Verizon TV service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Verizon TV service

BillyB
01-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Verizon's television service.They are pushing it hot and heavy in my area and it's reasonable(of course they will raise the rates once more people are on board).They claim a fully digital program line-up which my current cable company can't match at this point.I know satellite is fully digital but I have a hang-up about liking to have a hard-wired cable direct to my house.They also say they use fiber-optics but I'm pretty sure my cable company also went to that to allow them to provide internet service through the house Coax line.I have TV,Internet,and phone through my cable company so I wouldn't go through the hassle of switching unless there is a performance improvement with the signal.It's not going to be about a couple of bucks either way.The fully digital channels is tempting all by itself but I'm not so sure how user-friendly they are with HD signal.My cable company doesn't charge me for HD channels as you just have to upgrade your box to recieve them.Unsure of other issues such as box rental fees,on demand ordering,etc..

BillyB
01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Verizon's television service.They are pushing it hot and heavy in my area and it's reasonable(of course they will raise the rates once more people are on board).They claim a fully digital program line-up which my current cable company can't match at this point.I know satellite is fully digital but I have a hang-up about liking to have a hard-wired cable direct to my house.They also say they use fiber-optics but I'm pretty sure my cable company also went to that to allow them to provide internet service through the house Coax line.I have TV,Internet,and phone through my cable company so I wouldn't go through the hassle of switching unless there is a performance improvement with the signal.It's not going to be about a couple of bucks either way.The fully digital channels is tempting all by itself but I'm not so sure how user-friendly they are with HD signal.My cable company doesn't charge me for HD channels as you just have to upgrade your box to recieve them.Unsure of other issues such as box rental fees,on demand ordering,etc..

Just spoke with a neighbor who has the Verizon Fios TV service using an HD box and there are some issues with this service.Apparantly they offer less local channels and charge more for the rental of the HD box than my current cable company does.Also just found out that unless they've upgraded their HD boxes Cablevisions(my company)standard HD box is a little bit of a disappointment with channel change lag and No HDMI connection.only DVI and Component video.People seem to be saying it's worth it to pay the $5 extra for their DVR /HD box as it performs better in all aspects and has the HDMI connection.Never had DVR but it sounds like an OK idea as I hate to hook up my new plasma to an HD box and be disappointed by the performance due to the box.I guess I can get an HDMI to DVI adaptor if I decide to go with the non DVR HD box.I'll have to look at them when I go to the cable service center.

Dusty Chalk
01-15-2007, 04:53 AM
It sounds like you're talking about bandwidth. You need FIOS (optical digital) to have sufficient bandwidth for the true HD signals. (I suspect the DVI and component are not completely HD/at a lower res). It seems to make sense. I wouldn't do it unless you are willing to switch to optical, and give up your coax. That said -- we have FIOS where I am, and it is wonderful. The additional bandwidth is worth the price alone (not that we're paying that much -- the basic, speed-limited FIOS service).

BillyB
01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
It sounds like you're talking about bandwidth. You need FIOS (optical digital) to have sufficient bandwidth for the true HD signals. (I suspect the DVI and component are not completely HD/at a lower res). It seems to make sense. I wouldn't do it unless you are willing to switch to optical, and give up your coax. That said -- we have FIOS where I am, and it is wonderful. The additional bandwidth is worth the price alone (not that we're paying that much -- the basic, speed-limited FIOS service).

Not sure if I asked the question right.Verizon is using fiber optics and offers fully digital TV(HD if needed),high speed internet connection, and obviously they always provided phone service.(don't know if the new line they install replaces your existing phone connection too).Cablevision My current cable company offers the same three services and I'm using all 3 services with them as they give you a discount if you do.The biggest difference I noticed is that Verizon says they're fully digital which cablevision is not.I was just wondering if there are any performance issues or advantages with Verizon's service that I may not be aware of.I have multiple TV sets in my house which are obviously all connected to Coax and work great despite the split signal.When you say give up your Coax that confused me.I assume that after Verizon runs the dedicated line into your house your existing Coax inside the house stays functional or you would obviously have to rewire your entire TV system.I can ask Verizon all these questions but it's always nice to get an impartial view first.Obviously Verizon is going to tell me their service is superior to cable or even satellite for that matter..

