What should I do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I need help on this but If I already have a Pioneer VSX-405 receiver is it the best to buy the JBL HLS610 for upgrade compaired to my HLS410 or should I keep my HLS410 and buy a new Onkyo TX-8222 receiver instead? I guess what I need to know is that will it sound better if I used my $150 to get the HLS610 speakers using my current Pioneer receiver or should I not buy the HLS610 and get the Onkyo TX-8222 receiver instead.

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I really like the HLS series from JBL so I want those and from what I hear the Onkyo TX-8222 receiver is the best for just normal music listening so I am trying to decide what should I do.

aevans
01-13-2007, 03:06 PM
check out the return policy and if you can, try out the onkyo, I think you will like it.

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
So you recommend that I buy the Onkyo TX-8222 receiver and continue to use the HLS410 speakers rather than buying the HLS610 and keep the Pioneer reveiver I already have?

aevans
01-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I recommend you try it, and return it if you don't like it.

anamorphic96
01-13-2007, 03:50 PM
No. See what the return policy is on the Onkyo. If you can return it, then give it a shot and if you like what you hear then keep it. If you don't hear any changes with the Onkyo then return it. Make your own decision based on what you hear.

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
There is one problem both I have to get off the net the the HLS610 are sold on e-bay right now. I know I wont be able to buy them and ruturn them if I dont like them since they are sold by someone on e-bay. The Onkyo TX-8222 receiver is still new and still sold so I can get them online for good price but I just needed to know from you guys about what you think is best I should do.

aevans
01-13-2007, 04:08 PM
if you plan on getting the 610's into your system no matter what, and they are available at a lower cost now than you could ever imagine.. then yeah get them..

but if you are looking for the biggest sound improvement for the $150 now, I think the onkyo is better of the two as you already have similar speakers.

blackraven
01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
If I had to choose on upgrading my speakers or amp, I would choose speakers every time. Speakers play the biggest part in the sound of your sound system. Thats not to say an amplifier isnt important, but if you have a half decent receiver then try new speakers first IMHO. At entry level audio I think money is best spent on your speakers. If the speakers you are looking at are a big improvement in sound then go for it. If not you might want to upgrade your receiver or possibly your CD player which is also an important part of your sound.

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Well which should I do since one of you guys say get the receiver and one says get the speakers but which is more recommended?

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Here's the two speakers specs. I have the HLS410 right now.

HLS410
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=HLS410&CheckProduct=Y

HLS610
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=HLS610&CheckProduct=Y

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
My current receiver is the VSX-405
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/pioneer/a-v-receivers/PRD_118759_2718crx.aspx

Onkyo one is this
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8222&class=Receiver&p=i

SpankingVanillaice
01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I see that someone is selling a pair of the HLS610 that is almost new on Ebay. I am trying to decide if I should buy these and keep my Pioneer receiver VSX-405 or should I not buy these speakers and get the Onkyo receiver I was talking about. Which is a better deal do you guys think??

HLS610
http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-HLS610-AUDIOPHILE-2-WAY-LOUDSPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ300068794637QQihZ020QQcatego ryZ61381QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item300068794637

Lowest price on Onkyo receiver
http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?source=bizrate&id=24551

Carl Reid
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Do you want more bass? If not then get the Onkyo... since the only advantage you are likely to get from getting a step up in the JBL line is slightly more bass....

And what happened to the Sony speakers that you were planning to buy?

Anyway, for the record, I don't think you'll get a great improvement in sound with either the speakers or the Onkyo, you'd be better off saving the $150.... and waiting till you have a little more money and finding a really nice pair of speakers.... since you already have a working system.... no point wasting money on barely noticeable upgrades....

blackraven
01-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Have you listened to the speakers that you want to buy? If so, do they sound better than the ones you currently have? If so then get the speakers. Otherwise buy the onkyo receiver, take it home and if it doesnt make a big difference return it. But IMHO, I think upgrading speakers is the way to go. Changing speakers will change the sound of your music whether its for the better or the worse. An amplifier may or may not change the sound of your speakers. And with lower end speakers, I don't think the Onkyo will make that much of a difference. You may get deeper base with the onkyo but is that what you are looking for? Larger speakers will aslo do the same thing.

Hope this helps some but in this hobby there are many opinions because audio is so subjective.

I just looked at the specs of the 2 models of the JBL's and the 610's freq response dips down to 55Hz vs 75 for your current speaker. To me thats a huge difference. If your looking at speakers in this price range, you should check out the infinity primus 160's. They are very crisp and clean sounding and can be bought for about $75 each on sale.

jrhymeammo
01-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Mr. Bamboo Forest,

I wouldnt recommend JBL unless you are getting something very similar to this.
http://a1441.g.akamai.net/7/1441/5846/011205/img.yodobashi.com/i/35/06/29/35062983.pjpeg

I heard these with a pair of SET amps, and just couldnt believe what I was hearing.

Get these. http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTAZ

or

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHT2

blackraven
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
JBL makes very high end stuff over sea's that they don't sell here in the states.

emorphien
01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
What happened to those awful sony speakers you were convinced you wanted to buy?

kexodusc
01-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Wholy crap!

N. Abstentia
01-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Why not look at some good speakers and get away from the low end stuff like JBL?

emorphien
01-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Why not look at some good speakers and get away from the low end stuff like JBL?
I think he or she has his or her fingers in his or her ears.

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 09:42 AM
To Do:

1) Save more money (~$250-350 for the next level)
2) Visit some specialty audio stores
3) Listen to GOOD small bookshelf speakers
4) Keep your receiver
5) Wait a while and save money
6) Revisit specialty audio stores
7) Listen to GOOD small bookshelf speakers again
8) Keep your receiver
9) Don't do anything until you upgrade your speakers.
10) Come here and tell us what you listened to

SlumpBuster
01-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Man, ignore all these haters, SVI! Shat! What you really need is some Hot Air Speakers! Anything less would be a waste of time!
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/speakers/inflatable_speakers_thatll_take_your_breath_away

True proud fun boy playas only listen to the finest in inflatable speakers!

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 11:02 AM
To Do:

1) Save more money (~$250-350 for the next level)
2) Visit some specialty audio stores
3) Listen to GOOD small bookshelf speakers
4) Keep your receiver
5) Wait a while and save money
6) Revisit specialty audio stores
7) Listen to GOOD small bookshelf speakers again
8) Keep your receiver
9) Don't do anything until you upgrade your speakers.
10) Come here and tell use what you listened to

As much as I hate to take this back on track, seriously this is good advice. Please, please,please follow it.

Slumpy that quote in your sig is brilliant...

emorphien
01-14-2007, 11:10 AM
http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/speakers/inflatable_speakers_thatll_take_your_breath_away

Ahh man I want to play with a set of those.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Well actualy I need speakers now or the receiver and I have already decided what I want and it's eather the HLS610 or the Onkyo so I just need your help on which is the best to buy.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I really liked the sound of the HLS series.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I believe the answer was neither.

And you like the HLS? Out of curiosity what else have you listened to? With $150, if you just saved a little more, you could get MUCH better quality speakers.

Also, any chance you can shrink that giant picture in your sig?

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Have you ever heard of delayed gratification?

