Burn in on an LCD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Burn in on an LCD?

DiscoRage
01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I have an Acer AT3201W LCD display (http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=LCDTelevisions&product=1611018). It's a piece of junk but it's the only HDTV I could afford at the time.

I was under the impression that LCDs don't suffer from burn in. There are now black lines on either side of the screen where the outer edges of a 4x3 picture would be. When I'm watching a 4x3 broadcast I can't see it but when I'm watching a 16x9 broadcast they are quite noticeable, especially on the right side. Neither of these lines go all the way to the top and bottom edges, and they look darkest around the middle. These lines are visible regardless of the source.

I'll try to get some pictures. I can't seem to find my digital camera.

If it makes any difference, I've used this display for DVDs using component cables and an HDMI to DVI cable from a Bell Expressvu receiver and now a Rogers Cable receiver.

Thanks.

DiscoRage
01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
A friend pointed me to this: http://www.jscreenfix.com/

Has anyone tried this program? I'm going to turn it on before I go to bed tonight.

edtyct
01-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Some LCD screens can show something that superficially resembles the burn-in on plasmas, but it doesn't have the same degree of permanence. Rarely does it show up on mainstream LCDs. Yours is actually the first that I've run across, though the possibility of it is well known. Sorry, I don't know the program that you've referenced. I should add that showing a full white or snowy screen, might eliminate the kind of persistence that you've noticed. See if tuning to a channel without any incoming signal for twenty minutes or so does the trick.

DiscoRage
01-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Some LCD screens can show something that superficially resembles the burn-in on plasmas, but it doesn't have the same degree of permanence. Rarely does it show up on mainstream LCDs. Yours is actually the first that I've run across, though the possibility of it is well known. Sorry, I don't know the program that you've referenced. I should add that showing a full white or snowy screen, might eliminate the kind of persistence that you've noticed. See if tuning to a channel without any incoming signal for twenty minutes or so does the trick.

You mean using the regular analog tuner?

I used their DVD version of the program for about 10 hours and it didn't change a thing. I think I might hook my PC up to my screen through it's VGA input and run their java program. On the DVD program, they are large blocks that alternate between colours. The java version looks almost like snow, but coloured.

edtyct
01-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Yes, through the tuner. But your java idea might be worth a try, too.

emorphien
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM
A friend pointed me to this: http://www.jscreenfix.com/

Has anyone tried this program? I'm going to turn it on before I go to bed tonight.
I've fiddled with that for computer screens, should work pretty well I'd imagine. LCDs don't suffer the permanent burn-in but it can take some time to fully get rid of it.

DiscoRage
01-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I've fiddled with that for computer screens, should work pretty well I'd imagine. LCDs don't suffer the permanent burn-in but it can take some time to fully get rid of it.

In your experience, how long?

emorphien
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
In your experience, how long?
Tough question to answer, I'd say for really bad cases I've never personally seen a computer LCD monitor hold an image longer than 30 minutes if it's really been burned in there. Most displays I've seen don't seem to suffer from it at all, it was pretty rare for it to be noticeable on any LCD display I've used.

As far as LCD TVs, no idea. I generally consider them to be more "crude" than computer LCDs in a sense so if anything I'd just make the blind assumption that they're more susceptible to it.