Another dumb girl question from FA [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb girl question from FA

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
What's it mean when your speakers start to buzz?

I have this nice little Bose system hooked up in my office. Two small speakers and a sub-woofer. It's a multi-media system meant for computers. But I use it to hook up a portable CD player and my iPod. It takes up almost no space and makes for some pretty nice sounds. Until today...

The right speaker is occasionally letting out a nasty little buzz. I've checked all the cables and connections and everything looks okay.

I'm not big on equipment knowledge. I just know what sounds good. I don't know how nothing works. Is my speaker dying? Can I save it? :(

Dusty Chalk
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
You blasted it for too long.

Time to upgrade!

kexodusc
01-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Our office's conference rooms all have Bose speakers for some reason - little cube things. I've had to tighten several screws to stop what I'd describe as a "buzzing" sound.
Not sure it's the same problem you're having though. You'll need a torx screwdriver. Dont' remember what size.
Easy way to test if this is the case - reproduce the buzzing using whatever song excites it - then, while it's buzzing, use your finger to press against the frame of the driver (speaker). Don't touch the cone itself, just the frame. If that stops the buzzing, this should be an easy fix - just tighten the screws up some. They do come loose over time. Don't overtighten though.

Could be the driver is at the end of its life though - Good news is it shouldn't cost much to upgrade to something better, worst case scenario....

bobsticks
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I absolutely love "Oops I did it again!" by Britney Spears. It's my fav. Me and my friends at work like to blast it and dance around the conference room. We get those little Bose cubes rocking!

Well, I think we all know what happened and how it happened. I think the question is "What are you going to do about it?'. Maybe four or five of you could chip in and buy all of SVI's monitors. I'm sure they could stand up to the intense pounding of yer teen-heart-throb tunage and then we could finally put to rest the question of which pair is truly "best".

Kiss Kiss :D

kexodusc
01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Well, I think we all know what happened and how it happened. I think the question is "What are you going to do about it?'. Maybe four or five of you could chip in and buy all of SVI's monitors. I'm sure they could stand up to the intense pounding of yer teen-heart-throb tunage and then we could finally put to rest the question of which pair is truly "best".

Kiss Kiss :D
:eek:

This inside joke obviously wasn't meant for me...

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
:eek:

This inside joke obviously wasn't meant for me...

I'm not sure what the inside joke is here either. But he had me laughing hard enough to make my eyes tear up!

And it's true. I do have a nice pair.

...or at least I did until one started to buzz. ;)

Thanks for the laugh bobby. :lol:

bobsticks
01-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Sorry about the vagueries, and by SVI I of course meant SpankingVanillaIce which I assume makes the whole thing actually worse if that's possible...

...and, ma'am, I would never comment on a married lady's "pair".

aevans
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
make sure you are not getting any interferance from other electronics.. a common problem if your cellphone is too close to the amp.

is it buzzing randomly at all volumes levels, or just when "blasting"?

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2007, 06:25 PM
make sure you are not getting any interferance from other electronics.. a common problem if your cellphone is too close to the amp.

is it buzzing randomly at all volumes levels, or just when "blasting"?

This just started happening, so I'm not sure yet whether something is triggering the problem or whether it's random. I did just get a Blackberry this week. So, I guess it's possible that the Blackberry could be interfering. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I don't blast these speakers. I play them at a loud but reasonable volume so as not to disturb my neighbours. They also aren't really built to blast.

I'll have to pay more attention to the volume and type of music playing when the buzz kicks in. As well as whether my Blackberry is on or off.

Thanks for the tips all. If I can't resolve this I'll come back to you for upgrade suggestions. :)

P mac
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
It's busted. Does it have warranty? Bring it back to Best buy....

GMichael
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
And it's true. I do have a nice pair.

...or at least I did until one started to buzz. ;)

Errr? I go away for a little while and look what happens.

Good luck with that buzz. Kex may be right (as usual). Just a little twist may do the trick.

ForeverAutumn
01-18-2007, 07:57 AM
This just started happening, so I'm not sure yet whether something is triggering the problem or whether it's random. I did just get a Blackberry this week. So, I guess it's possible that the Blackberry could be interfering. I wouldn't have thought of that.

So here's something interesting. I was standing by my Assistant's desk yesterday with my Blackberry in my purse. She has a radio on her desk and the speaker was buzzing like my speaker did. So I asked her whether her radio does that often. She said that it was the first time that had ever happened.

I'm thinking that the problem is interference from the Blackberry. I haven't experienced the problem again on my own speakers.

Weird.