Carl Reid
01-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Well actualy I need speakers now or the receiver and I have already decided what I want and it's eather the HLS610 or the Onkyo so I just need your help on which is the best to buy.

NEED? Is there something wrong with your current speakers or receiver? Are they malfunctioning? If not, then you what you mean is that you WANT either new speakers or a receiver.... the advice given to you by noddinoff is the best.... be patient and listen to multiple speakers....

But since you seem intent on tossing around some cash.... then buy the Onkyo now to satisfy your craving to 'upgrade'.....

Blue Meanie
01-14-2007, 11:43 AM

You already have a receiver and speakers, so how can you possibly "need" more speakers or another receiver NOW?:confused5:

Jeff

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. My mom did say that she can buy her own receiver but I dont know when. The HLS410 do work perfectly fine but just looks sorta like its old. So if I get a new receiver then I can use my HLS410 now but if I get the HLS610 then I can use my own amp and she will have to buy her own right now. What do you guys think is the best? Should I keep my HLS410 and get the Onkyo receiver or get the HLS610 and keep my receiver and my mom gets her own.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 12:39 PM
I think you should do neither and follow the advice given to you.

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Mr. Bamboo Forest,

You dont neccesarily have to listen to everything you buy as long as you know what to look for.

If you like, we can spend your money and buy a pair of speakers for you.

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm gonna regret this...no I already do.

$150.00 will never, ever, never-ever, under any circumstances, beyond a shadow of a doubt never, qualitatively improve your sound. Take your money and put it in your pink piggie bank or under the mattress or in a shoe box,. Save your money until you have more and then can afford something that will be better than what you already have. In the the meantime work on the steps listed earlier.. Seriously.

And take it easy on your mom. She didn't abandon you at birth.

Carl Reid
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. My mom did say that she can buy her own receiver but I dont know when. The HLS410 do work perfectly fine but just looks sorta like its old. So if I get a new receiver then I can use my HLS410 now but if I get the HLS610 then I can use my own amp and she will have to buy her own right now. What do you guys think is the best? Should I keep my HLS410 and get the Onkyo receiver or get the HLS610 and keep my receiver and my mom gets her own.

How about this? Since the grills look tired on your old speakers, why not just take off the grills and save your money?

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410 and the HLS410's grills are not looking good as new but the sound is still like new. .

I defy anyone to diagram the sentence above.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.mohammadi.ca/media/1/20050501-drawit.gif

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Well the problem is if I dont get my receiver back then I have no receiver right now. I am just using a computer speakers amp to power up my HLS410. I opened the back of the computer speakers and took the wires inside that were powering the little speakers to hook them up to my JBL's. So eather way I need to get something so I wanted to know if I should get a new Onkyo receiver or get my receiver back and get the HLS610 and my mom did say she can buy her own receiver. If I got the HLS610 then I would get more bass when I get my receiver back. But I guess I need to know which is the best to do for now. I can say using the computer speakers amp doesnt sound good at all that's for sure.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Well I would say you're better off getting your receiver back from your mom (who bought it, you or her?) and then saving to buy some better speakers. If you step past $200 a pair you can get some pretty damn good speakers for your money if you want to buy new. Paradigm, Axiom, AV123.com, HTD (know nothing about them but I keep hearing about them), Athena and a number of other companies have offerings around $200 or a little higher.

On the other hand you should also consider buying used. You can get much better bang for your buck that way in most cases, and audiogon (or ebay even) are worth looking at if you are interested in buying used.

Now, I do realize I just wasted my breath but in case you read all that and really consider your options, I think you'll find people here are trying to suggest much better ways to spend your money if you spend any at all.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Well actualy I can't right now get my receiver back since she needs it now. If I take it then she has no receiver to watch her movies. She said that if I buy the speakers instead then she will buy a receiver but it might take some time. But do you guys think I should get the speakers or the receiver??? I have to pick one. The Pioneer receiver is mine I bought it 4 years agao.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
What's yours is yours, take your damn receiver back and save for some decent speakers. Don't short-change yourself!

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM

ow! my sides hurt!

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.mohammadi.ca/media/1/20050501-drawit.gif

ow! ow! stop! I can't breath,.,

markw
01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
What's yours is yours, take your damn receiver back and save for some decent speakers. Don't short-change yourself!What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today (well, nobody's perfect).

(and we wonder why some animals eat their young?)

Blue Meanie
01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok this is the reason why I needed one of them and the reason is that right now my mom has been using my Pioneer receiver for 2 years so far and I only right now have the HLS410

Understood. You're 22. You still live with mommy. You don't have a job. Are you too mentally f*cked up to hold down a job, or what's the deal?:confused:

Jeff

emorphien
01-14-2007, 04:49 PM
What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today (well, nobody's perfect).

(and we wonder why some animals eat their young?)
There's treating your mom right, and then there's letting your mother walk all over you. Doesn't her TV have speakers? She doesn't need his receiver to watch movies then if it does.

ScrewingVanillaice... do you have a job?

markw
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
There's treating your mom right, and then there's letting your mother walk all over you. Doesn't her TV have speakers? She doesn't need his receiver to watch movies then if it does.Which begs the question, who paid for this stuff in the first place?

By the time I was 22, (in 1972) I was in and out of the Air Force, less than a year from moving out of home for my own place, and was working on my third receiver, all bought and paid for by yours truly. ...and I bought mom and dad their first color TV.

Nowadays, one can pick up a starter HT receiver for < $150. That would have made a nice Xmas gift for mom, he could have gotten his receiver back, and be using his 410's. ...everybody wins.

I guess they just make young' uns different today.

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok you guys are getting off track I am just asking which is better to get out of the two if that was the only choices?? The receiver or the speakers. Please don't get off track since I am serious about this.

noddin0ff
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Understood. You're 22. You still live with mommy. You don't have a job. Are you too mentally f*cked up to hold down a job, or what's the deal?:confused:

Jeff

um, SVI is a living legend on these boards. Let's try not to cut him up like we would just any ordinary noob. If he is anything it is most certainly not ordinary!

I will simply direct your attention here
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14426&highlight=cotton+tree

Carl Reid
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Well actualy I can't right now get my receiver back since she needs it now. If I take it then she has no receiver to watch her movies. She said that if I buy the speakers instead then she will buy a receiver but it might take some time. But do you guys think I should get the speakers or the receiver??? I have to pick one. The Pioneer receiver is mine I bought it 4 years agao.

Seriously Vanilla Ice, you obviously just want to spend money... so buy whatever you want and stop asking for opinions...

Your reasoning for why you "need" to upgrade is ridiculous...

1) Your speakers sound fine but the grills look old... What??? How can that possibly be a serious reason to spend more money? Just take off the grills, if they look crappy...

2) Your mommy has borrowed your receiver.... now that would make sense if you were just asking which receiver you should buy instead (and giving your mom your old one as a gift) but since you are thinking of buying new speakers instead, then clearly the fact that your mommy has your receiver is irrelevant.... What the heck are you gonna do with new speakers if your mommy still has your receiver?

