace

Bernd:16:

nobody
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Not too many really recent ones that have gotten my attention, but here's few I still drag out now and then...

Suburbia
Decline of Western Civilization (part 1)
Both 80s punk ropck movies with some fun hardcore stuff. The Suburbia has some interesting instrumentals from the film score tossed in as well.

Lost Highway
Has some really great instrumental stuff from Angelo Badalamenti and others as well as solid, interesting tracks from David Bowie, Lou Reed, Nine Inch Nails and more. This highway ain't just lost, it's awfully dark out there too. (most Lynch movies have great soundtracks, really)

Who Shot Andy Warhol
Mostly covers of 60s tunes like REM doin' Love is All Around by the Lovin' Spoonful. Nothing amazing, but it just always sounds kinda fresh, quirky and fun to me. A couple new tracks including a good one fromPavement rouind things out.

Natural Born Killers
That Duane Eddy and Patsy Cline share space with Dr. Dre and L7 among others makes this one interesting listen. All mashed together and interspersed with movie dialogue it's a really good document of the movie.

For some retro 80s fun the 200 Cigarettes Soundtrack (although having Harvey Danger's cover instead of the English Beat's Save it for Later is criminal) and the soundtrack to Grosse Point Black are both nice to hear now and then. High Fidelity has some great songs on it too...including Oh! Sweet Nothing from the Velvet Unhderground gets big points for me...great song.

Worf already covered some great ones in the linked thread, like The Harder They Come, Superfly, and Purple rain.

icarus
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Of all the soundtracks I have picked up there are very few that have really "taken my breath away", the only one that really comes to my mind is The Crow

Burn - The Cure
2. Golgotha Tenement Blues - Machines Of Loving Grace
3. Big Empty - Stone Temple Pilots
4. Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails
5. Darkness - Rage Against The Machine
6. Color Me Once - Violent Femmes
7. Ghostrider - Rollins Band
8. Milktoast - Helmet
9. The Badge - Pantera
10. Slip Slide Melting - For Love Not Lisa
11. After The Flesh - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
12. Snakerider - The Jesus And Mary Chain
13. Time Baby III - Medicine
14. It Can't Rain All The Time - Jane Siberry

BarryL
01-22-2007, 06:12 PM
So, here is a quick list of some of my most overplayed soundtracks, what are some of yours????

Blade Runner, and many of the Vangelis soundtracks

FInding Neverland by Jan Kaczmarkek

The Nightmare Before Christmas by Danny Elfman is sheer genius, and Edward Scissorhand is also excellent, but extrememly low key.

There are a few great jazz soundtracks by Mark Isham.

David Benoit's The Stars Fall on Henrietta is great.

icarus
01-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Well being a die hard Nine Inch Nails fan I gotta say that the Natural Born killers soundtrack featuring NIN's song "Burn"... and of course the lost highway soundtrack featuring one of my favourite NIN songs of all time "the Perfect Drug"