720 v. 1080 projector. Wait for 1080 prices to fall? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 720 v. 1080 projector. Wait for 1080 prices to fall?

Tahoe Gator
01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Plan to add a projector with drop down screen to a basement family/media room. Going to put a plasma on the wall for now (and for TV during day with windows open), so not in huge rush, but, hey, life is short so sooner is always better. Anyhow, wondering if for the projector, as it will be larger, if 1080 is the way to go and, if so, it is really worth waiting a bit for prices to fall, especially if I've got the plasma (720) for the time being?

edtyct
01-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Since a great part of this game is immediate gratification, anyone who can wait patiently for something that he can afford now either has tremendous discipline or, let's face it, doesn't care enough (grin). Sure, prices for 1080p are falling faster than a piano on an unsuspecting head. Witness the extraordinary Sony SXRD, which now sells for $5000 or less. More bargains will surely follow. But I have personal reservations about the logic of the waiting game. You wait for the prices of your current holy grail to drop. But when they do, a whole new array of features and temptations starts to beckon on the horizon. Now what do you do, wait for them, too? Believe me; they're in the wings. And they will cost a pretty penny until the cycle goes around again.

What makes your plasma satisfactory now, the prospect of supplementing it or its own characteristics? If the thrill of a new projector is slowly eating through your stomach walls, regardless of how well the plasma is doing its job, it's only a matter of time before the call of the grail will become irresistable.

GMichael
01-17-2007, 06:37 AM
That depends on how much "disposable income" you have. Do you also have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player? I don't think anyone is broadcasting in 1080p yet. But if you have an HD player, it sure looks nice!
How big are you looking to go? How much room do you have?

edtyct
01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I'd say that purely on video grounds, a 1080p projector makes a lot of sense on a screen of 80" or more at a distance of 10' or more. On a large screen, the lack of flicker, coupled with the fill factor, is a definite plus. With bad feeds, the large screen and the high native rez may not be able to hide soft images and processing flaws, but the result will probably look tighter than it would from a 720p projector onto a screen of the same size. But you can always limit the amount of soft material that you watch; that's not what projection systems are for. Furthermore, 1080p's elimination of interlacing from 1080i can result in something that, for all intents and purposes, is indistinguishable from 1080p. Not only are HD DVD and Blu-ray affected; so is most broadcast HD.

GMichael
01-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Cool. Sign me up.

Rock789
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I too have been questioning this, although, I also have a 1080P tv in the mix... I found an LDC TV on newegg.com for $1400, and right now that is in the lead, but it is only 42", and thoes 100+" screens are nice ;o)
we shall see... I'm waiting for tax return before I decide...
goodluck with your decision...

Tahoe Gator
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Okay, here is more of the scoop. Basement family room, but ground level and has 6 full size windows. Reasonably sized room (20x20?). Opted to make what could have been a media room into a gym, so plan on this room doubling as media room. Idea was to have a plasma on the wall for regular and daytime viewing and a drop down screen and projector for "movie night", etc. I was thinking of the 50" Panasonic professional 720p plasma (I have the 42" upstairs and love it; plus don't need any audio since have full NAD/Polk/HSU 7.1 system) plus a drop down 90-100" screen and probably the Panasonic 720p projector. I've pre-wired for any and all. Then I found a 63" Philips plasma at Costco that is $500 below lowest I can find on web anywhere, so I started thinking maybe get that and hold off to add the projector setup when 1080 prices come down a bit. One factor: home resale-wise, cannot help but think a ceiling drop down + projector seems more appealing.

Choices:

Option A: get 50" 720p plasma now ($1,800) plus 720p projector ($2,000) on 90-100" screen ($1,000) for about $5k total.

Option B: get 63" 720p plasma now ($4,000) and wait on projector until next year, if ever.

Option C: other

Tahoe Gator
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, just discovered that Philips is increasing their 63" plasma to 1080p and lowering their suggested price to $3,499 in June, meaning probably a $3,000 at Costco and company. Dang, hate knowing that, but now suggests another option...

Option C: projector + screen now, wait on Philips 63" plasma until June

Rock789
01-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Well, just discovered that Philips is increasing their 63" plasma to 1080p and lowering their suggested price to $3,499 in June, meaning probably a $3,000 at Costco and company. Dang, hate knowing that, but now suggests another option...

Option C: projector + screen now, wait on Philips 63" plasma until June

Option C looks good ;o)

if you have blinds on the windows, you can still use the projector, just won't be as good as a dark environment...

I have tested blinds & curtains in my living room to see the feasibility of a "24 hour ready projector"

GMichael
01-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Option C looks good ;o)

if you have blinds on the windows, you can still use the projector, just won't be as good as a dark environment...

I have tested blinds & curtains in my living room to see the feasibility of a "24 hour ready projector"

We use our projectors by day with no problems. But we did make sure that our blinds would block out all light. (Blinds, black out curtains and thermo insulating curtains) The light has no chance of making it in. Even a small amount of light changes everything.

AVMASTER
01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
have you considered option D. ?
rear projection using LCoS or DLP, 1080p , affordable, simple and quick to set-up. Biggest available is from Optoma, at 100" the unit is designed to mount in the wall ( you'll need about 30" of depth). It actually makes more sense to utilize RPTVs in multimedia rooms because of their ability to display the various sources and lighting conditions in such a room.