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 05:45 PM
ok I TOLD you guys that she will buy a new receiver if I decide to buy the speakers. She will get her own since if I have my own back then she wont have one. So to get to the point I NEED to know which is better to get the Onkyo receiver for me or the HLS610??? Stop being soo rude ok. I dont have much money so I can't get everything I need OK. I made my mind up on getting the HLS610 or the receiver and I just need help on deciding which is the best choice.

Blue Meanie
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok you guys are getting off track I am just asking which is better to get out of the two if that was the only choices?? The receiver or the speakers. Please don't get off track since I am serious about this.

OK, so that answers my original question. You're too f*cked up to hold a job. Sorry to hear that. But you seem like a nice enough guy. Buy yourself a new receiver to use with your old speakers, and let mom keep the Pioneer receiver. I'm guessing she has her hands full enough worrying about what psycho you'll be hanging out with on any given day.

Speaking of psycho, who is that with you in your avatar pic? Charles Manson, Jr.? Scary lookin' dude. Gives me the willies. Make SURE he stays on his meds...:shocked:

Jeff

emorphien
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I guess they just make young' uns different today.
I don't know, I just turned 24 today. This seems like a "special" case. I looked at his forum and just from reading things here, it seems not everything was bolted together quite right when this model was on the factory floor.

ok I TOLD you guys that she will buy a new receiver if I decide to buy the speakers. She will get her own since if I have my own back then she wont have one. So to get to the point I NEED to know which is better to get the Onkyo receiver for me or the HLS610??? Stop being soo rude ok. I dont have much money so I can't get everything I need OK. I made my mind up on getting the HLS610 or the receiver and I just need help on deciding which is the best choice.
That logic and reasoning is so completely flawed. She'll give you your receiver back if you buy new speakers, but not now even though you already have speakers that need it?

In that case you might as well buy some BETTER speakers used or save $50-70 more for better speakers new and get that because evidently she's going to give it back to you as long as you buy new speakers (that makes no sense, you need it now).

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Ok so you think that I should keep my HLS410 and get the receiver? If you guys think thats the best then i will do that. But I want to know what others think. Anyways that other guy is my bf his name is Adam OK. I been with him for 3 years and we still love each other. Look at my website and goto whats new page and read about me and Adam.

http://www.velociraptor.4t.com

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know, I just turned 24 today. This seems like a "special" case. I looked at his forum and just from reading things here, it seems not everything was bolted together quite right when this model was on the factory floor.

That logic and reasoning is so completely flawed. She'll give you your receiver back if you buy new speakers, but not now even though you already have speakers that need it?

In that case you might as well buy some BETTER speakers used or save $50-70 more for better speakers new and get that because evidently she's going to give it back to you as long as you buy new speakers (that makes no sense, you need it now).I SAID that I liked the sound of the HLS series the most so I just wanted to stay in that line. I just need to know which is better to get the speakers or the receiver OK? Why cant you guys just answer that question.

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know, I just turned 24 today.

Damnation. Happy Birthday C. Emo!!!!
I hope you'll graduate soon, and start making crap loads of money.

Best Wishes,

To Mr. Bamboo Forest,

Get the Onkyo.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 06:20 PM
I SAID that I liked the sound of the HLS series the most so I just wanted to stay in that line. I just need to know which is better to get the speakers or the receiver OK? Why cant you guys just answer that question.
Have you listened to anything else? I doubt you'll like them if you experience better speakers (which can be had for less than some $400 JBLs I've noticed you use). Go find local hi-fi (even "mid-fi" if you have any) shops. You'll find some things that will just cause your jaw to drop to the floor.

edit: thanks jrhy... I feel old now, am I catching up to you?

edit^2: wow I've been reading this http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14426&highlight=cotton+tree

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Another thing I needed to know is that is there difference in overall sound compairing the HLS410 and 610? What I mean is that is it worth getting the HLS610 if I have the smaller one since the freq on the 4in can only go 75hz and the 6in can go 55hz.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Listen to them. If you actually read what other people posted you would see that specs are somewhat meaningless. Where would you be buying these speakers? At a local store? If so go listen!

Or you could just give up on JBL since they're not that good anyway.

jrhymeammo
01-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Mr. Bamboo Forest,

No one here has listened to every speakers out there and took notes, so we cant help you.

Look for speakers with this:

Power handling: 80-150 watts, 8 ohm, and from 40 to 60hz on the lowest notes.

I still have faith in you, so listen to everyone who has posted.

Emo: Are you catching up to me? Mmmmmmm... how quickly do you age?

N. Abstentia
01-14-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd get the receiver, you definitely need to get rid of that computer speaker amp.

I'd also get bigger speakers, you need to get rid of those 4" mids and step up to something with at least a 6" woofer. Avoid JBL.

There's your answer, you're welcome.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Emo: Are you catching up to me? Mmmmmmm... how quickly do you age?
Like a cat, faster at first but then gradually the aging process slows down. I fear you may already have too much of a head start.

Carl Reid
01-14-2007, 06:55 PM

The reason why people are being so "rude" to you is because you refuse to listen to any advice given to you and pretty much make a mockery of the purpose of this forum.....

The best advice is that both of your options are bad and you'd be better off saving your money and listening to other speakers..... but even so, a number of people (myself included) have actually given you advice on whether to buy the speakers or the receiver...

So all you need to do is count up the number of votes for the speakers and the number for the receiver and make your decision based on that (since you don't want to make the decision yourself)....

markw
01-14-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't know, I just turned 24 today. This seems like a "special" case. I looked at his forum and just from reading things here, it seems not everything was bolted together quite right when this model was on the factory floor.Happy B-Day. guy. Enjoy the living bejeezus outta it and have many. many more.

And yeah, I think they left out some important parts outta this model.

When we get up to your area, I'll PM ya and buy ya a drink fer the implied (but not intended) insult. We have a friend in East Rochester who we visit when she's home. She'a a missionary and travels frequently.

bobsticks
01-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I just knew that if I came back this would still be going on. I should apologise for not having read the specs on the different speakers. Had I done so much of this could have been avoided as the answer lies in simple mathematics.
100%--X(pi)=FA
To make it clearer "X" being the difference in circumference times pi subtracted from a hundred percent is equal to the percentage of of overall bass capability of the speakers compared to the industry standard, which is, of course, Florian's set of Apogee Grandes. So if one plugs in the numbers 2xpi (roughly 3.14)=6.28 subtracted from 100% is...HOLY PIXIE SNOT!!!!...if you buy the speakers you will have 92.72% of the overall bass output of Florians Apogee Grandes.

Buy the speaks, dude. You'll regret it if you don't. Have you thought about cabling? Post pics!

Florian
01-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Dear Spanky,

As a good friend of yours i recommend the following.

1. Shut the hell up and look for another forum.

eh...what are you waiting for.....?

Florian
01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
What do you owe her, anyway?

It's only your mother who didn't abort you, grew you in her womb, nursed you through your sicknesses, paid for your upkeep, and raised you to what you are today

What a waste of time :17:

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Heres the specs for the HLS610 and the HLS410.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/small/hls610.jpg
HLS610
2-Way, 6-1/2" 125 Watt Bookshelf Speaker (PAIR)

Video Shielding allows speakers to be safely placed near a TV without distorting your television's picture.

