Hey fellow guitar players... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey fellow guitar players...

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I just went onto OLGA to look up some music and found that it's offline due to a nasty takedown letter from the National Music Publishers Association (NMPA). :incazzato:

I wouldn't mind so much if there was another way to get transcribed music song by song, but I hate paying $30 for a guitar book that only has one or two good songs in it.

Some of my other faves are still on-line. But I wonder how long that'll last. :(

JoeE SP9
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
It's just another example of lawyers with no heart screwing their market. You would think they would learn.:ihih:

Swish
01-12-2007, 04:27 AM
I just went onto OLGA to look up some music and found that it's offline due to a nasty takedown letter from the National Music Publishers Association (NMPA). :incazzato:

I wouldn't mind so much if there was another way to get transcribed music song by song, but I hate paying $30 for a guitar book that only has one or two good songs in it.

Some of my other faves are still on-line. But I wonder how long that'll last. :(

...sites with more content. Try http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ which I've found to be among the best, although there are several others worthy of mention.

Swish

kexodusc
01-12-2007, 04:38 AM
OLGA was great back in the day (waaaay back). There's still tons of other sites out there FA, a bit of Googling should simplify things.
ultimate-guitar is a pretty good one.
To be honest, I've found it easier just to search for a song in Google than to go to a site and search their library. I don't think there's any shortages or danger of music being available online. As long as there's 13 year old kids with dreams of being guitar-heroes there'll be tabs on the 'net.

Resident Loser
01-12-2007, 06:06 AM
...exactly when I last purchased sheet music...It may have been the book for Dylan's Blonde On Blonde when the album was first released back in '60-whatever...As my guitar skills improved I found it much easier, cheaper and in some cases more accurate to "figure it out" on my own...Most pop stuff falls into classic chord progressions with the occasional variants...Sure it takes a while and a good ear, but it's also a learning experience...in many instances you can substitute broken chords and use passing notes in place of the strum, strum, strum overtones and finger positions provided by sheet music...you tend to find out there's really nothing new under the sun...

Of course, when dealing with classical guitar, sheet music helps...but a good ear and experience can still aid in "faking it"... But even so, the last piece I recall obtaining sheet music for was Fernando Sor's "Varitaion On A Theme From Mozart's Die Zauberflote"...for nearly free (cost: 10cents a sheet at the photocopier)...at my local public library...

jimHJJ(...FWIW...)

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Try http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ which I've found to be among the best, although there are several others worthy of mention.

Swish

I use Ultimate Guitar quite a lot also. I just found that OLGA had such great archives that I could find stuff there that I couldn't find on the other sites.

salad 419
01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm sure you know of harmonycentral.com

If not, there are quite a few tab links as well as tons of musician stuff to keep you occupied for quite some time. BUT, you always have to stop here first.

Swish
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm sure you know of harmonycentral.com

If not, there are quite a few tab links as well as tons of musician stuff to keep you occupied for quite some time. BUT, you always have to stop here first.

But they do have plenty of value outside of OLGA.

Swish

JDaniel
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Me Me! Oh, wait, you said fellow guitar players.

I'm just a member of the fellow guitar owners club. I own an Alvarez acoustic, and Washburn electric. But owning and playing are quite different.

One of these days, I'm going to learn how to play.......

JD