Bjork? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bjork?

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 07:33 AM
So yesterday I'm out doin' what I do and I stop to pick up some tunes. I grab some Jimmy Rushing All-Stars, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn, Freddie Hubbard and all the usual suspects. So I'm clippin' along and I says to myself, "Hey self, why don't you grab some stuff you normally wouldn't listen to; something out of character-like."...

Long story short I grab that The Decemberists disc "The Crane Wife" that Swishy keeps raving about, grabbed a little "Automatic for the People on DVD-A, a SACD Lee Ann Womack and, last but certainly not least, Bjork.

I believe "Post" is her most recent album, although I could be wrong. The redbook is a fine effort and the surround tracks are better than OK. Great voice, quirky style but you all know that. When I hit the video section I just about lost it. After the synth-driven, neo-industrial stylings of "Army of Me" and "Isobel" is a saucy little number "It's Oh So Quiet". Within the context of the rest of the album it's effin hilarious.

Anyway, as a Bjork-neophite what other titles should I look for?

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I only have a few titles (**). The discography condensed from Wiki is

**Debut (1993)
**Post (1995)
Telegram (1997)
Homogenic (1997)
**Vespertine (2001)
Medulla (2004)

I actually really like Debut. It had the song Human Behavior which has one of the few videos that really impressed me. Good song too. The album has a more club dance indie feel, although to be fair I don’t go to clubs...or dance, so what do I know.

Vespertine, I haven’t listened to in a while. I think it’s more dreamy than Post.

If you ever run across it, look up the single Birthday from the Sugarcube’s album Life's too Good. That's the song that got me into Bjork in the first place.

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can find a copy of Debut around somewhere and that sounds like the logical place to start.

Peace

Swish
01-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Long story short I grab that The Decemberists disc "The Crane Wife" that Swishy keeps raving about, grabbed a little "Automatic for the People on DVD-A, a SACD Lee Ann Womack and, last but certainly not least, Bjork.

I believe "Post" is her most recent album, although I could be wrong. The redbook is a fine effort and the surround tracks are better than OK. Great voice, quirky style but you all know that. When I hit the video section I just about lost it. After the synth-driven, neo-industrial stylings of "Army of Me" and "Isobel" is a saucy little number "It's Oh So Quiet". Within the context of the rest of the album it's effin hilarious.

Anyway, as a Bjork-neophite what other titles should I look for?

...Homogenic and Verpertine. They also happen to be the two that I have, go figure :ihih: . So how do you like The Crane Wife?

Swish

kexodusc
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
She's a talented artist. I have a hard time listening to all but Post from beginning to end but I have all her albums and every one of them has some killer tunes on them. I think "Debut" remains the most popular but hardcore fans dig the later stuff too.

I wonder what genre she falls under? I don't have much of it whatever it is, but I assume she's one of the better ones in recent years.

Think I'll go throw Homogenic on right now as a matter of fact, haven't listened to it in years.

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
So basically I'll just buy the entire Bjork catalog...

I haven't made it to "The Crane Wife" yet. I'm currently making way through "Automatic For The People" and on the schedule later is the Blackhawks/Wild game. Maybe tomorrow, and in any case I shall report back, herr kommandant.

Peace out

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't help you bobert. Just wanted to say I think that crazy chick is kinda hot.
http://www.rupture.net/%7Eoneray/bjork/bjork_bigbun.jpg

but kinda reminds me of....

http://www.dekaino.net/img/dodgeball-fran.jpg

Dusty Chalk
01-15-2007, 03:47 AM
You should eventually get everything she's done, at least all the major studio albums. They're all different, and all brilliant in their own way. They have their own personalities, like children. The cover for Vespertine is perfect -- if I had to pick a predominant colour to which to liken the music on that album, it would be white. Personally, I think Medulla is the best thing she's done in years, but I wouldn't recommend it to a neophyte -- it's just a little too strange. I think Vespertine would be a nice next disk to get by her. Medulla is her most recent, preceded by Vespertine. Telegram is probably the last of her albums to get, as it's a remix album. Heck, even Debut is wonderful.

I love "It's Oh So Quiet" -- it cracks me up, too.

noddin0ff
01-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Oh, and just to help you get started :-)

linky for Birthday (flac) (http://www.mediafire.com/?fzqmzwmzjvo)

nobody
01-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Hard to pick albums with Bjork because she's so consistent with her quality. I would say avoid Medulla, not accessable at all and if you're not already a fan, probably not something you're gonna dig.

If I had to grab say 2, I'd say get Debut and Vespertine. Debut is fairly representative of much of her work and lays the foundation for her sound and Vespertine was when she took a turn down a different road and is much more laid back but may just be my personal favorite of hers.

bobsticks
01-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the input everybody ( thanks for the ear candy noddinOff). Looks like I'll be jumping on the Icelandic express. Without a doubt I'll be grabbing some discs this weekend. Good stuff.