MSRP: $299.95PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1997
Last Manufactured 1999
First MSRP $329.95
General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 88
Impedance 8
Bass Driver 6-1/2"
Midrange Driver N/A
High-Frequency Driver 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 125 watts
Dimensions (H x W x D) 16 1/4 x 8 5/16 x 9 7/16"
Frequency Response (±3dB) 55 - 20kHz

__________________________________________________ ________________________

http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/small/hls410[2].jpg

HLS410

Video Shielding allows speakers to be safely placed near a TV without distorting your television's picture.

MSRP: $229.00PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1998
Last Manufactured 1999
First MSRP $229.00
General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 86
Impedance 8
4"
Midrange Driver N/A
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 100 watts
Dimensions (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
Frequency Response (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz

emorphien
01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
YOU'RE NOT LISTENING

News flash bub, nobody cares about the specs of those speakers, but I can guarantee you can do better at either price point. Why won't you listen to the advice people give you? Before complaining about how we're being mean to you or aren't helping you, pause and think about what's happening here. People who are very experienced in audio are telling you to drop your current plans.

If you can't read this, pause and say "what the hell was I thinking?" then you need your head examined. Sheesh.

Why am I bothering? I'm too bored right now!

L.J.
01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I can't believe I just wasted 10 min. of my life reading this thread :out:

I can't believe you guys keep responding back with suggestions :idea:

Where's GM, he'd be loving this thread :ciappa:

SpankingVanillaice
01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
But I told you guys that I don't want other speakers than I was talking about since I decided to get the HLS series. I know you guys are saying they are not good but I like the HLS series alot. But my main question is should I get the HLS610 that is bigger than what I have or should I get the receiver. I also need to know if my receiver is better than the Onkyo TX8522 I was talking about too. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-405.

SlumpBuster
01-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Your mom doesn't need the Pioneer receiver to watch her movies anymore...

...she's been watchin' them at my house. SVI's mom makes a mean turkey pot pie.

emorphien
01-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I can't believe you guys keep responding back with suggestions :idea:

sheer boredom/amusement

But I told you guys that I don't want other speakers than I was talking about since I decided to get the HLS series. I know you guys are saying they are not good but I like the HLS series alot. But my main question is should I get the HLS610 that is bigger than what I have or should I get the receiver. I also need to know if my receiver is better than the Onkyo TX8522 I was talking about too. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-405.
If you ever actually listened to something other than crappity crap crap speakers you probably would be looking at other speakers by now.

L.J.
01-15-2007, 07:59 AM
My first suggestion would be to save up and get some decent speakers. But since you can't seem to let those JBL's go and your just itching to spend your money, I'd say to let your poor mother keep the Pioneer, pick up that Onkyo and keep your current speakers.

Perhaps one day you'll see the light and upgrade your speakers. In the meantime, everyone should be happy.

Is it just me or has this already been suggested a thousand times!

N. Abstentia
01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I can't believe anybody could be this utterly stupid. I think we've all been had by a troll!

SpankingVanillaice
01-15-2007, 09:17 AM
So does this mean that the only difference is that the HLS610 will have little more bass and power than the HLS410 that I have and it's not worth having more bass and power than what I have?

SlumpBuster
01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I can't believe anybody could be this utterly stupid. I think we've all been had by a troll!

I know. His mother and I are at are wits end. We just don't know what to do with the boy. He won't listen to reason.

JohnMichael
01-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Heres the specs for the HLS610 and the HLS410.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/small/hls610.jpg
HLS610
2-Way, 6-1/2" 125 Watt Bookshelf Speaker (PAIR)

MSRP: $299.95PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1997
Last Manufactured 1999
First MSRP $329.95
General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 88
Impedance 8
Bass Driver 6-1/2"
Midrange Driver N/A
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 125 watts
Dimensions (H x W x D) 16 1/4 x 8 5/16 x 9 7/16"
Frequency Response (±3dB) 55 - 20kHz

__________________________________________________ ________________________

http://www.harmanaudio.com/images/products/small/hls410[2].jpg

HLS410

MSRP: $229.00PR

OTHER VIEWS:

SPECIFICATIONS

First Manufactured 1998
Last Manufactured 1999
First MSRP $229.00
General
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 86
Impedance 8
4"
Midrange Driver N/A
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 15 - 100 watts
Dimensions (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
Frequency Response (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz

Dallas I would check out this link if you want speakers with a horn loaded tweeter.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

N. Abstentia
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Dallas I would check out this link if you want speakers with a horn loaded tweeter.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

Those are sweet and will destroy those crappy JBL's.

However, Ice won't listen because they're not JBL's which he 'likes long time'.

emorphien
01-15-2007, 10:17 AM
So does this mean that the only difference is that the HLS610 will have little more bass and power than the HLS410 that I have and it's not worth having more bass and power than what I have?
my impression of you

BANANABANANAFINGERSINEARSBANANABANANARUTABAGACORNC HOWDERFISHCHEESEBANANAAPPLESBLAHBLAHNONSENSE

noddin0ff
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Whoa...did you just learn something?!

Yeah, save some money up and do the TO DO things I listed earlier...and THEN you might find a difference that is worth spending your money on. If you can open up a computer and find wires to drive your speakers, one would think you could understand this. You spend a lot of time asking about 'improvements' that are insignificant if not non-existent within your tiny world of silly contrived options. With a tiny bit of self control you could actually afford a real and significant improvent. Imagine that.

topspeed
01-15-2007, 10:32 AM
It

LIVES!

Oh man, this is the best thread I've read in a long time. :lol: Nothing better than watching a bunch of noob's, albeit well intentioned and good hearted noob's, getting schooled in the art of SVI. Those that have experienced SVI in the past know the pothole infested path you are traveling, kids. Take it with a grain of salt...followed by a shot of tequila and lime wedge...and you'll find this trip much more enjoyable.

BTW, SVI glad to hear you worked it out with Adam. Noddin and GMichael were worried. I think they sent flowers.

Now then, where's my popcorn?

emorphien
01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Nothing better than watching a bunch of noob's, albeit well intentioned and good hearted noob's, getting schooled in the art of SVI. I read the old stuff, I'm prepared.

Whoa...did you just learn something?!

Yeah, save some money up and do the TO DO things I listed earlier...and THEN you might find a difference that is worth spending your money on. If you can open up a computer and find wires to drive your speakers, one would think you could understand this. You spend a lot of time asking about 'improvements' that are insignificant if not non-existent within your tiny world of silly contrived options. With a tiny bit of self control you could actually afford a real and significant improvent. Imagine that.
Maybe he did learn something, although I'm not sure he realizes why what he said might be right.

Resident Loser
01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
...we have the Bose trolls, and the tubes vs. transistors, and the analog vs. digital, and the whole wire bit...now we can add to that list the obligatory SVI semi-seasonal appearance of "which specs sound better?"...

jimHJJ(...does the torture never stop?...)

Florian
01-15-2007, 10:46 AM
http://dabrat.lbbhost.com/CAT/ARISTOCAT-PURPLE.jpg

topspeed
01-15-2007, 10:47 AM
:skep:

SpankingVanillaice
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Do you guys know first off how small are my HLS410 they are very small and don't have alot of bass and since I like the sound of them that's why I needed a 6in then it would give the same sound but more bass which is perfect. I think getting a bigger speaker will sound better than getting a better receiver. I don't even know if the Onkyo will give more better sound since if I just get that then the speakers are still small 4in.