Dusty Chalk
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeah, sorry, I thought you already had Verizon, so in our case, it wasn't a matter of switching servers, just the hardware.

I'll have to look -- I think it's fiber all the way to the modem (I'm at work right now). I do remember there is some sort of distribution box which for us is just acting as a repeater. The distribution box/repeater is in one room (the basement); the modem is in another (upstairs room).

I'd switch ISPs as well as cable companies if you make the switch. If you aren't willing to do that, I wouldn't blame you, since I'm not answering your questions about video quality, since I have no idea, but we're probably going to have to in the future if the changeover to HD is truly going to happen (that's what they're promising).

ttskyline01
01-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Not sure if I asked the question right.Verizon is using fiber optics and offers fully digital TV(HD if needed),high speed internet connection, and obviously they always provided phone service.(don't know if the new line they install replaces your existing phone connection too).Cablevision My current cable company offers the same three services and I'm using all 3 services with them as they give you a discount if you do.The biggest difference I noticed is that Verizon says they're fully digital which cablevision is not.I was just wondering if there are any performance issues or advantages with Verizon's service that I may not be aware of.I have multiple TV sets in my house which are obviously all connected to Coax and work great despite the split signal.When you say give up your Coax that confused me.I assume that after Verizon runs the dedicated line into your house your existing Coax inside the house stays functional or you would obviously have to rewire your entire TV system.I can ask Verizon all these questions but it's always nice to get an impartial view first.Obviously Verizon is going to tell me their service is superior to cable or even satellite for that matter..

Billy, you dont have to get rid of the coax (RG-6 coax cable that Satellite and Cable TV use) You see I install the Fios here in Dallas, Fort Worth Metroplex and I can tell you the actual fiber goes in side a unit Verizon has made called the ONT or Optical Network Terminal. They will still use the coax for the television and possibly for the internet (it depends on the make and model of the ONT that Verizon may use for the install)

The ONT has electronics that convert the fiber signal into telephone, high speed internet, and television. Pretty much they do the same thing that the cable companies do. Now let me make this clear, the fiber does not go into the house and into your tv.

As far for the set top boxes, the HD on them is great. On both boxes you do get composite, s-video, component and HDMI connections as well as both Optical and Digtal Coax connections for Dolby Digital Surround.

BillyB
01-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Billy, you dont have to get rid of the coax (RG-6 coax cable that Satellite and Cable TV use) You see I install the Fios here in Dallas, Fort Worth Metroplex and I can tell you the actual fiber goes in side a unit Verizon has made called the ONT or Optical Network Terminal. They will still use the coax for the television and possibly for the internet (it depends on the make and model of the ONT that Verizon may use for the install)

The ONT has electronics that convert the fiber signal into telephone, high speed internet, and television. Pretty much they do the same thing that the cable companies do. Now let me make this clear, the fiber does not go into the house and into your tv.

As far for the set top boxes, the HD on them is great. On both boxes you do get composite, s-video, component and HDMI connections as well as both Optical and Digtal Coax connections for Dolby Digital Surround.

Thanks for the reply.I pretty much knew there was no way the coax inside the house became obsolete as it has been the standard wire used for a long time.That would mean basically rewiring every house in america.I actually really like Verizon and their customer service.My conflict of course is I'm already set-up with all 3 services with my existing cable company.I recieve a discount for this package which makes my monthly bill fairly reasonable.I know you guys probably offer similar packages but honestly if the performance is very similar especially in regard to TV signal quality it probably doesn't make much sense to switch.Thanks again.