Turntable/Preamp questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable/Preamp questions

lakeside70
01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I've got a Stanton Str8-80 turntable. Until today, I was unaware that the turntable had a built in pre-amp. it has switches to switch from phono to line mode. Before i understood this, i bought a pre-amp for the table. Now, i'm wondering if i can still use the external pre-amp by switching the turntable to "phono". can i expect that this would disable the internal pre-amp? If not, then i have to return this sucker, and it got decent reviews for what it is.

Now, understand, I'm using this DJcentric table mainly for just listening....not DJing, so i want the best possible experience and i'll be listening mainly through Grado Headphones.

Any help in understanding all of this would be appreciated.

royphil345
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
I already answered on that other long, confusing thread.... In case you didn't see...

Yes, switching it to "phono" will allow you to use the external phono stage. If it's of decent quality, you should get better sound... A "cheapie"... probably the same or even worse.

I'm really not one to ever, ever rag on other people's equipment so long as they enjoy it... and wouldn't even bring it up except you talked about returning it... But, can you still return it? If so... It's really not the best choice for use as a home hi-fi table. It has one of those short, straight tonearms with the straight headshell that are good for DJ use, scratching and doing "tricks" without skipping the needle... But, the tracking error is higher than with a normal length straight tonearm and angled headshell or S-shaped tonearm. Use of a conical DJ stylus is recommended to avoid record damage. This really limits the sound quality... The AT on the other thread you posted on that Lo-Fi bought seems better suited for a cartridge upgrade / home hi-fi use for about the same price.

lakeside70
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
yeah, i plan to replace the turntable. i've actually had it for a while. but don't have the cash to replace everything at once. it was advised that my first purchase should be a new needle, so i did that. and was pleased. then my receiver farted out on me, so i purchased the Bellari for a compact solution to listen to vinyl through my headphones. i hooked it up last night and as far as definition and great hi's and mid tones....it seems great, and it seems dead silent compared to my old receiver. strangely enough though, the bass is vaguely audible and the soundstage has kind of dissapeared. now, i've also been fiddling with my cartridge positioning and don't know if its quite right....could this dramatically effect these issues?

you needn't worry about dissing the table...i know its not there yet. many have suggested tracking down some classic Thorens tables on Ebay, or for some more cash, a Rega table was suggested.

thanks for your input. and sorry for the redundant question. i'm new in these parts.

peas.

royphil345
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your receiver...

Yeah... Tonearm adjustments... cartridge alignment can make a pretty big difference in sound. Wouldn't know how to align the cartridge with that tonearm. Directions with the table? I suspect the Bellari may not have quite enough output or be optimized to drive headphones properly and that's what happened to your bass. Would probably sound much better as a preamp than a headphone amp.