Florian
01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Both speakers suck and have NO bass....ZERO bass....

SpankingVanillaice
01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Ahh actualy the 6in has gone down to 55hz which is 20hz lower than mine. So that means more bass and power too since mine is 100 watts and 6in is 125 watts.

emorphien
01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Ahh actualy the 6in has gone down to 55hz which is 20hz lower than mine. So that means more bass and power too since mine is 100 watts and 6in is 125 watts.
That may be, but why buy a low quality speaker with a 6.5" driver when you can get a much better speaker without having to spend more. If those speakers are $330, there are a lot of better choices at and below that price that also have 6.5" drivers and will offer more refined sound quality (AV123, Axiom, Paradigm, etc etc etc).

JohnMichael
01-15-2007, 12:29 PM

A couple of extra inches is a good thing. When it comes to bass.

Florian
01-15-2007, 12:36 PM
A couple of extra inches is a good thing. When it comes to bass.

Now and i thought you take your sandwiches in foot longs ;-) *

*only meant as a friendly joke, i hope it came across correctly.

Spanky, 65Hz or 55Hz is NOT bass!!! For heavens sake 55Hz is nothing. 75Hz is where my midrange panel pics up.

basite
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM

God why, GOD!!! WHYYY

specs don't make the sound
don't trust specs from cheap speakers, they are lies, even if they looked real, they're not,
that speaker will not even reach 55hz with you hearing it

STOP WITH THE SPECS, THEY ARE NOT WHAT YOU GET!

especially not on cheap things.

so, where were we,
ah, yes, what you get: buying the JBL's, you get crap, loads of it, stuffed in a little box,
et something else, there were some other things suggested here.
forget JBL
now, next lesson,

READ OTHER'S PEOPLE'S POSTS TOO!
trust me, really usefull stuff in there.

now, any self-respecting dude will learn from what I just said.

unless you don't qualify for above's things mentioned, then do what WE SAID!

Greetings,
Bert.

P.S. Happy B-Day Emo!:cornut:

God I must be bored...

JohnMichael
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Now and i thought you take your sandwiches in foot longs ;-) *

*only meant as a friendly joke, i hope it came across correctly.

Spanky, 65Hz or 55Hz is NOT bass!!! For heavens sake 55Hz is nothing. 75Hz is where my midrange panel pics up.

Yes I laughed. Of course I was trying to think of something GMichael might say since he is not with us today.

SpankingVanillaice
01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
There is one thing I know about JBL is that they dont lie and I talked to alot of tech guys at JBL and they all know what they are saying and doing and so the speakers specs are 100% current and that's a fact.

emorphien
01-15-2007, 01:00 PM
There is one thing I know about JBL is that they dont lie and I talked to alot of tech guys at JBL and they all know what they are saying and doing and so the speakers specs are 100% current and that's a fact.
You are quite naive then if you believe that. There are no guarantees that specs from one manufacturer actually mean what you think they will. You need to hear a speaker to judge it, and as many have already said but you are too ignorant to listen to, there are better options that actually cost less than the JBL speakers.

It's also quite obvious that you lack the knowledge/expertise to judge whether the specs provided by a manufacturer are correct.

Florian
01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Spanking VI ...you are an idiot. Is this clear enough? You are an absolut morron. I work with tons of people all around the world and i have never ever met someone as stupid as you. Never!

markw
01-15-2007, 01:23 PM
There is one thing I know about JBL is that they dont lie and I talked to alot of tech guys at JBL and they all know what they are saying and doing and so the speakers specs are 100% current and that's a fact.But I'll bet they don't want to play with you any more than we do. So, until things change, I guess you'll just have to keep on playing with yourself.

JohnMichael
01-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Like moths to a flame SVI does draw us into his threads.

emorphien
01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
But I'll bet they don't want to play with you any more than we do. So, until things change, I guess you'll just have to keep on playing with yourself.
and his boyfriend... although how his boyfriend puts up with him I cannot fathom

audio_dude
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
haha, yeah, I go to a fancy arts high school where there are a lot of gay guys, none are stupid, and most certainly aren't as stubborn and absolutly refuse nice, friendly information...

especially after you ASKED THE QUESTION! these people are trying to HELP! can you get that through your thick scull?

oh yeah, one more thing...

JBL=
J unkie
B ut
L oud

Florian
01-15-2007, 03:37 PM
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/spanky.JPG

N. Abstentia
01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
That's CLASSIC!!!

Carl Reid
01-15-2007, 05:36 PM
My first suggestion would be to save up and get some decent speakers. But since you can't seem to let those JBL's go and your just itching to spend your money, I'd say to let your poor mother keep the Pioneer, pick up that Onkyo and keep your current speakers.

Perhaps one day you'll see the light and upgrade your speakers. In the meantime, everyone should be happy.

Is it just me or has this already been suggested a thousand times!

Nope, it's not just you.... that has been suggested numerous times in this thread already.....

Congats to Spanky though! This is the best thread by a Troll I've read on this site in a long long time.....

It's just one of those threads that keeps drawing us back into it....even though we all know that no one can possibly be as stupid as Spanky pretends to be..... but it is a good thread... very entertaining....

topspeed
01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
mmmmphh...grkl....

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Stoppit! Yer killin' me! :lol: :lol:

Oooh man, I think I just pee'd a little.

Your best post.

EVER!

basite
01-16-2007, 07:30 AM

you moron,

don't you get it?

if all the jbl dealers, tech guys, anyone related with JBL say it's bad, then jbl will go down, and all those guys will lose their job and thereby lose all they have left in their miserable lifes.
think about it.

now take a rest, make sure your mind's clear, because now there is something you must learn...

ready?

JBL is CRAP,
SPECS on CHEAP CRAP are LIES,
any MONEY spent on JBL CRAP is WASTED MONEY
there IS ALOT BETTER for that PRICE,

and last, but not least,
BUYING the SAME things in different colours and a different package, will NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL.

and SAVE ON, AND BUY SOMEHTING GOOD.

Got it?

now go out your mental clinic and do something useful.

Not so much Greetings,
Bert.

basite
01-16-2007, 11:57 AM

(add anything else 'weird' that spany said)

Kids,
this is what happens if you do drugs,

so don't do drugs...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio_dude
01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
flo, thats abosolutly classic, and that a pretty nice photoshop job for what, 3 or 4 in the morning?

LOL XD

I can't take it, i'm never coming back to this thread again!

blackraven
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Man, you guys are are cut throat!

JeffKnob
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
SVI,

I say keep your speakers and your receiver. Get a subwoofer. Here is one in your price range: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-635

You will keep the sound you like and get MUCH more bass than you will ever get with those bigger speakers.

GMichael
01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes I laughed. Of course I was trying to think of something GMichael might say since he is not with us today.

I liked it. Great job to both of you. Sorry about being away so long.

Hi Spanky,

Glad to see you posting again. Sorry that I can't help you with your choices. I hope that you find something to your liking.

Dusty Chalk
01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
JBL is CRAPDude, not all JBL is crap. Have you heard anything about the K2 S9800?

anamorphic96
01-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Dude, not all JBL is crap. Have you heard anything about the K2 S9800?

Agreed. Actually the HLS series was one of the better designs JBL launched. Especially the 610's. There new studio monitors they sell on the pro end are actually exceptional sounding. As well as the stuff used in cinemas.

The new studio line on the consumer end is not bad as well. They just require high quality amp's to sound there best.

Actually SVI. The speakers you where selling on e-bay where the best speakers you had and should have never been sold. You should have kept those and got a sub. In fact the sub suggested above from parts express has been the best suggestion of this whole thread.

basite
01-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Dude, not all JBL is crap. Have you heard anything about the K2 S9800?

yes, that's not crap, sorry for the 'bad' explanation, I know not all JBL speakers are crap, but the ones that spanky is looking at are.
I know JBL makes high end speakers, and that they also make professional gear, our 'local' cinema uses jbl, and it sounds good.

but spanky's just aren't...

so hereby I correct that false statement,
and I will say

Those JBL's are crap.

(with "those" referring to spanky's)

Greetings,
Bert.

SpankingVanillaice
01-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Agreed. Actually the HLS series was one of the better designs JBL launched. Especially the 610's. There new studio monitors they sell on the pro end are actually exceptional sounding. As well as the stuff used in cinemas.

The new studio line on the consumer end is not bad as well. They just require high quality amp's to sound there best.

Actually SVI. The speakers you where selling on e-bay where the best speakers you had and should have never been sold. You should have kept those and got a sub. In fact the sub suggested above from parts express has been the best suggestion of this whole thread.I know that the S26 I had were the best speakers I had but I wanted soo baddly the HLS610 or so since those speakers have the polycarbonated dome tweeters with that THX horn. I like the sound of the Poly tweeters and the bass I remember was really good too. I really did take a good listen to them before when they were out in stores and I was amazed on the deep bass but they were too expensive. So my dad got the HLS410 for my b-day and I was really happy. I was hoping though that the HLS series would continue until I can buy my own HLS610 but they stoped making them which made me upset. But now I can buy them and I found one on E-Bay that is almost as new so I was really excited. I know the studio series were better line but since that the HLS series were the first JBL I ever owned and heard in stores it brings me memories when I was 14 and 15and the amazements of how sound can be since before the HLS410 I had I used boom boxes that sucked. Anyways this is why I want the HLS series alot so I will probley get the HLS610 that's on E-Bay now after the check clears from the person who bought my JBL S26.

emorphien
01-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, but have you listened to anything else in your price range? You can do MUCH better than JBL for $250-350 you doofus. Don't limit yourself to what little you know.

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I would like to give one GREAT advice to all the noobs. This is not the time to post a new thread if you got questions. Everything here is too busy wit what Mr. Bamboo Forest has to say.

basite
01-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I would like to give one GREAT advice to all the noobs. This is not the time to post a new thread if you got questions. Everything here is too busy wit what Mr. Bamboo Forest has to say.

So that's the reason why it's so quiet these days...:cornut:

Spanky, (or Mr Bamboo Forest, like JRA calls you)

you should really widen you options, there is alot of stuff out of there that will beat those jbl's in that price class, right now, i'm thinking about paradigm, wharfedale, monitor audio, focal, kef, ..., a used b&w, really, you should check them out too.

i'm sure you'll like them.

really, those guys here helped me alot, and they made me do different things than that i would do without there help, my speakers would have ended up on the wall for example, and heck, they even really talked me in vinyl (Thnx JRA, it rules) you should really trust them, read what they are saying,

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

N. Abstentia
01-17-2007, 04:40 PM
They should do a reality TV show about this deaf gay asian...it would absolutely kill! Flavar Flav, Danny Bonadouche, Tommy Lee all got shows..why not this nimrod?

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
, and heck, they even really talked me in vinyl (Thnx JRA, it rules)

wow, take it easy there Bert. I dont want SVI to start asking about vinyl rigs....

Mr. Bamboo Forest,

.................................. so, what's new?

SpankingVanillaice
01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Whos Mr. Bamboo Forest?? I don't know whos screen name that is. :confused5: Well anyways I decided to buy the HLS610 and when I get the personal check cleared from the person who got my S26 I will buy the HLS610 for sure. :)

bobsticks
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I know that the S26 I had were the best speakers I had but I wanted soo baddly the HLS610 or so since those speakers have the polycarbonated dome tweeters with that THX horn. I know the studio series were better line but since that the HLS series were the first JBL I ever owned and heard in stores it brings me memories when I was 14 and 15and the amazements of how sound can be since before the HLS410 I had I used boom boxes that sucked. .

Just so we're all of the same level of understanding here, you knowingly traded a superior speaker for an admittedly inferior speaker so you could curl up with yer blankey and re-live your formative years. Now you come hat-in-hand to the forum wanting to know if you should "trade up" to a less-inferior speaker or buy a receiver for that scintillating less-sucky sound. That sound 'bout right?

You win the award... 2353

emorphien
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Whos Mr. Bamboo Forest?? I don't know whos screen name that is. :confused5: Well anyways I decided to buy the HLS610 and when I get the personal check cleared from the person who got my S26 I will buy the HLS610 for sure. :)
nobody really cares. Whatever you ask and whatever we say, you go ahead and do whatever it is you decided beforehand, no matter how stupid it is. :ciappa:

audio_dude
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
"those speakers have the polycarbonated dome tweeters with that THX horn"

hmm, thats gotta be the funniest n00b quote i've ever seen...

SVI, you are a complete and utterly incompetent moron who can't listen and you only come to this place so you can try and trick someone into confirming your naive beleifs that all speaker companies tell the total truth on everything... why not just go to the dollar store, but a $1 portable radio, WITH EARPHONES!!, and bask in the superior sound quality and workmanship, listen to that nice rumbly bass, that smooth-as-silk midrange and that perfectly tuned top end!

there, problem solved, and you've saved yourself $149... now go give you boyfriend a BJ and get on with life!!!

#$^#@$^#@$&@#$E%@$^@$&^@$%@#^@$%@$^!!!!!

Carl Reid
01-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Just so we're all of the same level of understanding here, you knowingly traded a superior speaker for an admittedly inferior speaker so you could curl up with yer blankey and re-live your formative years. Now you come hat-in-hand to the forum wanting to know if you should "trade up" to a less-inferior speaker or buy a receiver for that scintillating less-sucky sound. That sound 'bout right?

You win the award... 2353

I don't think that award could have gone to a more deserving person!

Dusty Chalk
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
What should I do?Go away.

jrhymeammo
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
竹林....... that's your last name.

竹(ta ke)=Bamboo
林(hayashi)= woodland/forest

竹林(takebayashi) = Bamboo Forest.

there you go. Any question, Mr. Bamboo Forest?

I've seen your Dinosaur site and came across your last name.

emorphien
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
竹林....... that's your last name.

竹(ta ke)=Bamboo
林(hayashi)= woodland/forest

竹林(takebayashi) = Bamboo Forest.

there you go. Any question, Mr. Bamboo Forest?

I've seen your Dinosaur site and came across your last name.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SpankingVanillaice
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Its actualy spelled Tatebayashi so you misspelled my last name. :rolleyes5:

basite
01-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I dont want SVI to start asking about vinyl rigs....

yeah, me neither

**** man, thinking about that,

it just gave me a headache...

why did I post in this thread, why?

nah, whatever, thread's over, spanky bougth his 'speakers'
probably he'll be gone for a while now...

I hope...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Its actualy spelled Tatebayashi so you misspelled my last name. :rolleyes5:
sorry about that mister takebayashi

jrhymeammo
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
that's too bad, cuz I've always wanted to make a bong outta bamboo,

GMichael
01-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Spanky,

Did you pick out the speakers yet? How about the receiver? What is it you're gonna do?

By the way, are you still seeing Adam? Does he come to see you? Do you drive yet? Have you gone to see him? Does he still mail you....uh.... things?

GMichael
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Where's GM, he'd be loving this thread :ciappa:

I've been busy with a family thing.

Glad to see Spanky back. He sure knows how to liven up a room.

GMichael
01-18-2007, 02:17 PM

Nice. Don't hold back so much. It's not good for you.

L.J.
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey Spanky,

Did you pick out the speakers yet? How about the receiver? What is it you're gonna do?

By the way, are you still seeing Adam? Does he come to see you? Do you drive yet? Have you gone to see him? Does he still mail you....uh.... things?

Didn't you read the sign..................................DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

GMichael
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Didn't you read the sign..................................DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Sorry, but better trolls than bears aye?

Carl Reid
01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

HAHAHAHAHA... Nice one!

bobsticks
01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't think of it as feeding so much as verbally lobbing foetid excrement...

N. Abstentia
01-18-2007, 07:05 PM
How long has it been since we've had a six page thread about ANYTHING in this forum?

Who knew it would be about a deaf dumb gay guy in a bamboo forest inhibited by dinosaurs??? What is this...Brokeback Jurassic Bamboo Forest??

Dusty Chalk
01-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't think of it as feeding so much as verbally lobbing foetid excrement......which, unfortunately, is what trolls live on.

GMichael
01-19-2007, 06:17 AM
How long has it been since we've had a six page thread about ANYTHING in this forum?

Who knew it would be about a deaf dumb gay guy in a bamboo forest inhibited by dinosaurs??? What is this...Brokeback Jurassic Bamboo Forest??

That would be, "Lost in Brokeback Jurassic Bamboo Forest.(with a twist)"

markw
01-19-2007, 07:45 AM
hmmm.... a new theory as to why they went extinct.

L.J.
01-19-2007, 08:05 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

basite
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM

maybe they all ran away from spanky,

or from the noise the speakers created...

were is spanky anyway? haven't seen him lately...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emorphien
01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
mr takebayashi is more than likely upset with us

markw
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
mr takebayashi is more than likely upset with usThen the plan worked! ;)

basite
01-19-2007, 12:55 PM
*jumps around in his room because he's happy*

GMichael
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh man. I like Spanky. He really knows how to liven things up around here. Just ask a question, ignore the answers, and ask more questions. It's a great formula for sparks.

You gotta admit, he did spice up the place. I wonder how his cat is doing.

SpankingVanillaice
01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh man. I like Spanky. He really knows how to liven things up around here. Just ask a question, ignore the answers, and ask more questions. It's a great formula for sparks.

You gotta admit, he did spice up the place. I wonder how his cat is doing.Ahhhh my cat Meow Meow died almost 2 years agao so we are looking for another persion or similar type of cat.

SpankingVanillaice
01-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok guys lets quit getting rude and mean at people and talk about audio stuff. :)

emorphien
01-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok guys lets quit getting rude and mean at people and talk about audio stuff. :)
Mr. Takebayashi, why would we talk about audio stuff when you don't listen? :confused5:

N. Abstentia
01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Ahhhh my cat Meow Meow died almost 2 years agao so we are looking for another persion or similar type of cat.

Wait..your cat died 2 years ago yet you posted pictures here 3 months ago with a LITTER BOX in your room. Are you keeping Meow Meow's turds at bedside as a keepsake or something?

Florian
01-20-2007, 02:16 AM
Hahhaha......i think you misstook the cat ****ter box with his bed. Its easy to mix up :incazzato:

GMichael
01-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Ahhhh my cat Meow Meow died almost 2 years agao so we are looking for another persion or similar type of cat.

I knew about meow meow, but I thought you had gotten another kitty.
Your cottonwood died off too right? Did you replace that?

We got two cats (Tigger and Autumn) after Scruffy past on.
No trees.

Didn't you already pick the speakers you liked?

jt1stcav
01-21-2007, 01:22 PM
I just read this thread for the first time today...I haven't laughed this hard in years!:lol:

Resident Loser
01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
...should be fairly obvious by now that this boys' locknuts are a tad loose...

jimHJJ(...perhaps well beyond a tad...)

markw
01-24-2007, 09:22 AM
...should be fairly obvious by now that this boys' locknuts are a tad loose...

jimHJJ(...perhaps well beyond a tad...)I think he's been tightening his locknuts a bit too much lately.

Resident Loser
01-24-2007, 09:25 AM

...a dead one?

jimHJJ(...???...)

N. Abstentia
01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/images/Image14.jpg

Resident Loser
01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/images/Image14.jpg

...have w-a-a-a-y too much free time...Like I should talk...have you ever actually visited his site? Talk about a waste of bandwidth...from the expropriated, copyrighted fotosearch.com wallpaper (of the two young boys) to the content of the so-called forums...most of the traffic is authored by SVI hisownself...good-golly Miss Molly...BTW, there's really very little mention of the extinct critters, unless you consider JBLs to be dinosaurs, that is...

jimHJJ(...ah, the virtual world...)

blackraven
01-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok, I'm relatively new to this forum, so clue me in. Whats an SVI?

Resident Loser
01-24-2007, 01:38 PM

...but don't say I didn't warn you...Spanking Vanillaice

jimHJJ(...oh man. I can't believe I typed that...I feel so creepy...gotta get some lab-grade isopropyl and disinfect my keyboard...YOU owe me pal...)

blackraven
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Lmfao

SpankingVanillaice
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok you guys made alot of weird posts since I came back to check this forum. Anyways you guys probley never seen my website.

Mike Anderson
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Some of us happen to believe that SVI is actually a performance artist.
And a brilliant one at that -- in the tradition of Borat, say.

Honestly, I couldn't generate this kind of material no matter how hard I tried!

emorphien
01-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok you guys made alot of weird posts since I came back to check this forum. Anyways you guys probley never seen my website.

your boyfriend is absolutely creepy looking

jrhymeammo
01-24-2007, 10:25 PM

c'mon dude, that was almost too harsh even for SVI.

Anyways, let get to something more interesting. How do you like your Totem? No, I'm talking about your new speakers. You are one sick puppy, Emo.

1 Requst to SVI.

PLEASE START A BLOG ON THIS SITE.

I'm not joking, I'm serious.

Resident Loser
01-25-2007, 06:04 AM

...which website should we visit, the one you are now directing us to or this one linked to a previous post:

www.vanillaice378.proboards74.com

...hence my earlier remarks regarding it and my visit to it...

And while it may be camera perspective (or poor photoshop techniques), your new avatar gives new meaning to the phrase " a little head"...

jimHJJ(...figure that one out slick...)

Resident Loser
01-25-2007, 06:13 AM

...I'll probably get some flak for this but when I was a kid in the '50s, carved and unshorn coconut heads were, for some unknown reason, in vogue...An uncle of mine had two and they always gave me the willies...I'd completely forgotten about them...

jimHJJ(...until now...)

Bernd
01-25-2007, 06:27 AM
...I'll probably get some flak for this but when I was a kid in the '50s, carved and unshorn coconut heads were, for some unknown reason, in vogue...An uncle of mine had two and they always gave me the willies...I'd completely forgotten about them...

jimHJJ(...until now...)

Hey Jim come on now. Don't let me dangling here. Tell all about those coconut heads, will you now. Have I missed out?

Keep'm spinning

Bernd:thumbsup:

noddin0ff
01-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Hopeless junkie that I am, I will just provide a link to a primer on the multiple worlds available on SVI's site. I believe it is still current enough

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16215

(and, parenthetically, I don't think it's right to slam his choice of boyfriend. The boyfriend has many many heath issues...you could spend hours contemplating them. I like a good chuckle as much as the next person, but this is still a real person here. Or art.)

Resident Loser
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Hey Jim come on now. Don't let me dangling here. Tell all about those coconut heads, will you now. Have I missed out?

Keep'm spinning

Bernd:thumbsup:

...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...consider yourself forewarned...your wish is my command, voila!

jimHJJ(...IMHO uncanny...)

Bernd
01-25-2007, 08:53 AM
...they say a picture is worth a thousand words...consider yourself forewarned...your wish is my command, voila!

jimHJJ(...IMHO uncanny...)

WOW. Nightmares for me tonight then. Uncanny is the word.
Thanks Jim. How is everything with you?

Keep'm spinning

Bernd:21:

Resident Loser
01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
WOW. Nightmares for me tonight then. Uncanny is the word.
Thanks Jim. How is everything with you?

Keep'm spinning

...talk about nightmares...DISCLAIMER: A parody...any resemblance to a living thing is purely coincidental...

Okee-dokee on this end, winter has finally arrived...

jimHJJ(...BTW Happy New Year...)

Bernd
01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
...talk about nightmares...DISCLAIMER: A parody...any resemblance to a living thing is purely coincidental...

Man that is creepy.Thanks a lot. No sleep for me then.

Good to hear all is well with you.:thumbsup: Winter here too. Snow since Monday.

And a Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Keep'm spinning

emorphien
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
How do you like your Totem?
Great overall tonal balance, highs are extended and detailed and I am constantly surprised by the depth and punch of bass, as well as accuracy. I've fed it some complicated materials and while I expected to find some limitations, they aren't enough to be an issue in my small room. Transient response is much better than my older speakers, the smaller drivers seem to be able to react much more quickly but can still create the fullness and richness following the attack, and in fact are better at that than my older speakers well since one-note bass isn't as much of an issue. From what I've been listening to I can tell that the extension is lower and more linear as well... and that Undersound album I downloaded from one of these audio forums is just a blast to play on them. They don't get bogged down or mired in trying to recreate the details, so I have really enjoyed them for music that is more upbeat or has a lighter, more progressive sound as they dance along the top of the notes more easily and with more detail (yes, danced along the top of the notes, I have played my fair share of jazz :) ).

I know the Totems have a limit to how loud they can play, they're not known as a manufacturer of speakers for getting extremely high output (my old speakers could probably play louder "better"), but so far I've not hit the wall and to do so would be well beyond my threshold for pain.

It would be no lie to say they're better in almost all ways than the Axioms they replaced, but at more than 3x the price I would hope so. The Axioms are great for volume and they have a fun, energetic sound, but the Totems just tell you more about the music and let you have all the details while retaining a warmth that I like. I wouldn't tell anyone that they are the most neutral speaker in the world, but that's not what I wanted anyway.

Resident Loser
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
...AUDIO...what was the friggin' premise for this thread anywho?

You want more bottom (no pun intended) get a decent sub as someone suggested and the diff between the receivers and speakers you are asking about is minimal at best and you will most likely not hear any real difference whatsoever and a new receiver will not provide more bass unless you turn up the bass and it has the power to provide for the increase of bass and it takes ten times the power to sound twice as loud and the sound will become boomy and muddy and generally nasty because the bass boost will extend beyond where you want it to be to where you don't want it to be and the difference between a speaker that that specs out a 50Hz goes less than one third of an octave lower than one that stops at 60 Hz and it really doesn't stop it's just that it's useful output goes lower than the down 3db point considered to be hi-fi and the reason JBL speakers are used in most theaters is because they are horn loaded and produce higher SPLs with lower power and what do you mean dinosaurs never flew ever hear of the pteradactyl and the probable fossil links of archaeopterix which were only birds in the vaguest of ways resulting in modern birds and you probably should just get yourself a decent set of headphones and screw the speakers and let your mother watch Oprah and Jerry and Judge Judy and maybe she would catch onto your still livin' at home and slap some sense into you and then you could tell Adam to go p!$$ up a rope and just stop asking nitwit questions about specs and go listen to some real speakers in a store where there are people who can smack the stinkin' fertilizer out of you when you beome as irritating as we all know you can be..

jimHJJ(...mother Mary and Joseph you are hopeless...)

basite
01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Good to hear all is well with you.:thumbsup: Winter here too. Snow since Monday.

ooh, snow there too...
yesterday it 'snowed' a little, not much, not even enough to roll a decent snowball, but there are signs of winter now, that's the most important thing...

it was kinda weird though, first time it actually freezed this winter, and it went from 10-15°C to 1 in exactly one day...

anyways, I hope it will snow some more here...

and I hope you're well too...
I surely am.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
01-25-2007, 02:26 PM

That is it, I am going to quit my day job. I am so far behind on my SVI threads.

jrhymeammo
01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
OH MY GOD!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So uncanny, it's scary

JM is right. If this keeps up, I'm never gonna meet people in Lexington.

emorphien
01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
he's found AVS forum, this should be really funny because they're all a bunch of sissy nanny boo boos over there anyway.

Blue Meanie
01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
he's found AVS forum, this should be really funny because they're all a bunch of sissy nanny boo boos over there anyway.

Just accidently stumbled across the 'boy wonder' here, too:

http://tinyurl.com/2wk2yn

Haven't had a chance to read his posts yet...

Jeff
P.S. Did you add him to your 'buddy list' at AVS, LOL?

compaqguy
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
This thread title really needs to be changed to "Trolling 101"

GMichael
04-13-2007, 05:23 AM
This thread title really needs to be changed to "Trolling 101"

Holy thread revival Batman!

We have another that's up for that name. Check the one in my sig below.

basite
04-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Holy thread revivalČ

Where is spanky actually?

compaqguy
04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Holy thread revivalČ

Where is spanky actually?

probably searching for info on the Autofellatio Audio BJ's I told him about in another forum... :-)